Cultivated Reef

FishEye Aquaculture Updates!

FishEyeAquaculture

FishEyeAquaculture

Update!!!!!!!

It was a very sad morning in late January when I woke up and came out to my garage to find hundreds of baby s'mores on the floor. The day before I had moved about three months worth of only s'mores into a 55gal tank I had set up. This was a used tank that had been stored out in my barn fro the past few months, I leaked tested it for 24hrs before putting my precious babies in it. However, in the middle of the night, the silicone gave way and one of the sides of this tank failed and all came spilling out. As I said before, it was a very sad morning.

After the grim cleanup, I felt blessed that all s'mores had not been lost, as I had been a tad lazy when sorting s'more from their normal barred siblings. Now find those I don't know how many s'mores in the thousands of normal barred ocellaris! As many of you know, I have found some, and they have been sold off, slowly as we come across them.

Well, when it rains it pours. Female snowflake and male darwin continued with their spawning as they were not as devastated about the loss of their offspring as I was. Or were they? Literally, the time came to collect the spawn after the "incident" and there was only 5-7 eggs.....seriously!!! Spawn after spawn this happened!

Finally, after realizing this could not stand, I pulled the darwin male in early March. I replaced him with another Darwin male from one of my reliable spawning pairs of Darwins. She didn’t miss a beat, they spawned 3 days later, then all the eggs were gone the next day. Again, spawn after spawn! Things were getting serious now, I need s'mores! We are known for s'mores and we barely have any!!!!!!

I am proud to announce though, that tonight, I will be collecting around 300-400 eggs from my beautiful female and her new boyfriend!!!! Her old boyfriend by the way, has been busy eating someone else’s eggs. I also tracked down some spawning Darwin females (thank you Eileen and Doni) and some beautiful snowflakes (thank you Eileen). Hopefully this is a lesson that has been learned.

BUT I AM REALLY EXCITED TO COLLECT THIS SPAWN TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FLNanoReefer
Wow, that's crazy! So sorry about the losses, but glad things are back on track. :flower:

Sorry to hear about the losses. Hopefully this hatch is great!

Do you think you could post some pictures of your complete breeding set up? I am in the process of planning mine and I am looking at other peoples to get some idea's. Thanks.

FishEyeAquaculture

Thank you all for the kind words!

Tenniswildcat95, I am doing some "remodeling" today. Once I am done I will post some pictures.

I also want to announce that we had a succesful hatch last night (day late, yes, I was biting my nails). 100% hatched and are all doing well and eating rotifers today.

glad you had some positive after a heatbreak. i cant imagine walking out into the garage and seeing all them dead on the floor. soon i plan to get a clown or 2 from you.

Hyper, SO GLAD to hear that things are back on track with your female snowflake! You are overdue for a string of good luck now! fingerscrossed

FLNanoReefer
Thank you all for the kind words!

Tenniswildcat95, I am doing some "remodeling" today. Once I am done I will post some pictures.

I also want to announce that we had a succesful hatch last night (day late, yes, I was biting my nails). 100% hatched and are all doing well and eating rotifers today.

Ok. Thanks. What size tanks do you recommend for Broodstock tanks? I was thinking about using 10's all plumbed to a 40 gallon rubbermade sump until Pickels told me about how weak they are. He suggest I use 20L's divided in half. He says that 20H's are overkill for 1 pair. What do you think?

FishEyeAquaculture
Ok. Thanks. What size tanks do you recommend for Broodstock tanks? I was thinking about using 10's all plumbed to a 40 gallon rubbermade sump until Pickels told me about how weak they are. He suggest I use 20L's divided in half. He says that 20H's are overkill for 1 pair. What do you think?

I have two brood systems, one is acrylic with 10gal sections, the other is drilled 10gal tanks. You have to be careful with the drains on the 10gal glass, nothing....nothing can hang from them.

FishEyeAquaculture
back on track yeah? you should start on regular snowflakes now. Id like a pair

I have considered it, but I am afraid of confusion (especially at a young age) with s'more clowns. Check with Eileen, she has some great looking snowflakes.

FLNanoReefer
I have two brood systems, one is acrylic with 10gal sections, the other is drilled 10gal tanks. You have to be careful with the drains on the 10gal glass, nothing....nothing can hang from them.

Ok. I would have my plumbing set up like Lalani's. I would have a bulkhead in each tank with flexible tubing coming from it into a large PVC Pipe. Do you think this would work?

I have considered it, but I am afraid of confusion (especially at a young age) with s'more clowns. Check with Eileen, she has some great looking snowflakes.

Aww...thanks, Hyperboy!

FLNanoReefer

Hyperboy,

Can you post some pictures of your broodstock system for me? Thanks. I am working on planning my broodstock system out and would love as much input as possible.

FishEyeAquaculture

Thanks Pickle!

I have been busy doing some remodeling. I am currently in the search for some vats of a certain size and TSC isn't use to someone buying/needing eight of them, so I had to order and am waiting on them to come in.

FLNanoReefer

You have quite the system. How many different pairs do you have? I am just finishing up planning the system and I am now looking for someone in FL to make me a stand for my broodstock system.

Were there any disadvantages to using the black rubbermade containers for growout?

FishEyeAquaculture
Were there any disadvantages to using the black rubbermade containers for growout?

None, I prefer them!

FishEyeAquaculture
Awesome. Are you using the 100 gallon or 34 gallon ones?

We use the 110gal oval, 40gal oval, and 25gal round.

FLNanoReefer
We use the 110gal oval, 40gal oval, and 25gal round.

Wow. That must be a ton of water volume!

For the aquaculture permit does someone from FDACS actually have to come and inspect your facility before you can receive the permit? Is their a age requirement for the permit?

Very nice systems, you must have a big business . Is a business like this profitable or do you come out even? In your opinion and experiences please :D

Archived