SaltCritters.com

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

Trust me, you won't want that Sohal when it's big, or even soon. They are nasty, one nearly has taken my finger off twice, once from trying to bite it, and another from it's scalpel :eek:

So yeah, just watch him/her, aggression, behavior, everything.

disaster999

Trust me, you won't want that Sohal when it's big, or even soon. They are nasty, one nearly has taken my finger off twice, once from trying to bite it, and another from it's scalpel :eek:

So yeah, just watch him/her, aggression, behavior, everything.

i had sohal before and they are nothing but full of personality. They never showed any aggression towards any of his tank mates before. But thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999

sad face indeed...i dont know if i should catch them with my trap box which might take a few days or just rip everything apart and pull out all the rocks to catch them

disaster999

good news and bad news.......

i didnt need to completely take out every single rock in my tank to take the clowns out. the tang is still pretty healthy so im going to try and trap him instead.

the bad news, which everyone who follows my thread would probably be pretty sad about...my frogspawn fragged itself. the branches wasnt able to support its own weight out of the water and *snap*

im sure most of you will be

son_i_am_disappoint.gif

but

so-sorry-meme-generator-i-m-sorry-i-m-so

its gonna be a while before it will grow back it its original size, but i might be able frag it into smaller branches and sell it for a decent amount of money.

• Like 1

Was the ick on the clowns bad enough to warrant tearing the tank apart and in turn "destroying" one of the highlights of the tank? Seems like it was a rather quick decision now that I read back the post.

On the other hand, maybe it was a blessing in disguise as you were looking for more room anyways weren't you? :)

disaster999

the ick on the clown was bad enough to me to warrant the partial tear down. The frogspawn can grow back to its original size in no time, the same cant be said for the clowns. Ick was present in my tank for 2-3 weeks already and already killed the sohal tang. The only fish that seems to be immune to it is the purple tang. that is coming out as well, i want the entire tank to be fish free for a while and fish medicated so any ick left in the tank will die off

disaster999

sigh, all my clowns are still breathing pretty hard and they look pretty stressed. They used to go ape shit when they see food but they are totally ignoring it.

Im dosing Cupramine right now and i still see ick on the body. i hope i see some improvements tomorrow =(

jedimasterben

It'll take a few days to start killing it, man, don't stress too much over it just yet. If they look really terrible, do a pH-matched freshwater dip on them for five minutes or so, it will knock off some of the parasites in their gills and help them breathe a bit easier.

• Like 1
disaster999

im really not doing much to stress them, they are in the hospital tank with an air stone and a small pump for water movement. im changing water on the tank everyday with my main tank water to keep the water fresh but not newly mixed water fresh. i dont have a established filter with bacteria so im changing water everyday to keep the ammonia level low

one of the designer clown is on its side breathing heavily now...i dont think it will make it :tears:

jedimasterben

If there are any free-swimming parasites in your tank water, you're possibly reinfecting the fish with every water change.

I'm so sorry to hear about your frogspawn and especially your designer clownfish. Keep you in my prayers and hope everything will turn out good again.

• Like 1
disaster999

yeah, to me it seems like a double edge sword.

replace the water with newly mixed saltwater which will be 100% free of parasite, but might stress the fish out more

or

add tank water to the hospital tank which had its "raw edge" conditioned by the benifitial bacteria and such in the tank but risk introducing floating parasites.

i chose the latter since I am adding copper to the water and that should, theoretically, kill off any parasite affected by it

disaster999

because i have to catch the fish. i didnt tear it all down, i mostly removed all my corals and was able to catch them. putting the corals back wasnt as hard as rescaping

disaster999

now all 3 remaining clownfish seemed to have made a full recovery. they arent hanging out in the surface of the water and are sleeping on the bottom. they are all eating as well so thats a good sign. now i just gotta run my tank fishless for a month to make sure all the ick is dead before moving the fish back in

disaster999

oh wow...3 months without fish in the tank...i need to arrange something first then...i dont think my tang would enjoy being stuck in a 15 gal tank for that long

jedimasterben

How big is the purple tang? A 20 long or 29g would be fine if its up to around 4-5" or so, so long as it is well-fed (does it eat pellets, such as NLS?).