Pod Your Reef

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

The local clubs here are not bad...I also met a local guy that lives on campus that hooked me up with the first 2 shrooms...local stuff is awesome! :D The stuff I got tonight I had to drive about an hour out though...but I think it was worth it!

EMT classes shouldn't have papers...but who knows...:lol: Dude, tell me about it! I had a terrible grad student teach me Spanish last semester and it was the hands down ####tiest class I have taken in my college career. :rant:

It seems like the local members here have sps dominated tanks which i am not ready for. I guess its just LFS for me. <_<

Im sorry but grad students arent capable of teaching college courses. My gf is an elementary school and still has better credentials for teaching than grad students.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
It seems like the local members here have sps dominated tanks which i am not ready for. I guess its just LFS for me. <_<

Im sorry but grad students arent capable of teaching college courses. My gf is an elementary school and still has better credentials for teaching than grad students.

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple and low maintenance too man...it'd be better for me to not have to dose stuff all the time and keep the water pristine for SPS. Do you feed your tank at all right now? I was thinking of picking up a can of cycop-eeze or something soon to feed the corals a bit before changes.

Agreed.

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple and low maintenance too man...it'd be better for me to not have to dose stuff all the time and keep the water pristine for SPS. Do you feed your tank at all right now? I was thinking of picking up a can of cycop-eeze or something soon to feed the corals a bit before changes.

Agreed.

I dont feed the corals yet, just the shrimp. Im also thinking about starting to feed the coral. I fed the ricordea a couple times with mysis but they take forever to eat and it usually gets stolen by the inverts in the tank.

Drift Monkey

So I'm wondering if I should throw in my bag of chemi-pure elite...or just hang tight with the chaeto in the fuge and see what happens...

Drift Monkey
If your cycle is over throw the bag in.

I wouldn't have thrown corals in if it was still cycling...:P

I hate rinsing the bag, seems like it never gets clean and always clouds up the water. -_-

Drift Monkey
I know what you mean. It took forever to get mine clean Its definitely worth it though.

How long do you rinse yours for?

h/o you guys rinse your chemi pure for an hour? wtf lol

The black dust is normal and after you rinse it for a few seconds it shouldnt cloud your water much and should super clear the water in an hour or so.

I rinse the bag for a few seconds and put it in the HOB. the black dust isnt even noticeable in my tanks after a little while. I think that by rinsing it out so much, you are rinsing out the material that could have been absorbing impurities... the black carbon dust could have been useful.

But what i do is rinse it a little bit weekly to get the brownish detritis off that collects on the bag. you dont want that. but once thats rinsed off and i start getting black/gray water, I stop and put the bag back in.

Then again its all just speculation on my part xD

Drift Monkey
last time i got a new bag i had to rinse it for a bout an hour lol. It sucks

:haha: are you serious?

I'll likely use it and I've used it along with chaeto before, but I was just wondering if running it is a little redundant since the chaeto is taking up the same nutrients (nitrate & phosphate). I realize the chemi-pure does take up more than just those nutrients...but I've read some people don't like to use it because it also takes good elements out of the water as well. Thoughts?

yes it might as well take up the good ones but once it can take up all it can, the nutrients are replenished by water changes and w/e other additives one might use in their reef (some people do dose). so the system is not deprived for too long.

Drift Monkey
yes it might as well take up the good ones but once it can take up all it can, the nutrients are replenished by water changes and w/e other additives one might use in their reef (some people do dose). so the system is not deprived for too long.

I kinda figure the goods outweigh the bads anyway. I just dropped a bag in the AC70...no cloudiness after rinsing it for about a minute. ;)

Also - another one of my nerites went carpet surfing today...:rant:

Drift Monkey
What do you plan on stocking?

Sorry thread was tl;dr :D

Mostly softies and easy to keep corals for now...a maxi-mini or two for sure. Sexy shrimp/anemone shrimp, porcelain crabs, and a pom pom crab will probably round out the critters...I have an unhealthy crustacean obsession though.

Speaking of which, when I was picking new corals last night, I saw a bumblebee shrimp in person (I've never seen one before)! I think I sorta want one (some?) of these little guys now too. I have a problem.

Drift Monkey

Some shots of my new stuff since they are starting to open for me finally...

205698_10150164238896137_519406136_6681154_7729785_n.jpg

Mint chocolate chip paly and candy cane lookin' much better today!

205139_10150164239551137_519406136_6681165_1750679_n.jpg

My mushroom garden is pissed at the moment...

206497_10150164241051137_519406136_6681195_4806286_n.jpg

Orange zoa colony that some xenias have attached themselves to. The GSP on top is starting to come out too!

205600_10150164241496137_519406136_6681207_6454209_n.jpg

Side shot of the zoa colony/xenia.

217531_10150164241821137_519406136_6681216_1338040_n.jpg

More GSP starting to come alive!

Drift Monkey
Looks awesome man. The zoas are sweet. Hopefully the zenia and gsp dont take over. How about a FTS?

I'm gonna stay on top of those two...I def wouldn't like it if they took over! FTS soon! ;)

Whatcha think of those mcc palys today George? B)

I'm gonna stay on top of those two...I def wouldn't like it if they took over! FTS soon! ;)

Whatcha think of those mcc palys today George? B)

I think they look awesome. The mushrooms look cool too. I have been looking for different colored ones but i havent found any. I think my LFS just got a new shipment in so maybe he will have some.

Drift Monkey
Looks awesome. Just wait until that gsp opens up it will look so cool. Nice work drift.

Thanks...I actually moved it them a bit more today before I took the shot...the GSP rock and zoa colony switched places. :happy:

I want some gsp. I have a small little rock that is isolated and would look good on. If only I had more money. I need to hit the lottery

Archived