Coral Vue Hydros

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

My only issue is the I'm going to use (Decision base on power use) a Ice Probe type chiller. This chiller is designed to be placed into a tank via a hole drilled into it. Ive seen them mounted to the top of a HOB filter with the probe pointing into one of the water chambers.

I'm sure I can get it attached to the top of the back chamber in the same fashion as the picture above. But I would prefer to drill the 1 1/2" hole in the back chamber and insert the probe. This would look cleaner and not add any water volume to the tank.

I have no problems with you drilling for that. Seems to be in the spirit of the contest to me.

I'm not in it to win either - I will try, but I'm mostly up for the challenge. My task is to try and keep it simple and clean looking.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel the same, drilling for an iceprobe is no problem for me.

So how soon after the deadline will we receive our tanks? And sorry for the noob question but is lr and ls included in that $250 limit?

(bob you can go ahead and drill for the chiller)

Whoa whoo Thanks

I feel the same, drilling for an iceprobe is no problem for me.

So how soon after the deadline will we receive our tanks? And sorry for the noob question but is lr and ls included in that $250 limit?

In a PM erickrm said he should be able to start shipping 2 weeks from Friday. Please don't quote me on that but I almost certain that was the time frame.

yea erickrm said he should be shipping, latest, around august 14th.

LR and LS is not counted as livestock.

You can add me to the list, I'm in! Payment was sent to erickrm.

Nice, looks like people are starting to trickle in...

Hey Nosser! We're local B)

Whats your favorite LFS's?

are you going to come up with a final rules posting? I would like to start coming up with a game plan. Cant wait.

Thanks

Jayson

Hey Nosser! We're local B)

Whats your favorite LFS's?

oh nice!! I'm not really sure. I'm just kinda getting back in the hobby. Back in the days it was Strickly Fish in garden grove. I used to like Jeffs Exotic in Orange. I was just in Blue Ocean and they have some decent frags. What about you?

simplenough

today by 12 am west coast time (to be fair to the cali people). So, there's still time for you to join just PM erickrm for his paypal.

edit: I edited the rules to the best of my abilities, so the rules posted will be the final rules unless there is a major disagreement on something.

oh nice!! I'm not really sure. I'm just kinda getting back in the hobby. Back in the days it was Strickly Fish in garden grove. I used to like Jeffs Exotic in Orange. I was just in Blue Ocean and they have some decent frags. What about you?

Coral Oasis for cheap frags. Haven't shopped here in a while, since I got a small frag with what I thought to be macro algae but turned out to be some crazy caulerpa that invaded my whole tank.

OC Aquatic. Used to be some choice frags here, but haven't been there in a while.

Tongs was pretty cool to look around, not too fond of the pricing.

Not sure whats around these days, haven't bought anything in a while. I think I might just buy all the frags for this contest from other local reefers.

scooternerd

i am defiantly in. building my own. a word on chillers. if anyone want some cheap diy components shoot me a pm. i only have 5 and one is for me:) all at cost plus shipping. also if i spend less then 53.00 building my tank can i transfer the balance to livestock?

simplenough

Ok, it is officially past the deadline. Thanks and good luck to everyone who will be participating! :)

I will post when the official starting date will be as soon as erickrm is ready to ship out the aquariums.

simplenough

Alright it looks like we will have exactly 20 participants in total! Although the aquariums wont ship out for about another two weeks, you guys can feel free to start your own threads now and start posting anything that you are doing for your tank (i.e. stands, canopies, lighting, equipment), and you can also use it to get people's feedback. Just know that the actual aquarium will not be started (i.e. adding water, lr, ls, livestock) until the official start date is set and everyone takes a picture of their EMPTY aquarium with the "random" item inside it.. I will announce the official start date once erickrm ships out the cubes.

Good luck everyone!

scooternerd

OP i think it should be noted that the cubes are not true cubes. i have seen a few posts stating they are 12x12x12. in fact they are 12x12x9. that is the measurements i received from eric. ;)

Archived