Pod Your Reef

FishEye Aquaculture Updates!

FishEyeAquaculture

I like the name "rotten tomato"... It's silly and something different. They look awesome, and if my tanks weren't full, I'd buy one! :)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishEyeAquaculture
I like the name "rotten tomato"... It's silly and something different. They look awesome, and if my tanks weren't full, I'd buy one! :)

It is what it is :P It has caught on, people will like it and people won't like it. I am a little disapointed that the conversation turned into what the name should be rather than the scientific discussion as to why this frenatus turned all black.

I would think that this unique coloration is simply a genetic trait that crops up once in a while, but in really really low numbers. Tomato's do have quite a bit of dark pigmentation, so it's not too far fetched to say that a mild genetic mutation caused the dark coloring to be dominant. Similar to how the different colored clowns came to be (picasso's, snowflake, etc)... a color mutation that was selected and bred to be more common. It's lucky that it happened with a breeder, because rather than being a unique clown that goes unnoticed at Petco, it's has the chance of being a unique strain of tomato clown.

FishEyeAquaculture

Now we have a discussion!!!

I would think that this unique coloration is simply a genetic trait that crops up once in a while, but in really really low numbers.

I honestly hope that is the case, it would be a shame to have only one. It is a lot less stressful to breed them when you have more than one type of fish. Look at the lightning maroon situation with Matt Pedersen, I can't even imagine the pressures he is feeling knowing there is only one.

Tomato's do have quite a bit of dark pigmentation, so it's not too far fetched to say that a mild genetic mutation caused the dark coloring to be dominant. Similar to how the different colored clowns came to be (picasso's, snowflake, etc)... a color mutation that was selected and bred to be more common.

I agree, the interesting part is no red at all. Which leads me to wonder if it is melanistic (like a black panther or black squirrel).

It's lucky that it happened with a breeder, because rather than being a unique clown that goes unnoticed at Petco, it's has the chance of being a unique strain of tomato clown.

Let's hope so. Poor mans McCullochi...only rarer and isn't going to be stressed with our normal tank temperatures.

I honestly hope that is the case, it would be a shame to have only one. It is a lot less stressful to breed them when you have more than one type of fish. Look at the lightning maroon situation with Matt Pedersen, I can't even imagine the pressures he is feeling knowing there is only one.

I think you are in a different situation than the lightning maroon clown. I think you are right that it is more melanistic, therefore I think that it will be easier to replicate.

From what I have read about the Lightning Maroon, there is more then one. They are native to Papua New Guinea (PNG).

"The PNG lightning maroon clownfish was collected by a local fisher from Fishermans Island, which is located just off the capital city of Papua New Guinea. The fisher, Steven Paul, had been trained in sustainable collection techniques by the SEASMART Program, which is the joint effort of the PNG National Fisheries Authority (NFA) and the Virginia-based EcoEZ Inc. Since 2008, the SEASMART Program has been working hand-in-hand with PNG’s National, Provincial and local governments to efficiently develop a sustainable, equitable and profitable marine aquarium trade throughout the country. This is not the first fish Blue Zoo has sold from Papua New Guinea, but it is the first one to garner so much attention."

source: http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=416

From what I have read about the Lightning Maroon, there is more then one. They are native to Papua New Guinea (PNG).

your right, there are two of them. that's all that have ever been collected. the first one no one knows what happened to it. the second one matt has. pretty fish, much better looking in person imho.

• 2 weeks later...
FishEyeAquaculture

Update!!!!

We have some more Rotten Tomatos! In a batch that is currently 46dph, we have two..possibly three that are changing! So, now we can show pictures of the three color stages of a Rotten Tomato.

changingrotten2.jpg

changingrotten1.jpg

Wow, those RT are sweet looking! Can't wait to see more in the near future and to have a pair later on. Keep up the great awesome work! Happy new year!

altolamprologus
Update!!!!

We have some more Rotten Tomatos! In a batch that is currently 46dph, we have two..possibly three that are changing! So, now we can show pictures of the three color stages of a Rotten Tomato.

changingrotten2.jpg

changingrotten1.jpg

Congrats!! It definitely seems like both parents are carrying a recessive gene-how lucky is that?? I can't wait to see what the offspring of the RTs look like.

• 2 weeks later...
FishEyeAquaculture

Here are some updates of our Dragonet project. Raising these dragonets has been such a rewarding challenge!!

mandarinandscooter_edited-1.jpg

Green Mandarin Dragonet (S. splendidus) and Ocellated Dragonet (S. ocellatus) at 45dph

scooterdragonet_edited-1.jpg

Ocellated Dragonet (S. ocellatus) at 45dph

ocellateddragonet290dph.jpg

ocellateddragonet190dph.jpg

Ocellated Dragonet (S. ocellatus) at 90dph

MandarinDragonet90DPH.jpg

Green Mandarin Dragonet (S. splendidus) at 90dph

LOVE that last one!!! I may consider breaking my self-imposed "no more new fish" rule for one of those adorable little guys! What are they eating now?

• 2 weeks later...
Here are some updates of our Dragonet project. Raising these dragonets has been such a rewarding challenge!!

mandarinandscooter_edited-1.jpg

Green Mandarin Dragonet (S. splendidus) and Ocellated Dragonet (S. ocellatus) at 45dph

scooterdragonet_edited-1.jpg

Ocellated Dragonet (S. ocellatus) at 45dph

ocellateddragonet290dph.jpg

ocellateddragonet190dph.jpg

Ocellated Dragonet (S. ocellatus) at 90dph

MandarinDragonet90DPH.jpg

Green Mandarin Dragonet (S. splendidus) at 90dph

THESE LOOK SO BADASS!!!

FishEyeAquaculture
THESE LOOK SO BADASS!!!

Thanks!!! Only downsize to dragonets is once they reach a certain age, their growth rate slowns waaayyy down. The scooter dragonets grow much faster than the green mandarins.

FishEyeAquaculture
Good news: I am moving to Florida close to you soon about 1hour 1/2 drive. Not to bad lol.

Very cool!!! Are you moving down here for work and/or school?

I move down because of your s'mores! Lol no I moved down because my wife had graduated from college and found a job in orlando hospital. I haven't found a job yet but will be looking sooner as we get settle down and look for apt. or house to rent. Not sure of any area yet but planning and looking around north of Orlando area.

Well had to break down the tank but I have kept the paired s'mores I got from u, I cannot keep the other one bully the other one. I don't think they are a pair because if the big bully beats the other one my other fish like angel fish and basslet attach it to so now I have to put the little guy in a separate container. Its funny, I feed the little guy only to fatten the s'more up but he is nice and share food for his fellow tank mates. Lol what can I do to stop the violence? They only fight when the lights are turn on.

Archived