ReefCleaners.org

2.7 Gallon AIO Pico Reef Setup

plantarms

here is a quick update of the trumpet coral, its looking great and it is still continuing to split. it has gone from three heads when i got it on 12_26_2009 to being in the process of splitting into six heads on 4_7_2010, a period of about three and a half months!

DSCN4151.jpg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here are some actual updates

full tank shot, still need to scrub down the sides, but i'm getting some nice coraline growth now

DSCN4153.jpg

duncans are doing awesome, they seem to have colored up even more since i got them

DSCN4154.jpg

neon green trumpets doing awesome as well, they have started splitting into new heads like crazy

DSCN4155.jpg

even the xenia is doing well, looks like it might start a new branch? hopefully

DSCN4156.jpg

recently fragged the pink zoas i have because they started to grow into themselves so they had no actual bottom area. so i cut them up and glued them to my zoa rock. in other news the PE zoas from a couple weeks back ended up not doing so well, so they're gone now. i still blame giant pods

DSCN4157.jpg

nuclear greens are looking awesome, and so are the eagle eye zoas. they have opened up so much more since i dropped the LED intensity and they are definitely spreading, might need to frag some soon

DSCN4158.jpg

the gsp polyps are not extended as much as i would like them to be, any suggestions to that?

DSCN4159.jpg

corner shot

DSCN4160.jpg

bleaching on the orange monti cap has stopped spreading, what do i do now? will it recolor or have i lost that part of it?

DSCN4162.jpg

chaeto has grown like crazy in the back, really need to trim it down some. also i need to put my float switch on a relay after having read some more about it. the way i have it now is probably not so great and could cause it to fail and make a huge problem

DSCN4164.jpg

tank feeding, about time

DSCN4194.jpg

DSCN4193.jpg

DSCN4190.jpg

anyone know what the small bubble on the right is? growth?

DSCN4191.jpg

sexy shrimp still chilling in the fuge

DSCN4183.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

moving the tank back for the summer, i really need to build a chiller soon because it gets blazing hot in florida

I'm not sure if you mentioned it already, but where did you get the tank? I'm really liking these new rimless aio picos.

thanks, i really like the clean look of the rimless too. i had it made by scooternerd on this site. it is a great quality tank and it has been one of the best i have had

• 2 weeks later...

haven't update for a while, the tank is back for the summer and everything survived the move, however the sexy shrimp was in the fuge and while i was cleaning and trimming the chaeto he got siphoned out and died. everything else is doing great, need to feed and dose some

• 4 weeks later...

about to do first water change in about a month...oops. the duncans have started to make a couple new heads. can i directly feed my trumpet coral and duncans the large pods that i find and crush up?

c_k_kuehne
about to do first water change in about a month

Why wait a month -- do a WC now, and then another one in a few days, and then another one in a few days, and then another ...............

sweet tank plant. how has your diy fuge light been treating you?

thanks man, it has been working really well now. i have the LED's running low because i found that if they are too intense then it bleaches the chaeto, other than that its working great. i am going to try to move it into a newer case with a better fan attachment soon, and i think i might actually move to a more of a 3000k or 4000k LED for better growth because it will give a better spectrum

here are some picture updates

duncans have spouted two new heads since i got them in march 2010

4707008207_73dcba0cb6.jpg

nuclear greens have gone from one head to eleven since i got them in november 2009

4707650358_c02b4072ab.jpg

trumpet coral, started with three heads in december 2009, now has nine full heads

4707009513_cc438f91bb.jpg

orange monti cap, it has started to attach itself to the rock

4707009847_df0f477951.jpg

xenia hasn't been doing so well?

4707651026_2f32dd58df.jpg

the tissue is receding some on my trumpet corals around the base, any help here?

4707651702_eb311e0068.jpg

full tank shot

4707008881_fa789e8c1e.jpg

the two new heads on the duncans have been growing fairly quickly, and are now both clearly visible. does anyone know anything about the tissue reseeding on the trumpet coral? Is that how it builds its skeleton or is there something wrong with it?

from what i have watched on mine, the tissue receides and actually hardens into skeleton. mine started with three heads in november and is now 9 also.

from what i have watched on mine, the tissue receides and actually hardens into skeleton. mine started with three heads in november and is now 9 also.

ok that's good to know, i thought that it might be due to weird calcium levels or something like that

• 1 month later...

just got back from a trip, left my pico for 15 days and it is still going strong. does need some cleaning though

i can imagine the glass is full of algae ;P

haha yeah

Cool. Let's see a new FTS after it's cleaned.

will do

• 1 month later...

i've neglected cleaning this tank for a while now and i've had some hair algae that started growing, so i finally made the effort and gave it a good cleaning. any good suggestions for removal of hair algae? snails?

ParanoidObseshun

I had a problem with some pest algae growing in spots that I didnt want as well. Since the tanks are small I just took the rock out and tweezed and scrubbed off all the algae. Seems like that was the quickest and easiest, as long as your rock isnt covered in encrusting corals or on of the bottom supports.

• 2 weeks later...

my duncans have not opened for a couple days now, all the other corals are doing fine. the only thing I have done is added an acro and done a small waterchange. any help here? i'll post some pics of the new acro later

i really love your pico man, just superb.'

one of my favs. def'ly!

thanks man, you've got an interesting tank too, i'm excited to see where it goes

Archived