Top Shelf Aquatics

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

disaster999

no bueno

:(

yeah its a bummer, I thought it would flatten out like some sps Ive seen else where, but I was wrong

Just the tip right?! ;)

well it grew out of the water, then the tip died, and its slowly creeping down. I have to cut the branch off before it gets any worse

• Like 1

yeah its a bummer, I thought it would flatten out like some sps Ive seen else where, but I was wrong

well it grew out of the water, then the tip died, and its slowly creeping down. I have to cut the branch off before it gets any worse

Ya... I was kinda hoping it was doing to flatten out too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
disaster999

SIGH....getting REALLY tired of this bullshit...

I have nuked my tank 2 times with flat worm exit, and they STILL come back

IMAG2782.jpg

also, ive killed and cooked all my rocks 2-3 years ago trying to get rid of these fuzzy looking thing...but they still find its way into my tank.

IMAG2783.jpg

I think when I pulled out all the corals out before to kill the rocks, some were still attached to the corals.

This is mainly why I havent posted in a while. And just feeling very depressed when looking at my tank right now. But Ive dumped so much time, sweat, and money into this tank and its sad to see everything just slowly rotting away. Something has to be done. So heres my plan.

Everything in this tank has to come out. All the corals will be fragged from the base and soaked in flat warm exit and other bug eliminating solution so for sure i dont have any hitch hikers left. They will be placed in a holding tub along with all my fish and shrimps for the time being until I have taking everything out of the tank and cleaned. The corals and fish will then go back into a bare tank until my rocks are ready.

All rocks and sand will come out. I will not be reusing my rocks again. I will get new rocks and soak them in h2o2 to kill off every single living thing on the rock and cook them for a at least 2 months. Im hoping this will once and for all kill off the dreaded fuzzy brown shit and flatworms once and for all. Ill probably get new sand while im at it.

The tank and sump will be emptied and scrubbed clean. getting every single bit of algae off the glass. Ill probably modifiy the sump and hopefully tune it to my liking.

This is going to be a long journey and I hopefully have enough drive to see it through and not make short cuts along the way.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear :( Maybe all dry reef-cleaners rock is in order to be sure of no pests? I suppose that takes longer to establish though.

disaster999

I have to see where I can order those. As far as I know, Hong Kong dont have those type of dry rocks for sale. either store bought rocks or used rocks thats been dried by fellow reefers

jedimasterben

Muriatic acid is your friend, not hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide is strong, but acid is far and above going to clean the rocks better.

Be warned, though, that nothing survives. Your bacterial profiles on the rock will be zilch, and your tank will only have the tiny bit of species that come in on corals, and your tank can go through a lot more of 'the uglies' because of it.

disaster999

Any suggestions to avoid the uglies? Thinking of adding beneficial bacteria like Prodibio's Bio Digest, or Zeovit's SeoStart3 or other similar bacteria into my tank when starting new.

jedimasterben

IMHO it's still going to happen. I went absolutely gung-ho with Microbacter7 and two of Dr. Tim's bacterial additives. The uglies were still uglies, and damn they were ugly. Took about a year for them to stop being green, and even then they were just dark grey. At least now, using 50% live rock, the dry rocks were quickly hit by mixture of algae colors instead of just poop green :)

• 4 weeks later...
disaster999

Taking in Jedi's advice, I went ahead and tried to find muriatic acid (HCl) in Hong Kong and it wasnt as easy as i thought, I wish I was back in the states where i can just go to Home Depot or Lowes and grab a few gallons. First off, no one from the hardware store know what muriatic acid is, nor do they know what HCl is. I asked my local forum and they said the common name for it is "salt acid" or "stone cleaner", so I got a 1L of that, just to try it out.

The bottle doesnt say what the chemical composition is nor does it say the concentration. So I went by my intuition and tested it out little by little. I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with tap water and added some stone cleaner. Threw some old rocks i have lying around and waited for the bubble explosion. But what i got was lots of micro bubbles. Thinking the solution might be too weak so I added half the bottle and this is what I got.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Lots of fizzing and micro bubbles inside the bucket but I dont really see it doing anything. I pulled out a rock out and it looked the same before I put it in. Thinking maybe because my rocks are TOO dead, I fished out some dead coral and rocks inside my tank to see if thats the problem. Nope, wasnt the case.

At this point Im pretty sure either whatever I bought isnt what I thought it was, Or its just a super weak ass solution. To test out my theory, I pour some of the rock cleaner solution into a bowl and dunked in a piece of rock with some gps and algae directly into it. It fizzed and bubbled up a lot more violently than the diluted solution, But no where near the reaction I saw online.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The solution doesnt smell like anything either, before or after. No vinegar smell. nothing like acid at all. So Im thinking this isnt muriatic acid at all and its something else instead. Ill keep looking around for the right solution, if not at least I can get H2O2 relatively easy here and used that instead.

jedimasterben

Well, unfortunately it looks like that is basically just household vinegar strength, maybe even less :(

What % of peroxide are you able to reliably get there?

Disaster, sorry to hear about the troubles. what is the fuzzy stuff on the rocks that keeps coming back? have a close up photo?

Cycle your holding tank(s) before you make the cleaning move. Also throw in skimmate when the tank is cycling.

disaster999

Well, unfortunately it looks like that is basically just household vinegar strength, maybe even less :(

What % of peroxide are you able to reliably get there?

Im not really sure, but I can easily get h2o2 at pharmacies. Whatever the typical pharmacy type h2o2 strength...I can check tomorrow.

Disaster, sorry to hear about the troubles. what is the fuzzy stuff on the rocks that keeps coming back? have a close up photo?

Cycle your holding tank(s) before you make the cleaning move. Also throw in skimmate when the tank is cycling.

Kat, heres the picture again

IMAG2783.jpg

this stuff is literally all over my tank. Also, the flatworms are making a strong come back not matter how many times i nuke my tank with FWE

Those are hydroids. At least that is what they look like to me. You're cooking the rocks now so this may be moot, super gluing over them, actually smearing them with the glue to entomb them works. If every surface is covered, why not just get new rock?

Also hydroids have a special nudibranch that eats them, i wonder if you have access to those guys easier than we do here.

Your weak acid looks like peroxide to me. Especially if there is no smell. With muratic acid you need to be in a ventilated room or you could fume yourself bad.

Flat worms are resilient. I've dosed my fuge many times and all that happens is that they go away for a couple of days but come right back. I took out everything, and re-did the fuge, they were gone for a couple of months and came right back.

Plus they develop an immunity to FWE. All I really kill now are the beneficial pods with FWE. :(

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Im not really sure, but I can easily get h2o2 at pharmacies. Whatever the typical pharmacy type h2o2 strength...I can check tomorrow.

Pharmacy stuff is a weak 3%, and unfortunately unless you soak the rock in pure 3% it won't really do anything. I've got a bucket of rocks right now that is sitting in pure 3% (cost me a stupid amount of money too :( ) and has been for weeks now, after about 24 hours it stopped bubbling and the rocks look the same. :/

jedimasterben

that sucks....i gotta ask my construction peeps and see if they can help get something more concentrated. :mellow:

That's a good idea, they should be able to get some good stuff!

disaster999

Those are hydroids. At least that is what they look like to me. You're cooking the rocks now so this may be moot, super gluing over them, actually smearing them with the glue to entomb them works. If every surface is covered, why not just get new rock?

Also hydroids have a special nudibranch that eats them, i wonder if you have access to those guys easier than we do here.

Your weak acid looks like peroxide to me. Especially if there is no smell. With muratic acid you need to be in a ventilated room or you could fume yourself bad.

Flat worms are resilient. I've dosed my fuge many times and all that happens is that they go away for a couple of days but come right back. I took out everything, and re-did the fuge, they were gone for a couple of months and came right back.

Plus they develop an immunity to FWE. All I really kill now are the beneficial pods with FWE. :(

I thought about getting new rocks, but dont know if I want to spend the money doing so. I was looking at my tank yesterday and lost all hope for my tank, staring at the hydroids and flatworm. I just wanted to burn it to the ground. Im going to be so frustrated trying to salvage every coral that I can without rage throwing it into the garbage.

New rocks might make my life easier as I can nuke it and cure it in a tub while I sort out my tank without reeking havoc on my cycle risk loosing more than I hoped for.

Im probably going to end up with tiny frags and have to wait for them to regrow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999

so would you rather have 10-15 gals of dilute HCl, or a 30%+ concentrate h2o2?.....

price wise h2o2 would be so much cheaper...but would it be more effective than HCl?