SaltCritters.com

2.7 Gallon AIO Pico Reef Setup

plantarms

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

update on the tank: i have almost completed my LED fuge light, and I am playing around with an arduino duemilanove micro controller to possibly setup LED fades, temp output, time, and even possibly ato settings. also I am going to try to find some sort of adjustable nozzle to create more surface agitation, however the return nozzle is an abnormal size, any ideas?

superglued on an adjustable nozzle the return flow to create more surface agitation, and kicked up the power of the pump some. also have added the LED refugium light to the back of the tank to grow chaeto. also on a side not i have seen two micro brittle stars in the lr now

DSCN3250.jpg

superglued on an adjustable nozzle the return flow to create more surface agitation, and kicked up the power of the pump some. also have added the LED refugium light to the back of the tank to grow chaeto. also on a side not i have seen two micro brittle stars in the lr now

DSCN3250.jpg

i realy like it :)

i finally learned how to take a decent picture!

DSCN3294.jpg

can anyone id this algae?

DSCN3295.jpg

xenia has connected to rock, i'm assuming for more support since i increased the flow in the tank

DSCN3296.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Tank is looking good so far. Anything new?

thanks, i hope it's going to still be looking good when i get back to it, i had to leave it for 6 days at school by itself. about a week ago i ordered a float switch and built a snails guard for it and wired it to an aqualifter which is plugged into an outlet timer that only lets the float switch operate in 2 minute intervals from 12:00pm-12:02pm, 5:00pm-5:02pm, and 1:00am-1:02am. I did this to prevent any flooding if the float switch somehow malfunctioned. Also my xenia may have split by now, i will take pictures and update when i get back

just checked out the tank at night with a flashlight and found that i have a small brittle star (about the size of a dime) and a brittle worm that i was able to remove! those guys have been in there for about 5 weeks without being seen

5 weeks? I just found a brittle star and bristle worm after 1 year, god knows where they were hiding, my eyes are glued to the tank constantly.

5 weeks? I just found a brittle star and bristle worm after 1 year, god knows where they were hiding, my eyes are glued to the tank constantly.

haha yeah for real, i find so many new things all the time when i look at the tank at night, and then i don't see it again for another few weeks

Update:

Tank did great by itself for 6 days over thanksgiving! My DIY auto top off worked great and I was very relieved to find everything alive! The xenia has moved to an area with more flow, i thought it was splitting but i guess it just moved itself? I've been dipping the small frag of tubbs blues zoas in an iodine mixture for a couple days now because they've been looking sick and not opening, maybe too much light?? Here is an updated pic

DSCN3311.jpg

very nice tank you got going along... i really like your zoas you got there

thanks man, i'm hoping to add some more coral soon to fill up the tank! it takes more time on a college budget

Lookin' Good! The top right rock looks a little unstable though, :o make sure it's safe.

yeah i've been thinking about rearranging the rock work fairly soon, and that's part of the reason. i would also like to make some more lower light areas for the zoas

i cleaned out the back fuge area and kicked up the flow some, also the tubing from the pump to make it easier to get to. here is a picture of the back and the float switch, fuge light, etc..

DSCN3316.jpg

i've been having problems with my extra large pods eating my new zoa frags. they already destroyed one frag of zoas and now they are attacking my new frag. are there any suitable predators for a 3 gallon pico tank that will take out my larger pods?

• 2 weeks later...

my girlfriend got me three heads of kryptonite trumpet coral for christmas! she even did her research and everything to make sure it would go in my tank

DSCN3474.jpg

DSCN3475.jpg

spankyleatherlips

Wow, you tank is beautiful. I don't know about big pod eating fish in a small tank. I see some in mine and hope my sexies or bumblebee shrimp will eat them. I also have a pom pom (had 2 but can't find :( the other one)

hey thanks! yeah im not quite sure what to do about the pods, basically i just cant add anymore zoas or they will be eaten, and i am not too fond of the idea of adding a fish to my pico

trumpet coral was not doing so great for a while but i changed a few things around and now it is looking good! also added a yellow tailed damsel and a small frag of clove polyps

DSCN3590.jpg

Archived