Pod Your Reef

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

I just read though everything, i love this build! NO expense was spared, and it shows! How long did you plan this tank out for?

Its a great build I'm glad to see that everything is thriving, I love the internal euro brace and the higher sump walls in the back it gives off the impression that everything was done with due diligence, the placement of the raised egg crate is an awesome idea, i love how it gives debris the chance to setting on the sump floor instead of in the substrate and gives you perfect access to the bottom of the sump when you need to clean it out

I have to ask if you had seen a tank like this build before and took ideas from here and there to create your tank or was this all your mind running wild and problem solving from previous tanks?

Either way i have to say this is a beautiful tank in design execution and aesthetics!

disaster999

I just read though everything, i love this build! NO expense was spared, and it shows! How long did you plan this tank out for?

Its a great build I'm glad to see that everything is thriving, I love the internal euro brace and the higher sump walls in the back it gives off the impression that everything was done with due diligence, the placement of the raised egg crate is an awesome idea, i love how it gives debris the chance to setting on the sump floor instead of in the substrate and gives you perfect access to the bottom of the sump when you need to clean it out

I have to ask if you had seen a tank like this build before and took ideas from here and there to create your tank or was this all your mind running wild and problem solving from previous tanks?

Either way i have to say this is a beautiful tank in design execution and aesthetics!

To be honest, there wasnt much planning at first. when i first started with this large tank build i pretty much went to a fish store and pointed at their display tank and told them i want one exactly like this (which was a mistake which lead to all the modifications later on)

the fish stores have been making tanks for everyone that walks into their store that they pretty much have a general idea of how a typical display tank + sump setup should be unless you specificly tell them how you want it...which is what i went with later on.

i guess to sum it all up, i pretty much figured out a lot of stuff along the way since this was my first large tank build. If i have to do it all over again now, i would of put more thought and planning into it since i have experience and learned from my mistakes.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It's funny, my led build turned out very similar by chance...

Great minds think alike

I just need some lenses and reflectors for mine...

• 1 month later...
disaster999

im actually thinking of messing with my LED lights again.

ordered some XT-E natrual whites, more Royal blues and going to try my hands on Meep's LED controller. hopefully this will satisfy me for a while before the mod bug sets in again and change the layout/components again. I think those 100W multicolor chip LEDgroupbuy has will be my next "upgrade"

havent updated my build in a while, thought ill update you guys as whats going on right now. a friend introduced my to grotech's additives which replenishes trace elements in the tank which enhances the colors on my coral.

IMAG1376.jpg

so far so good. I havent noticed any improvements but its only been a week and a half so i'll give it some time before making a full review.

another update, ive been plagued with flatworm in my system for a while now and been doing manually syphoning. but thats getting really tiresome and decided since it was a holiday yesterday, ill dose flatworm exit to the tank. syphoned out as much of the dead worms before they release toxins into the water. i couldnt get all of them out and i could see the toxins is affecting my 6line wrasse. did a 35% water change (35 gals) and the 6line bounced right back.

i think this took cared of 90% of the flatworms but im not ruling out the posibility of it bouncing back. went out and bought another bottle of flatworm exit and will dose again this weekend just to make sure.

disaster999

got the arduino in the mail and set it up last night, havent tried it out on my lights just yet. had some problems with the programming but all seems to be well now.

IMAG1430.jpg
IMAG1429.jpg
1371482872804.jpg
heres a video of what i was dealing with last night
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999

Dude I forgot about this tank, so awesome

but...but...but....how can you forget? :(

This tank gives me so many happy feelings. in my pants

:)

haha im glad it does. i have a long weekend this week, ill try and get some new pictures of the tank. the controller is finished, but im waiting on the new LED to come in so I can totally overhaul it

• Like 2
disaster999

I didnt even notice it until i look back at the old pictures that my SPS really grew a lot.

I will have to frag the fragspawn at some point. its growing into the glass

jedimasterben

I will have to frag the fragspawn at some point. its growing into the glass

Noooooo!!! Move it to another spot! That thing is one of the best parts of the tank!

• Like 1
disaster999

where can i move it to without major rescaping???

funny thing is...the family suggested i get a bigger tank for the frogspawn...hmmmm

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Hell yeah, that idea is better! :lol:

Idk, I'm just not a big believer in fragging stuff. Sure, sometimes it's gotta be done, that frogspawn is a masterpiece! I'd kill to have one that looked half as nice!

320.jpeg

;)

• Like 2
disaster999

perfect, i took cared of the flatworm problem, and now my purple tang has ick on his body. im getting the fish catcher ready and rescue all my clownfish if this gets any worse.

they are still eating like pigs

as promised, heres what my tank looks like right now

DSC_0461.JPG

When I look at this tank my eyes get fed a bunch of burgers and salads :wub::wub::wub:

IMO take out the Sohal and trade it for a cool hawkfish or something. Something to host the sps.

• Like 1
disaster999

When I look at this tank my eyes get fed a bunch of burgers and salads :wub::wub::wub:

IMO take out the Sohal and trade it for a cool hawkfish or something. Something to host the sps.

i had a clown goby host my pink milli and it damn near killed it. it have since been banished in my sump. i always liked the sohal tang and its staying. i still have room to add more fish tho

That frogspawn is awesome! Tank is looking great dude

thanks =)