Top Shelf Aquatics

2.7 Gallon AIO Pico Reef Setup

plantarms

How did you prevent any detritus from getting into any part of the sandbed, and no spots of coralline on the glass or down in the sandbed for 24+ mos that's hard to do

when i do tank cleanings i take out the coral and put it into a separate bucket. Then take a credit card and scrape the glass down and change the majority of the water

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some new chaeto and sponge filters today and added more sand for the pistol shrimp and goby. Working on a new tank design now that I have those two.

Added a mini jet 606 to the tank to pump which increased the flow to about 160 gph. All the coral is really looking better with the extra flow

• 3 weeks later...

here are some current pics and updates of the tank livestock

7840906904_2eedf6cb75_b.jpg

new gsp frag, working on covering the rock

7840908780_c504bbccf7_b.jpg

duncans doing great with the extra flow

7840910880_e4eeddd6ed_b.jpg

my remaining frag of trumpets has started recovering and growing new heads

7840914000_51a2edc22a_b.jpg

watchman still hiding out back with the pistol shrimp

7840915096_bd24e521d3_b.jpg

having some issues with my monti cap, started bleaching so i cut off bleached parts and fragged it into four different pieces

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Update for my tank:

The orange monti cap bleached completely and I lost it. I replaced it with a new encrusting monti

8443119566_655d1351ce.jpg

Just want to make sure

You have to use a relay on the ATo otherwise the 120V AC current will burn out the switch and cause failure

Hey, I actually have a relay wired up to the ato at this point, however I had the float switch directly wired into my aqualifter main outlet plug for about 3 years and never had any failure or issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a few changes to my tank this past week, will add pics soon:

Raised the LED lighting to be about 12'' off of the water as the SPS was showing issues and this may help reduce the intensity all around, it was previously an inch or two above the waterline.

Fragged the neon green trumpets

Got some ORA green birdnest acro and dragon soul favia

Traded the pistol shrimp and watchman goby for some xenia and hynophora

Adding a higher flow pump (271 gph) as well as loc line to get the flow kicked up in the tank

how is the goby/piston combo in a tank that size? I've thought about starting a pico with a goby pistol pair but was worried 3ish gallons was too small for them

how is the goby/piston combo in a tank that size? I've thought about starting a pico with a goby pistol pair but was worried 3ish gallons was too small for them

Honestly they probably shouldn't be in a tank that small for long, however while I had them (about 8 months) I had no issues other than the pistol shrimp burying or tipping over every single coral I put on the sandbed. I traded them to a friend with a biocube 14 as I've lost a lot of frags due to that shrimp

Just added orange and green monti cap, as well as some xenia. My tank is currently filled to the brim with coral and i'm out of rock space. Anyone in the Orlando area interested in a frag swap? I've got some neon green trumpet frags?

• 3 weeks later...

All my SPS took a dive. Not sure what went wrong, but it looks like all the tissue was eaten away. Everything else in the tank is doing great

What do you think happened?

L

Not sure, I think it might have been some sort of pest. Either way I'm staying away from montis for now. I picked up two acan frags, two ricordia, another favia, clove polys, and 30 heads of AOG palys this weekend

Archived