Top Shelf Aquatics

2.7 Gallon AIO Pico Reef Setup

plantarms

I asked if you buy it because it is very similar to the nice looking Dymax IQ3.

But the light coming with it seams very weak so, I'm looking for some DIY invention...

Keep refreshing your pico!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm i just looked up the dymax iq3, it does look kind of similiar. if you are looking into getting that and lighting something that small why not try building a small LED fixture?

Yes, I'm planing something like that!

But I don't know how much light I'll need for something with about 2 gallon in the display area (about 3 gallon with incorporated sump).

Can you show me where to look for that kind of information?

planning on doing a complete tank cleaning and change in aquascape soon, there is a big build of algae on the walls that the scrubber cannot get.

scraped the algae off the sides with a plastic card, added more sand, trimmed the chaeto, cleaned the sponge, did a large waterchange, and changed the rocks

DSCN3742.jpg

DSCN3736.jpg

DSCN3738.jpg

DSCN3740.jpg

DSCN3741.jpg

DSCN3746.jpg

DSCN3747.jpg

HOLY MOLEY! Do you have to take everything out everytime you do a big WC? i like the new scape! Thinking about how any in the world i can clean my display without scatching the acrylics? But so far everything is looking mighty good! Got any fish in there?

haha no, this is the first time i have taken everything out and just done a complete cleaning and rearrange. thanks! yeah i've got one yellow-tailed damsel in there. to clean the acrylic i use this nimble nano and then there was some really hard algae to get off that i scraped with a credit card, worked like a charm and no scratches on the acrylic

• 2 weeks later...
is this what a trumpet coral looks like before it splits into two heads?

DSCN3776.jpg

Little late, but yea, that head has 2 mouths, it will grow and divide right between them, mine has a couple heads looking just like that, and a few that looked like that before splitting.

Little late, but yea, that head has 2 mouths, it will grow and divide right between them, mine has a couple heads looking just like that, and a few that looked like that before splitting.

thanks, yeah it has started to split into two heads now, and one of the other ones is doing the same

getting back from 10 days to check the tank tomorrow, hopefully everything is still alive and kickin

hopefully its is ;)

can't wait to see how that trumpet coral's gonna grow. I was actually considering getting that neon green variant for my pico, but was unsure how it was going to look when it grew out...

just got back and everything is still alive! top off system worked great as always and the trumpet coral has split even more. there is a lot of algae on the walls that i need to clean, and i have gotten some good coralline growth while gone

the tank looks good. i like the scape.

thanks! i'm trying to fill it up as much as a can with some different corals (duncans, some acros, superman/sunset monti, ricordeas, blue cloves, and some more zoas) but that will probably take a while on a college budget ;)

i've got a lot of work i've been putting off on this tank

• trim chaeto
    scrape algae from walls
    superglue some vermitid snails
    clean and rinse out pump and float switch
    get more salt for waterchange
    test levels and dose calcium
    check out something that looks like it may be bubble algae
    make ro/di water for topoff
    make permanent places for corals

also my trumpet coral has started to split into two heads

(night shot)

DSCN4009.jpg

yeah they do, i just got back from the lfs and got a 2 polyp frag of some palys, not sure what type maybe someone can id them for me. also got two more scarlet hermits, two small turbo snails and some more tropic marin sea salt

new palys, anyone know the name?

DSCN4036.jpg

sexy shrimp still living in the fuge, three months and counting

DSCN4031.jpg

orange monti cap is starting to bleach, i've been having some problems with calcium and dkh levels

DSCN4013.jpg

aw man, why does everyone have these cool green-brown palys and I get stuck with shabby looking bleached brown ones :(

Nice addition though!

thanks! they're currently not looking too hot though, i think the transition from a lower light to the high powered LED's is taking its toll, i have dimmed the LED's but they're still closed up and looking a little wrinkled

Archived