Cultivated Reef

FishEye Aquaculture Updates!

FishEyeAquaculture

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishEyeAquaculture
I have one question for you. How you protect from power outages? Do you just use a generator?

Yes, we have a generator.

Power is rarely is out here for more than ten minutes because we are fortunately on the same feed as the electric company's office.

We are also on a list with our local power company that states we are a Sate Licensed Aquaculture Operation that requires necessary power. That means we are second in line to get power, right behind people who rely on life support devices.

Our Goldflake Maroon Clowns are very limited, however, there are some in the pipeline and we hope to release some soon. Again, these are VERY limited.

Gotcha. I'll be on the lookout....B)

• 3 weeks later...
FishEyeAquaculture

Since we now have so much more room, it is really giving us a chance to play with different species of fish. Here are some shots of our 30dph Sunrise Dottybacks!

sunrise30.jpg

sunrise30_2.jpg

This is very interesting to us, this is an ocellaris NOT A HYBRID. This is the result of us pairing a Fancy White with an Orange ocellaris. This fish is only 14dph in this photo, we will keep you updated on their pattern progression.

spottedocelaris.jpg

fancy.jpg

FishEyeAquaculture
Just amazing! I'm curious how you set up your new space. Any pictures?

I will post some pictures tomorrow. I feel bad, I think this is the third time you've asked!

FishEyeAquaculture
I'm curious how you set up your new space. Any pictures?

As requested!

Larvae rearing tubs

facility3.jpg

Broodstock system

facility2.jpg

Rotifer and copepod culture

facility1.jpg

Growout and holding tubs (110gal each)

facility4.jpg

We were able to more than double our capacity and haven't even used up half of the new building, so we have room to grow!!!

FishEyeAquaculture
How big are the larval tanks? Any downside to using the black tubs vs. glass aquariums?

Looks awesome!

No downside from my expierences so far. They are lighter in weight (easier to take offline and clean, sanatize, etc.), already black (no painting), plastic (no worries about drilling), and more cost effective.

I like the result of us pairing a Fancy White with an Orange ocellaris! B) The pics of the new building look really good. I'm sure you are very excited to get everything up and running.

FishEyeAquaculture
I like the result of us pairing a Fancy White with an Orange ocellaris! B) The pics of the new building look really good. I'm sure you are very excited to get everything up and running.

Thank you very much, we are so excited!!!!

I finally was able to get a shot of our sunrise dottybacks with eggs! Please forgive the poor quality of the picture, he is moving so much juggling the eggs I can't keep the camera focused! And it is dark in that spawning cave.

sunriseeggs.jpg

FishEyeAquaculture

Sunrise Dottyback 12dph

sunrise12dph.jpg

Sunrise Dottyback 20dph

Sunrise20DPH.jpg

Sometimes, when you use wild plankton, you will raise something you don't expect! These are ctenorphora, or comb jellies!

CombJelly.jpg

FishEyeAquaculture
How are u keeping the jellies? I saw those at an aquarium over the weekend and they had bioluminescence along the edges.

They were found in the 5gal buckets we were using to keepo the wild plankton fed. So they weren't damaged by any pumps, water circulation was done with ridgid airline.

Yes! They did have bioluminescence all along their edges, in that photo you can kind of see it, but the pic doesn't do it justice. Another cool thing about them was when the lights were off and you hit the bucket, they would light up all different colors for defense...really cool animals.

They are now back in Tampa Bay.

FishEyeAquaculture

So, for the past couple months we have been breeding beghia nudibranchs...unintentionally. Well, now we are doing it intentionally. :P For the first time since my first salwater tank, I wish I had more aiptasia!!!!!

Adult

beghiaadult.jpg

Egg ribbon

beghiaeggribbon.jpg

It's pretty neat that you've been able to create an environment that encourages all these species to proliferate unintentionally. I think it speaks to the quality of the environment that breeders need to establish vs. what is considered ideal by a lot of reefers on these boards.

Archived