Innovative Marine Aquariums

2.7 Gallon AIO Pico Reef Setup

plantarms

Those are some serious trumpets!

thanks, they have grown from 3 heads to 9 heads in about 10 months

so much better! i like how everyone seems to have a wall of coralline growing in their tank, while I cant seem to get any significant amount going lol. I wonder what takes all the calcium in my pico...it must be the hundreds of dwarf cerith snails that breed every month in my tank >_<

haha most likely, my coralline actually didn't start growing well until i started dosing with calcium, i have to be really careful about it though, no problems yet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just dosed some liquid reef to raise calcium and alk levels. does anyone have any experience using brightwell aquatic's alkalin8.3?

• 2 weeks later...

one of the power supplies for my LED light just died, so i'm currently only running the white LED's while the new one is coming in.

is this tank DIY?

for the most part yes, I built the lighting and ato, and I had the tank custom built by someone on this website

• 3 months later...

I am breaking down the tank for a while, so I will be selling off the coral. PM me if you are interested, I will make a post with prices and pics in the marketplace soon.

well thats too bad. Was a nice looking tank. Good luck on selling everything.

How much for the mag cleaner shipped?

Thanks!

Ahh no good man. Are you still in Winter Park ? And how much for the rics and zoa's ? Im in sanford.

I've got the sales thread up now

Whoa what happen? I just started my tank but why u breaking down?

Moving from college to a real job. I plan on picking back up again so I'm keeping my tank and custom LED fixture, but I'm selling the coral and livestock.

• 6 months later...

to my astonishment, my 2.7 gallon pico has kept up with itself very nicely despite my neglect and abuse over the last 6 months. i have only done one water change, the pump has almost stopped creating any flow in the tank, and the walls are full of algae. despite these conditions I have only lost the small acro out of all the livestock. everything else has done great and grown many more heads/polyps, including the neon green trumpet, duncans, and nuclear green zoas, etc. the only constant maintenance that has been done to the tank is filling up the 5 gallon ato bucket every few months. maybe this is the way to go, all i need to do is scrub the front wall so i can see everything.

• 9 months later...

Added a few new things today after cleaning the tank. First tank cleaning since september from the last post. Everything has done fairly well though. Ricordea melted away along with a colony of zoas. Added a pistol shrimp watchman goby pair today along with a frag of acro and tree frog chalice. Also fragged the green trumpets into seven separate pieces each with about 5 heads. That thing grew fast!

That's is a cool awesome pistol shrimp! Good to hear that your tank is doing good and running. FTS would be even awesome!

here is a full tank shot, tank is still cloudy and stuff is trying to open up after the cleaning and the pistol shrimp digging everywhere

7433004782_23eaaaf292_b.jpg

Everything still looking good! Your candy cane and Duncan have grown some new head I see!

That is 1/7 of the candy cane, rest of the frags are in a separate holding tank

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately lost a lot of coral while I was on my honeymoon. The watchman goby and pistol shrimp re-arranged everything and buried tons of stuff on my sand bed...should have seen that coming. Casualties included: colony of nuclear greens, frag of orange monti cap, new acro, gsp, tree frog chalice, eagle eye zoas, xenia. Currently the only coral that remains is the orange monti cap, duncans, and neon green trumpet. I guess I've got to start over now

Firstly congrats on your mariage and honeymoon.

Secondly, sorry to hear about what had happen to all your corals hope you can rescue most of it.

Third, can't wait to see what you will do next with this tank. I remember watching that candy cane grew from 1-2 head to a colonies now. Good stuff!

Firstly congrats on your mariage and honeymoon.

Secondly, sorry to hear about what had happen to all your corals hope you can rescue most of it.

Third, can't wait to see what you will do next with this tank. I remember watching that candy cane grew from 1-2 head to a colonies now. Good stuff!

Thanks!

Most of the coral is way past gone, but I think I might try to get some gsp frags and attach them to the back wall next. Anything i put on the sand bed will get covered by the shrimp.

How did you prevent any detritus from getting into any part of the sandbed, and no spots of coralline on the glass or down in the sandbed for 24+ mos that's hard to do

Archived