Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FishEye Aquaculture Updates!

FishEyeAquaculture

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishEyeAquaculture
what only one? fine, I'll take the winning one. give me another clue since Im the only one that bothered to follow your hint and searched reefbuilders!

Sorry, buddy. Use the other hints, that will narrow it down somewhat...but at the end of the day, it is still just a guessing game with an awesome prize!!!!

also, source.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site..._coeruleus.html

and this. http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/19/hippo-h...ue-tang-taiwan/

oh wait and the species, Paracanthurus hepatus or possibly Acanthurus coeruleus? They both come up in my googling of blue tangs. But I could be wrong on the exact species. Reefbuilder didn't exactly say, I think they meant the regal though.

FishEyeAquaculture

Reef Builders doesn't really give specifics, it just mentions the aquaculture achievement.

The 24hr incubation was just a fun fact that surprised us and caught us off guard!

FishEyeAquaculture
Reef Builders doesn't really give specifics, it just mentions the aquaculture achievement.

The 24hr incubation was just a fun fact that surprised us and caught us off guard!

You'll find out at midnight!!!

shut up. i think you should be disqualified for attempting to keep a clown in an ugly freshwater lawn tank. I've been up for over 24 hrs without sleep you compassionless ghettobot

FishEyeAquaculture

Here are some updated pictures of the new facility. We are still far from completion, but here is the progress.

DSC_0180.jpg

Ceiling has been insulated with spray foam, walls should be completed on Wednesday.(yes, that is me in the doorway).

DSC_0182.jpg

Based on reefbuilders, i am guessing Paracanthurus hepatus - the Taiwan guys also did clowns for last couple of years ;-)

But if that is correct, how did you get them to spawn? I thought yellow tangs were the only ones requiring less than 3 ft ascent? Have a breeding tower hidden somewhere? ;-)

Best,

Magick

FishEyeAquaculture

Here is an updated picture of the "mystery" species. Only a little over two more hours, remember, first person to guess correct species wins and only one guess allowed.

7 days post hatch

Porkfishfry7days-1_edited-1.jpg

FishEyeAquaculture

Supernip, you were so close!!!! You get at least a consulation prize, we'll talk about it through PM.

FishEye Services is proud to announce its participation in the Rising Tide Program initiated by The Sea World & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund with research from the University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Lab. Rising Tide’s goal is to promote advances that will encourage captive propagation of marine species on a large scale.

On Sunday, September, 4, Sea World in Orlando, FL delivered some porkfish eggs to our facilities that were collected that morning from one of the many display aquariums at the park. After careful acclimation, these eggs were added to a system set up for this project. On Monday (9-5-11) morning, thousands of little porkfish fry were observed!

Thanks to University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Labs Dr. Matthew Wittenrich and Eric Cassiano for providing us with the protocol and counsel for the transfer of the delicate eggs and the rearing of the porkfish fry, we are now 7 days post hatch on this once never before aquacultured marine fish!

A big thank you to Sea World and The University of Florida Tropical Aquaculture Lab because you leave us asking….What’s Next?

Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus) fry 7 days post hatch

Porkfishfry7days-1_edited-1.jpg

newer pictures kinda look like a porkfish. I'm just going to keep telling myself I was right and you guys just didn't hold up to your end of the bargain. I'm always right!

Archived