Pod Your Reef

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

Wait so you had two pairs of clowns in your tank? Thats probably the jumper cause... Btw beautiful tank sir

if you are saying they were aggressive towards each other then no. they pretty much ignored one another and did their own thing. i never saw any aggression between the 4 clowns.

oh thats better got me scared there.

haha, yeah, i dont think ill buy them if they were $200

disaster999

Thanks nanoreef-r. i too love the sohal tang. so much personality

6 months ago i entered a contest to see who can grow out the same piece of SPS the best in half a year. heres what my frag looks like
Sept 2012
DSCN0810.JPG
Oct 2012
DSC_4175.JPG
Nov 2012
DSC_4244.JPG
Dec 2012 shot this in jpeg, forgot to adjust white balance
DSC_5162.JPG
Jan 2013
DSC_5183.JPG
Feb 2013
DSC_5278.JPG
Mar 2013
DSC_0189.JPG
the first price is a Maxspect Razor, hope i have a chance, facing some tough competition

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
disaster999

so i got a new camera to replace my 8 year old DSLR so of course i have to try out the video function...

let me know what you think....the colors in the video is very MEH

• Like 2
disaster999

D600 and my 60mm macro and 50mm F1.8

i still have my 17-55mm F2.8 but thats for FX and its being serviced right now. i still have to wait 2 more weeks at least till i get it back

• Like 1
disaster999

oh just an update with my contest, i got into the top 4 (5 to be exact, but one of the contestants failed to supply a month picture so he was disqualified). the ones who organized the whole contest came over for a house visit and checked out the sps in person and take pictures.

just gotta wait for the final verdict. fingerscrossed

• Like 2
disaster999

well this is sad...my sohal tang died last night....pretty much watched it die. there was nothing i can do. he was fine the previous day but last night he was hiding behind some corals and wasnt responding to food or taps on the glass. usually he will go ape shit for pellets but he just sat there last night breathing pretty hard. The purple tang which was buddies with the sohal tang tried to get it to move by constantly swimming next to it and keep wagging his tail. eventually he died and i fished it out and flushed it down the toilet.

le sigh...

i guess im to blame as well as the ONLY thing i can think of as to why my sohal tang died was because i bought a adorned wrasse a few days ago as a recommendation from a friend. he said it will eat flatworms. it took cared of his flatworm population for him so i thought ill give it a try. did my regular temp match acclimation and fished the fish out. the wrasse died 2 days later and i thought nothing of it. its pretty normal to me since its pretty much a gamble with these cheap fish. you never know how they were caught. but never would i thought it would of affected my sohal tang. all my other fish are fine and didnt seem to have any problem. but i will keep an eye out for any signs. i do not want to loose my designer clowns.

disaster999

then not sure what was the cause.

gotta monitor the tank for a month to make sure nothing dies before ill restock it again....

disaster999

ive heard stories where they were the king in the tank and everyone is scared of him. but mine seemed pretty mellow and pretty playful. i have another tang in the tank and i never seen my sohal tang trying to kill him. they were like best buddies and always around each other. like i mentioned before, the purple tang was deeply sadden by his death. he was by his side and "fanning" the sohal tank when it was dying.

the sohal tang does zip around your tank crazy fast esp during feeding time and just gobble up ever single pellet thats in the tank and totally disregarding other fish in the tank so that might make it seem its the boss and other fish is scared/afraid of him.

definitely recommend this fish...but just as a precaution. i would add this fish last in your tank just so he wouldnt bother other tank mates

oh and the SPS growing contest i entered. i was placed 3rd. Pretty happy about my result. probably would of done better if i didnt have any calcium problem and stunned its growth for a while, i guess next time.

my prize is a bag of reef pearls. always wanted to try it. ill give a review later

• Like 1