Innovative Marine Aquariums

2.7 Gallon AIO Pico Reef Setup

plantarms

2.7 gallon acrylic pico tank setup

Tank: 2.7 gallons (8''x10''x8'')
Lighting: 10'' Current Nova Extreme LED Retrofit (4rb, 4cw run at about 20%)
Flow: Provided by the azoo 1000 pump split into 3 1/4'' loc line tubes. Total of about 270 gph Mini Jet 606 return pump, about 120gph
Filtration: I am currently using about 4lbs of live rock, 1/2'' live sand bed, and a pre-filter sponge, chemi-pure elite, chaeto, and neozeo filter media rocks rubble rock in the refugium.
Corals: Ricordea, Nuclear Green Palys, Green Star Polyps, Orange Monti Cap, Neon Green Trumpet Coral, Eagle Eye Zoas, Pink Zoas, Clove Polyps, Duncans, Acropora, Encrusting Monti, Birdsnest Acro, Orange Monti Cap, Green Monti Cap, Xenia, Dragon Soul Favia,
Livestock: Yellow-tailed damsel, two turbo snails, two scarlet hermits, pistol shrimp, yellow watchman goby
ATO: A DIY project using a small float switch wired to an aqua lifter that pulls water from a 5 gallon reservoir
Fuge Light: Submersible 10w light for the fuge and chaeto growth has been great!

FTS 9_24_2009
DSCN3051.jpg

FTS 1_20_2010
DSCN3659.jpg

FTS 4_10_2010
DSCN4153.jpg

FTS 9_21_2010
5012602584_9795ca3611_b.jpg

FTS 2_28_2013

8515378267_3ba2522cb2_b.jpg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm keeping the clown in it's current tank, i would just move some of the corals and maybe a snail or two and a scarlet hermit. any suggestions on how to keep snails from knocking over frags?

pico pictures

DSCN2952.jpg

DSCN2951.jpg

DSCN2953.jpg

DSCN2954.jpg

5.5 setup (no longer exists)

DSCN2955.jpg

DSCN2956.jpg

DSCN2958.jpg

DSCN2960.jpg

Warehouse41Ant

Haha, that thing is tiny. Very cool. Going to tag along on this one, and am excited to see how the tank progresses, I may do a 5.5 AIO one day. Have the tank, just need to add the wall/overflow. Anywho, good luck with this one, I'll be watching!

i got my rena 50w smart heater today! it was a whole lot thicker than i thought it would be (check out picture below) but it just fits in the back of the tank. added a piece of live rock, and will add some live sand after classes today. I am having a small problem with the overflow, the pump with it is too powerful and the slot cut in for the overflow don't allow enough water through to equalize it. I think i'm going to replace the pump that came with it with my mini jet 404 and crank it down

DSCN2972.jpg

DSCN2973.jpg

DSCN2974.jpg

DSCN2975.jpg

i stuffed some cheato in the overflow part, but it's kind of cramped in there. i guess i will have to pull it out every once in a while to give it some room to grow

If it was me I would keep the pump and using a pair of pliers you should be able to break out one or two of the overflow tabs (maybe one at each end.) That would solve the overflow problem.

a couple changes in my other tank

added frag rack and smaller powerhead (maxi jet 600 is in the tank but not in use)

DSCN2980.jpg

corals seem to have opened up more under less flow

DSCN2983.jpg

just ordered a current satellite 12'' 36w light! i can't wait to put it on the tank with the corals! i will post pics when i get it in about a week. i am also getting some tubs blues and eagle eye zoas!

Can you shoot me a link to the 12" 36w light? I thought they only went up to 18w in that size? That is pretty cool if they have more output for that size now.

here is where i got mine, current usa stopped making most of their fixtures probably because they're coming out with new LED lighting so these are really hard to find now. This is the cheapest price I can find anywhere, and it has free shipping! oh wow, i just went there and i must have bought the last one in stock because it's sold out now. here is another website i found

http://www.juliespetmarket.com/current-cur...ite-p-3134.html

Warehouse41Ant

Make sure to post pics of the new light!

Also, you say you had your tank made, but by who? Was it shipped to you? Could I get a 5g made similar to yours? I'm just full o' questions.

Also, you say you had your tank made, but by who? Was it shipped to you? Could I get a 5g made similar to yours? I'm just full o' questions.

i know who made it ;) looking good btw that pump has an adjustment on it. how many gph is the maxi u want to use?

i know who made it ;) looking good btw that pump has an adjustment on it. how many gph is the maxi u want to use?

yeah i switched to the mini jet and put the other one in my 5.5 gallon tank, did you make this tank? the mini jet 404 pump ranges from 18g ph to 108 gph and i have it at the second lowest setting, probably about 40 gph, i was having trouble with my pulsing xenia in a higher flow

If it was me I would keep the pump and using a pair of pliers you should be able to break out one or two of the overflow tabs (maybe one at each end.) That would solve the overflow problem.

yeah break a new tank thats a plan :huh:

yeah i switched to the mini jet and put the other one in my 5.5 gallon tank, did you make this tank? the mini jet 404 pump ranges from 18g ph to 108 gph and i have it at the second lowest setting, probably about 40 gph, i was having trouble with my pulsing xenia in a higher flow

sure did you bought it from aquaticlifesupport.com correct? how is the mini jet for the overflow?

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4995548

here is the five gallon model, i highly suggest this tank, it was made very well! I will definitely post pics once I get the new light! here are a few updates as of right now (this is with the 18w light)

DSCN3051.jpg

DSCN3052.jpg

sure did you bought it from aquaticlifesupport.com correct? how is the mini jet for the overflow?

haha yeah i wasn't about to snap off an part of this tank! the mini jet works great, i also replaced the tubing to a more flexible type of hose so it was easier to connect and move around and added a filter sponge between the two back sections because i was getting a lot of dust in the water. props to you for making an amazing tank!

its a nimble nano, which has a lot slimmer profile than a mag-float. got it from here

http://www.nimblenano.com/

glad to make it for u. i will be following your progress. ;)

i am taking a break from building. maybe for a long time. you have one of my last pico tanks. there only 17 others just like it in the world.

light came in, here are some pics along with some new zoas!

daylight only

DSCN3065.jpg

actinics only

DSCN3066.jpg

both daylight and actinics

DSCN3067.jpg

sexy shrimp

DSCN3072.jpg

eagle eyes

DSCN3078.jpg

pinks

DSCN3079.jpg