Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

new batch of mixed saltwater is alk 9 calc 420

alk was 8 prior to wc, dosed 15ml of B before the change

I'm thinking of getting a 30D or 40D. Thoughts?

Is the 5D really expensive? Easy to upload? Etc?

You should be able to find 5d, 30d, 40d and everything else used on forums like fredmiranda.com or even ebay i would think to check out prices.

I had a 30D once, I thought it was a solid camera. You might like it better than a 5d because it shoots faster, more pictures per second, which if you want to take pictures of any sort of 'action' can be handy to have. 5D is older now, most of the newer cameras have higher iso capabilities which (skipping the details) lets you take pictures in less and less light. Wish I had that for the fish tank shots!

i just got a canon rebel xsi and I can't wait to get a 100mm macro lens and get some pictures

Great! Rebels are good cameras, have used them even since the days of film.

Glad you all like the pics!

animalmaster6

I think I'll be getting the 30D. To many good things about it.

Does the Canon 30D shoot pics as well as the ones you jsut posted?

I think I'll be getting the 30D. To many good things about it.

Does the Canon 30D shoot pics as well as the ones you jsut posted?

Short answer - yes it does. But don't expect out of the camera shots to look like those. I try and compose the shot before I take the picture, but sometimes crop the image afterwards in lightroom or photoshop. Then there's adjusting contrast and sharpening parts of the image, etc. Just like film where you would tinker around in the darkroom trying to make the 'perfect' print, you tend to spend a fair amount of time on the computer (the new darkroom) if you really want them to turn out nice. These pictures I spent a few minutes on each. Pictures getting sold/printed - you can stare at the computer for days working on them.

So is your blenny satisified with only the algae in the tank? Or do you add anything?

I don't know if he finds time to eat algae in between tearing up the sandbed and terrorizing snails to be honest. I do know that he eats more Rod's Food than anyone else in the tank... See that fat belly on him?!

animalmaster6

Hmmm.

I don't have photoshop :( Too expensive too.

Is it overall fairly easy too use. Even if the pics aren't perfect?

Hmmm.

The camera comes with some editing software. You can also tell it to shoot jpeg's and then you can just upload those to wherever from your computer without messing with them at all if you wanted just like a point and shoot.

animalmaster6
The camera comes with some editing software. You can also tell it to shoot jpeg's and then you can just upload those to wherever from your computer without messing with them at all if you wanted just like a point and shoot.

Okay thanks!

So I can upload them straight from my computer to N-R or anyother forum without messing around with photobucket? That would be awesome!

That's great it comes with editing software

Hmmm.

The GIMP is an opensource photo editor that boasts similar functionality to Photoshop. It's free, but has a bit of a learning curve to it. It shouldn't hurt ot check it out and see if it's your cup of tea.

Violinist, I am digging this tank and your Hex. I have subscribed to both threads. Kudos :D

The GIMP is an opensource photo editor that boasts similar functionality to Photoshop. It's free, but has a bit of a learning curve to it. It shouldn't hurt ot check it out and see if it's your cup of tea.

Violinist, I am digging this tank and your Hex. I have subscribed to both threads. Kudos :D

+1 on Gimp. Awesome freeware!

So instead of re-reading the whole thread (for the 8th time...) Are you still using the skimmer - and is it the AquaC Nano Remora? If so, are you still running the AC70?

I had been thinking about going with a skimmer but I don't want both the 20 and a skimmer.

Thanks,

B

I never actually put the ac70 on the tank, though I did eventually use it on the hex. I've just been running the skimmer on the 20L. It's not the nano, but it is an aquac remora. Skimmer performance on the long is certainly better than ac70 w/floss and chaeto on the hex as far as nitrate/phosphate readings. Louphoenix has me 90% convinced to buy that other skimmer for the hex. But I'm not sure I want to drop a bunch of dough on that tank.

A while ago I had seen a HH crab who I thought had really grown since I'd last seen it. Well turns out there were two of them, one tiny one and one large one. The tiny one got the tweezers of death last night. The large one got away minus one arm... Also remembered to tweeze out the few pieces of bubble algae. Looks like I got all but one of them.

The buddha (the blenny) has solved all irritation with crap bubbling to the top of the sandbed with his constant redecorating.

kennycs1292

I just skimmed through this whole thread, only stopping to stare at your intoxicating photos (ever hear of mental masturbation? :P )

I am truly impressed at the health and quality of your aquarium. All of your inhabitants are just so vibrant.

P.S. Is the JBJ ATO worth the $$$ to get? Im deciding whether it is better to manually top off the tank every other day for free, or be lazy and have technology do it for me for $100.

I just skimmed through this whole thread, only stopping to stare at your intoxicating photos (ever hear of mental masturbation? :P )

I am truly impressed at the health and quality of your aquarium. All of your inhabitants are just so vibrant.

P.S. Is the JBJ ATO worth the $$$ to get? Im deciding whether it is better to manually top off the tank every other day for free, or be lazy and have technology do it for me for $100.

c420/a9

Glad you like it!

The ATO is nice to have instead of cupping in top-off, but there are times when I'm out of town either for work or vacation so it becomes more of a must have. Plus it increases the overall stability of the environment which is a good thing.

kennycs1292
c420/a9

Glad you like it!

The ATO is nice to have instead of cupping in top-off, but there are times when I'm out of town either for work or vacation so it becomes more of a must have. Plus it increases the overall stability of the environment which is a good thing.

i do tend to travel a lot to visit family in different states, but my mom is normally at the house, so she can always top it off if needed. I think ill wait on spending the $100 for the ATO unless topping it off manually becomes a problem. Thanks for the help :happy:

Hey did you get my second mesage with the link and did it work. If not I got some pics up of the corals and a fts. Now I need to add my tank to the 20L thread

Archived