SaltCritters.com

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we have a $100 light budjet? So that mean I cant use a eco-lamp? :angry:

I like to looks of that LED Light. Any other suggestions, other than LED DIY?

What about the live rock and sand cost where does that go?

So we have a $100 light budjet? So that mean I cant use a eco-lamp? :angry:

I believe in the gb link they removed the light budget. A great DYI LED would be tough to do for $100 and others are using a Viper MH. I say go for the Eco-Lamp, they look sick!

I am excited for this contest too... This is my first attempt at a contest and I don't really plan to win but I think it'll be a lot of fun! I have a Current Dual Satellite too and a Viper as well but for some reason I want to try an LED setup at well. Can u put a 70w bulb in a 150w JBJ Viper? A 150w may be overkill for this tank...

no kidding? closed loops are good to go, but HOB are not? How are you going to judge if I used too much pipe on my closed loop? How big can it be? I will push the limits. Honestly, I think it needs to be all or nothing. Either you can have water volume outside the 12" by 12" cube or you can not. If I can't run a HOB fuge, I will make one hell of an intricate closed loop, unless, of course, we decide not to allow closed loops.

simplenough

well the closed loop is meant for people to add flow not for volume and added filtration.. you can tell if you used too much pipe in the closed loop if instead of being like a reasonable and regular closed loop it is "one hell of an intricate closed loop" that obviuosly has no purpose other than to add volume...

simplenough

no shipping costs are not included, just the cost of the livestock.

As for the closed loop, i think most of us here can be reasonable and use closed loops in a fair way and intended for what they are meant to do (add flow, while making a cleaner looking set-up), but im all for democracy so if anyone else is against the use of closed loops and feels people might use these as an unfair advantage then feel free to voice your opinion.

-Nosser as for using a 70w bulb in a 150w JBJ Viper, im pretty sure you cant do that since the bulb will overheat and could possibly exlpode. I'm not 100% sure on this but i advise against it.

If I'm not mistaken this contest is suppose to be fun and fair. Also the reason to use a AIO tank is to show what you can to with nothing external to the tank.

I have a JBJ Picotope setup, but its plumbed to 1100 gallons of water. Is it a true Pico? I don't think so. I'm sure I could get things to survive in that tank that other couldn't in a tank that only has 3 gallons total with a HOB Filter.

I think if someone ads extra pipe to a closed loop to gain additional volume thats not really fair to everyone else. Or if we allow extra pipe or a sump then some want to use a 5 gallon sump and someone else want to use a 20. Then we turn it into do what ever you want to do. I'll end up with a 7 gallon tank with a 1100 gallon sump..

What if the rules stated nothing can hang over the outside of the tank except the light and power cords for pumps or anything thats internal to the tank. This way you could do a closed loop but it will have to be inside the back compartment. But this would rule out me using a ICA Chiller from Nano Customs.

Just my 2 cents

Shawn

patrick1234
If I'm not mistaken this contest is suppose to be fun and fair. Also the reason to use a AIO tank is to show what you can to with nothing external to the tank.

I have a JBJ Picotope setup, but its plumbed to 1100 gallons of water. Is it a true Pico? I don't think so. I'm sure I could get things to survive in that tank that other couldn't in a tank that only has 3 gallons total with a HOB Filter.

I think if someone ads extra pipe to a closed loop to gain additional volume thats not really fair to everyone else. Or if we allow extra pipe or a sump then some want to use a 5 gallon sump and someone else want to use a 20. Then we turn it into do what ever you want to do. I'll end up with a 7 gallon tank with a 1100 gallon sump..

What if the rules stated nothing can hang over the outside of the tank except the light and power cords for pumps or anything thats internal to the tank. This way you could do a closed loop but it will have to be inside the back compartment. But this would rule out me using a ICA Chiller from Nano Customs.

Just my 2 cents

Shawn

Dose a chiller not hold extra water?

simplenough

the main thing was for people to be fair and not add volume. A chiller, if necessary seems like it would be ok, because it's minimal volume, just like a small skimmer and closed loops. I think a closed loops should be fine since it is only a tiny bit of plumbing, and we are all adults here, we know what is fair and what isn't; there's no way that we can go to someone's house and check out their tank in person. If they are that intent on cheating that they have to use a ton of intricate plumbing, with no real purpose, to get an unfair extra gallon of volume then that is just sad. I hope we can all be adults about this and try and keep it about the fun of reefing not about who can win a 9 inch cube.

Edit: If, unfortunately, it is really necessary to put a limit on how much pipe you can use then we can do that, but im hoping we can be figure out that 10 feet of pipe are not needed for a cl on a 12" cube.

Dose a chiller not hold extra water?

Not the ice probe or the nano customs ICA. It looks like a bulkhead with an fan and heatsink on it.

l_iceprobe8.png

The tip comes in contact with the water and cools it. It doesn't pull water into it adding water.

This type of chiller would add something external to the tank, but not add water.

This is my planned setup.

Need to buy

Light 36 watt Eco-lamp LED Ordered tonight

Chiller Iceprobe with temp controller Ordered tonight

Shrimp Goby pistol shrimp pair (worried about tank size)

Already have

Skimmer Tunze Doc skimmer (In back compartment I hope it fits)

Return pump Maxi Jet 900

I just re read the rules. I cant drill the back of the tank to insert a Iceprobe chiller?

simplenough

You cant do it without drilling? i dont want people to alter the aquarium too much, since the point is that essentially, the structure, design, and look of the aquarium will be the same for everyone throughout the whole contest.

Also, just wondering, if you are using an LED lamp i think it is very likely that you would be ok without a chiller.

patrick1234

The fact is tho I some one puts on a chiller a big skimer a big ca reactor and some extra stuff then u can add more then just a few gal of water

simplenough

ok yea this is getting too complicated.

Any filtration you add has to be within the aquarium, as in within the back chambers. Nothing goes outside of the aquarium.

No chillers outside, no HOB skimmers, no closed loop that goes outside. There, that way no one can have an unfair advantage. I know this is limiting but it seems to be the only way to keep people away from the temptation of gaining an advantage.

You cant do it without drilling? i dont want people to alter the aquarium too much, since the point is that essentially, the structure, design, and look of the aquarium will be the same for everyone throughout the whole contest.

Also, just wondering, if you are using an LED lamp i think it is very likely that you would be ok without a chiller.

No Ac in the house my other tanks have gotten up to 86-88 during the summer.

No I don't have to drill the tank to use it. I can mount it in the top of the back chamber. Its just second nature to drill the back of a tank. Here i was going on about the closed loop blah blah blah and the whole time I'm wanting to modify the tank by drilling it.

Sorry

Shawn

No Ac in the house my other tanks have gotten up to 86-88 during the summer.

I don't mind if people use chillers etc., especially if it's because of conditions out of your control (like the heat at bob21115's place). The point of the contest seems to be about the overall look of a self contained tank, so if someone want to add a million feet of tubes coming out of it... well I dunno if that's going to be a winner ;) When voting time comes, we can ask people to vote with the spirit of the contest in mind. The people who go out of their way to keep everything in the tank will come out on top (hopefully).

JavaJacketOC

I don't think there should be a restriction on the chiller, it may be necessary by some people. But I agree that there shouldn't be any HOB stuff.

The chiller should be ok, some people keep their houses warmer than others, but the contest is a 12" AIO cube contest, this doesn't need to be more difficult than need be, use the area in the tank that makes this an AIO for your pump, filtration etc and that's it. This isn't the here's a cube add 400 million outside extra's contest. I plan to try and win but let's not get looney, it's not like this is for a million dollar prize, I'm doing it for the fun & challenge.

My only issue is the I'm going to use (Decision base on power use) a Ice Probe type chiller. This chiller is designed to be placed into a tank via a hole drilled into it. Ive seen them mounted to the top of a HOB filter with the probe pointing into one of the water chambers.

CRW_4488.jpg

I'm sure I can get it attached to the top of the back chamber in the same fashion as the picture above. But I would prefer to drill the 1 1/2" hole in the back chamber and insert the probe. This would look cleaner and not add any water volume to the tank.

patrick1234
My only issue is the I'm going to use (Decision base on power use) a Ice Probe type chiller. This chiller is designed to be placed into a tank via a hole drilled into it. Ive seen them mounted to the top of a HOB filter with the probe pointing into one of the water chambers.

CRW_4488.jpg

I'm sure I can get it attached to the top of the back chamber in the same fashion as the picture above. But I would prefer to drill the 1 1/2" hole in the back chamber and insert the probe. This would look cleaner and not add any water volume to the tank.

I am also all for chillers. But I think the ppl in this need to be able to vote on somthing that some one dose (IE adds a big chiller to just hold more water). If we all agree that it is done to add more water then they have to take it off or they get removed frome this contest maby after 2 times of pushing the rules the get removed.

The chiller should be ok, some people keep their houses warmer than others, but the contest is a 12" AIO cube contest, this doesn't need to be more difficult than need be, use the area in the tank that makes this an AIO for your pump, filtration etc and that's it. This isn't the here's a cube add 400 million outside extra's contest. I plan to try and win but let's not get looney, it's not like this is for a million dollar prize, I'm doing it for the fun & challenge.

+1

Keep it simple! you can add whatever you want after the contest ends.....

simplenough

ok wow, yea i was for the chiller too, but it seemed like people were looking for ways to get an unfair advantage. Ok i think were all reasonable enough to know what is being cheap and the people that vote will take into consideration the idea of the contest and hopefully not vote for someone that adds a bunch of tubing, or a huge skimmer in order to get more volume, or anything of that sort. If the cube looks nice, and like an AIO should then it will be more valued, and when voting time comes i'll make sure to restate the point of the contest so as too remind the voters of what the aim of the contest was.

(bob you can go ahead and drill for the chiller)

edit: im going to use harthag's explanation in the rules, since he summed it up well. (hope you dont mind)

ok wow, yea i was for the chiller too, but it seemed like people were looking for ways to get an unfair advantage. Ok i think were all reasonable enough to know what is being cheap and the people that vote will take into consideration the idea of the contest and hopefully not vote for someone that adds a bunch of tubing, or a huge skimmer in order to get more volume, or anything of that sort. If the cube looks nice, and like an AIO should then it will be more valued, and when voting time comes i'll make sure to restate the point of the contest so as too remind the voters of what the aim of the contest was.

(bob you can go ahead and drill for the chiller)

edit: im going to use harthag's explanation in the rules, since he summed it up well. (hope you dont mind)

:) use away

Archived