Pod Your Reef

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
patrick1234
I plan on using an mj1200 so if anything I'll widen the teeth myself...

So we can change the aquarium other post you state no changing it what so ever.

simplenough

Yea but then people were complaining about that too, so i took it out. The main thing is for people to not alter the looks, and not to add volume.

Here is what it says in the rules

-no sumps allowed, the tank must be an AIO, with the same exact design as the one's erickrm is building. No adding HOB fuges, canister filter's, etc. to avoid adding volume

-"The contest is a 12" AIO cube contest, this doesn't need to be more difficult than need be, use the area in the tank that makes this an AIO for your pump, filtration etc and that's it. This isn't the here's a cube add 400 million outside extra's contest." This will be taken into account when judging for the aquariums is done.

Just wanted to share something I came across today. Might be useful for anyone wanting to go MH

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/ind...;cat=Reflectors

Bimini HQI Tank Mount Reflector

as low as 70watt for 99.95

Seems like a pretty good deal

Thanks for that! I was looking at this 70w HQI http://www.fishneedit.com/75w-metal-halide...ant-ligh75.html, but that looks like a great deal.

JavaJacketOC
just so y'all know, the tank i ordered from eric originally is the blue print for the contest tanks. the overflow does NOT handle a mj900. unless he makes the teeth wider you will need to use an mj600.

Serious? I sure did already pick up a 900 :(

I sent Eric a PM, maybe he can make the teeth wider

just so y'all know, the tank i ordered from eric originally is the blue print for the contest tanks. the overflow does NOT handle a mj900. unless he makes the teeth wider you will need to use an mj600.

The 900 has adjustable flow, right? Is it still too much?

I remember reading in the begin that the tank was built for a 900 but would need to be modified for a 1200.

Serious? I sure did already pick up a 900 :(

I sent Eric a PM, maybe he can make the teeth wider

Keep us posted on what he says...

JavaJacketOC

I talked to Ericm he said he's added more teeth and it should be more than enough for at least 900(like like 1200 will be fine as well) Here's a picture he said I could post.

IMG_4196.jpg

i thought the back was supposed to be black????

Thats the first thing I thought after seeing the picture. I'm sure thats just a test piece.

Hey guys i have to drop out of the contest i have no money at all and any bit i do make needs to be saved for college next year my mom says :( good luck to the rest of ya though!

ok guys before this gets out of hand lol, let me chime in :)

the picture posted is of an external overflow box i made for another tank :)..... I use the same design in my personal 30X30X16 and that overflow handles over 600GPH.... so im sure if i got with 3" worth of these teeth it will handle a maxi 900 no problem.

I am also trying to rectify the problem with the other buyer. I should have made more teeth so that it could handle the flow but my mistake, If you guys dont like the big teeth, i can try to make more slots with the smaller teeth, this will change things and should handle more flow. I will do some test on my own cube, to make sure more teeth will work, and if not then I will use the larger teeth.

Thanks, BTW material should be here by the end of the week.

scooternerd
Hey guys i have to drop out of the contest i have no money at all and any bit i do make needs to be saved for college next year my mom says :( good luck to the rest of ya though!

quitter :P jk

Probably a dumb question, Eric, but>>>> What is the point of the wall in the back chamber. It doesn't force the flow through any media area, and is small for a fuge. Could/ Should it be raised (so the water is forced to go under it, or moved over to give a bigger fuge area?

scooternerd
Probably a dumb question, Eric, but>>>> What is the point of the wall in the back chamber. It doesn't force the flow through any media area, and is small for a fuge. Could/ Should it be raised (so the water is forced to go under it, or moved over to give a bigger fuge area?

this is how the back of mine will look ;) without all the fingerprints lol

239065838_o.jpg

it is simply there for a fuge area, and thats about it... i can make adjustments to the one baffle if wanted....

keep in mind that i only ordered enough acrylic to give you guys 1 baffle each.

Thanks.

scoot that works great if you want to use some kind of floss, but the way i have mine is for a fuge :).... so both ways will work its just a matter of what one wants, fuge, or floss ;) good stuff though bro :)

scooternerd
it is simply there for a fuge area, and thats about it... i can make adjustments to the one baffle if wanted....

keep in mind that i only ordered enough acrylic to give you guys 1 baffle each.

Thanks.

tightwad :P..................................j/k bro they ordered the tanks as they where. you shouldn't be expected to

change the design now! any mechanical filtration on a tank this small is a mute point . if you don't change out the water regularly your screwed anyway.

oh and if i move over the baffle and lave just enough room for the pump you are def going to need an ATO so that you dont loose all the water before u get home from school, work, and what not.

Thanks.

scooternerd
Scoot, will look or does look?

doc that is a pico i built a while back. i am building my own tank for this contest.

i am not eligible for the prize just joining in on the fun. and yes the back of mine

will look similar to that pic. i plan to build it this week. starting tomorrow if i feel up to it.

build thread to come. don't sweat it though eric's stuff rocks!

I expect most of us to use one sort of ATO or another. I am entirely excited. i have been trying to design a media rack for this, but might end up scrapping the idea altogether.

scooternerd
I expect most of us to use one sort of ATO or another. I am entirely excited. i have been trying to design a media rack for this, but might end up scrapping the idea altogether.

nah com on now you should do at least one diy item. i think a little media rack would be cool

nah com on now you should do at least one diy item. i think a little media rack would be cool

I am planning on building a media rack for mine. I'll probably skip the ATO though and just top off manually.

Archived