Cultivated Reef

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

• 2 months later...

its plagued with aiptasia...i have 4 lazy ass peppermint shrimp that doesnt seem to be doing anything to the aiptasia population. Im having some water quality issues as well since my RO membrane is shot god knows for how long. ive been using basically tap water for water changes for some time now. the tank isnt looking that great right now there for the lack of updates.

ill have a light update in a few weeks as i will be completely overhauling it. LEDs from ledgroupbuy arrived and i just need to spend a weekend cleaning up my old light, pulling off all the old LED and putting in the new ones.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, love seing the progression of the tank. Do you have an updated equipment list? I am considering the Avast CS1 for my tank ~130 GAL total system volume SPS dominated with a heavy bioload and was wondering if you still run the CS1 and how it has been performing. Would still you recommend this skimmer or go with a different skimmer?

• Like 1

Im still using the CS-1. Its working perfectly fine for me. I recently put the re-circulation mod back onto the skimmer, and it wasnt as loud as it was previously. Its pulling gunk constantly with the recir mod.

Would I recommend it....WELL if your someone that loves to build stuff and DIY and mess with their equipment to make it better. Then this is a pretty good platform for you to tinker with. All the plumbing is just regular 1" tubing and all the hardware can be store bought. There are very few proprietary items.

If your the type of person that buys something and expect it to work out of the box and not mess with it then I think you should look at other skimmers. Esp with the new inexpensive DC skimmer pumps from waveline, you can get a very good performer for the price of the CS-1.

As for my Tank, Im struggling with aiptasia right now and im going through a lighting upgrade. I have to take down my light and redo my entire LED layout. I will have an update within a weeks time hopefully. My tank will be light-less for a few days

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

awesome tank...i have a 104 I got ich in...for the last week and a half ive been catching/trapping fish. as of today the one i still cant get is the damn 3 stripe damsel...little bastard

• Like 1
its plagued with aiptasia...i have 4 lazy ass peppermint shrimp that doesnt seem to be doing anything to the aiptasia population.

First off, nice LED build. Looking awesome bro.

I was in the same boat you are with the aiptasia nems. Bought 4 aiptasia nudi's that were somewhat small. Never saw them for 3 months and just thought my flame wrasse had a nice meal. Then I saw one which had tripled in size strolling across the glass. Then a couple of days later a patch of nems disappeared. Slowly buy surely they are doing the job. I'm actually surprised how they have been taking out the pests. Once they've done their job, I have a few friends that need them. But I wanna have a chamber in the sump to always have them on hand. I'd said give it a try.

• Like 2

This tank is sooo not a disaster. :) haha (see what I did there).

Such a nice balance between LPS and SPS.

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Thanks, I like the balance too. The xenias are growing too fast, I gotta sell them soon.

awesome tank...i have a 104 I got ich in...for the last week and a half ive been catching/trapping fish. as of today the one i still cant get is the damn 3 stripe damsel...little bastard

Yeah I hate catching fish, esp the ones are are too smart for the trap box. I tried for weeks and got fed up I just started tearing into my tank.

First off, nice LED build. Looking awesome bro. I was in the same boat you are with the aiptasia nems. Bought 4 aiptasia nudi's that were somewhat small. Never saw them for 3 months and just thought my flame wrasse had a nice meal. Then I saw one which had tripled in size strolling across the glass. Then a couple of days later a patch of nems disappeared. Slowly buy surely they are doing the job. I'm actually surprised how they have been taking out the pests. Once they've done their job, I have a few friends that need them. But I wanna have a chamber in the sump to always have them on hand. I'd said give it a try.

Yeah I just have to give them shrimp more time I guess. When I was upgrading my lights, my tank was in darkness for 5 days. I guess during that time the shrimp went to work and chowed down on a few of them. Im wondering if I should turn on night mode so they can move more easily at night to eat.

• Like 2

so I have a sohal tang in a 5gal bucket soaking in copper since Sunday @ 28-29c water. Do you think its time for him to move into my tank or should I wait till Sunday for a full week (or longer) before transferring him to my tank?

I wasnt treating it for anything, I didnt see any ich or other parasites on him. The copper was just preventative measures to make sure anything else on him is totally dead before going into my tank. I guess I'll soak him in copper for a bit longer.

On the other hand, Im not sure what changed, but Meeps new program and me directly connecting the arduino to the light fixed my HV channel problem. The color looks A LOT better with the extra HV. Natural white and HV really go hand in hand.

Excuse the single non working LED, I skipped that one thinking because of the high forwarding voltage caused the HV channel to not to work before. Ill fix that soon enough.

IMAG1959.jpg

My temporary wiring

IMAG1960.jpg

Corals are looking much better with this light

IMAG1961.jpg

• Like 5