Coral Vue Hydros

FishEye Aquaculture Updates!

FishEyeAquaculture

A melanistic A. frenatus. Freakin cool, of course I am a little biased as I love melanistic clowns and I am hoping to do my PhD on melanism in amphiprion. This fish makes the third spontaneous melanistic clownfish in captivity that I am aware of, and the first for frenatus!

Congrats on the amazing fish. I would love to chat with you regarding them, and if possible get some of the non melanistic siblings. It would be very interesting to do a developmental series on the siblings to determine if there are any differences displayed in them.

Do you know where the parents originated?

Colby

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishEyeAquaculture
A melanistic A. frenatus. Freakin cool, of course I am a little biased as I love melanistic clowns and I am hoping to do my PhD on melanism in amphiprion. This fish makes the third spontaneous melanistic clownfish in captivity that I am aware of, and the first for frenatus!

Congrats on the amazing fish. I would love to chat with you regarding them, and if possible get some of the non melanistic siblings. It would be very interesting to do a developmental series on the siblings to determine if there are any differences displayed in them.

Do you know where the parents originated?

Colby

Thank you for the praise! Just send me a PM and we'll talk, I would be happy to do so!

We have normal colored siblings available.

Unfortunately, I do not know where the parents originated from. I got them from a hobbyist in St. Pete, FL.

• 1 month later...
FishEyeAquaculture
Something must be brewing at Fisheye.... Hyper has been too quiet lately!

We certainly have some cool fish in production! I will try to post pics tomorrow.

FISHEYE,

I want to start off by thanking you, for allowing us normal minds into the working of a genius mind. I have read all 21 pages of this journal, and it is amazing. I love the new building, good luck with all the expansions you have planned. It must be nice to raise and watch those fish grow constantly. I love the idea of using the BRT instead of tanks. I see you use them for hatching and holding, but I see in your new building you still have all your brood stock in tanks.Whats your though on using the 25 gallon totes to handle your brood stock as well? Is there an easy way to split them for two pairs? Just a thought as I always hate drilling 10 or even 20L gallon tanks, just thinking out loud is all. Hope all is going good in the south florida area. Would love to see an update.

FishEyeAquaculture
FISHEYE,

I want to start off by thanking you, for allowing us normal minds into the working of a genius mind. I have read all 21 pages of this journal, and it is amazing. I love the new building, good luck with all the expansions you have planned.

Wow! Thank you for the kind words!

I see you use them for hatching and holding, but I see in your new building you still have all your brood stock in tanks.Whats your though on using the 25 gallon totes to handle your brood stock as well?

They would be great for holding broodstock! However, the only way to see inside the tub is from top down. That would inhibit an aquarist to see any spawns from demersal spawners (as demersal spawners normally hide their eggs under a ledge) without disruption. Now, if you have pelagic spawners, tubs work best IMO.

FishEyeAquaculture

Sorry it has been a while for updates. We unfortunately were on a hiatus from raising any clowns (ocellaris and percula) for a couple a months, but we were very busy with other species of marine fish! We are back on track with ocellaris and perculas and will have many different designers available this summer.

These guys are not available for sale yet as they are still only 3/4" in length but here is a sneak peek. They are similar to our FishEye "Goldflake" Maroons; they just have a little more zing. We are calling them "GoldFlags".

goldflag3.jpg

goldflag1.jpg

goldflag2.jpg

Here is an updated shot of the Green Mandarins that we raised here, they are now 5 months old and are starting to eagerly accept frozen cyclop-eeze. I can't even begin to tell you how difficult it is to wean these guys onto prepared feed. They are also very slow growers; I am thinking they will need to be at least 1 year of age before they reach market size. Still, very rewarding to raise such a delicate animal.

MandarinDragonet5months.jpg

MandarinDragonet5months2.jpg

Here are some really cool shot taken with a microscope of Porkfish eggs recieved from Sea World. I am currently designing (in my head) a broodstock system so we can start full production of this species.

porkfisheggs.jpg

Here is a shot (again, microscope) of Porkfish larvae approx. 12hrs post hatch

porkfishlarvae.jpg

Oh, one more thing exciting to share on a production note.....my wife and I are expecting our third boy in late July!!!!!!

Congrats on all the accomplishments. Congrats on the third son. Is this your third child or just third son? I have two sons and two step-daughters, ages 7, 6, 4 & 3. Got our hands full thats for sure. thanks for the advice on the tubs, for brood stock. The green mandarians are beautiful fish, cool to see you raise them.

FishEyeAquaculture
Congrats on all the accomplishments. Congrats on the third son. Is this your third child or just third son? I have two sons and two step-daughters, ages 7, 6, 4 & 3. Got our hands full thats for sure. thanks for the advice on the tubs, for brood stock. The green mandarians are beautiful fish, cool to see you raise them.

This will be our third child....all boys. I am going to have a lot of fishing and diving buddies!

smitty_1280

Thanks for the updates. :) I love the goldflags. Congrats on expecting the 3rd son. I have 4 kids myself lol. They are such a joy.

Congrats on the progress and especially the new addition to the family - 2 short of a basket ball team.

I have 3 as well - 2 boys 1 girl. Wife wanted to go for the girl - I'm happy it worked out because there was no way I was going to try for a 4th. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on the baby boy! taco.gif (Yes, that's a dancing taco!)

Congrats on the progress and especially the new addition to the family - 2 short of a basket ball team.

I have 3 as well - 2 boys 1 girl. Wife wanted to go for the girl - I'm happy it worked out because there was no way I was going to try for a 4th. lol

Glad to see that your daughter has two "protectors" growing up along side her. :D

Fisheye- You guys should get a premium black ice clownfish and breed it with a B/W, you could get a black snowflake clownfish!

ericm1205

Congrats onthe new addition to the family. I got 2 boys 17 and 13. I got snipped 8 years ago......best thing I ever did. Hehe

FishEyeAquaculture

Forecasts are calling for snow in Florida...FishEye Snowflakes...coming soon!!!

snowinginFL.jpg

Archived