ReefCleaners.org

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

CallMeDrLove
Simple you have way more faith in people then I do …

I truly hope your right and this doesn’t snowball at the end! ;)

Ya know, we are kind of on the honor system. There are plenty of ways to cheat if you wanted to. You could have a HOB or canister filter that you remove for pictures. You could say you got a deal on some livestock. But honestly it's not like we're playing for a million bucks. The prize is not really worth cheating for. So I suppose you have to have faith in people, there's no other way to do this.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO,

For the livestock if you get it from your own tank, find one of N-R sponsor that carries the same stock and take their price. This would be simple, it would promote our sponsors and it would be fair from everyone :)

I also think that the MJ that were almost free should be counted with the regular price, afterall it's not fair for everyone...

What do you think ?

My 2 cents

EDIT : Afterall I think that the contest is to show people that you can really succeed while having very basic and cheap equipment (and through DIY) so let's keep it real :D

IMHO,

For the livestock if you get it from your own tank, find one of N-R sponsor that carries the same stock and take their price. This would be simple, it would promote our sponsors and it would be fair from everyone :)

I also think that the MJ that were almost free should be counted with the regular price, afterall it's not fair for everyone...

What do you think ?

My 2 cents

EDIT : Afterall I think that the contest is to show people that you can really succeed while having very basic and cheap equipment (and through DIY) so let's keep it real :D

There is no limit on Hardware. You can spend as much on it as you want. So it doesn't matter if you spend $5 on a used MJ or the full price for a new one.

The only thing you have to keep track of is live stock. LR and LS doesn't count towards your livestock.

Hey Dr. Love have u been reading the posts on here?

People are already pushing the limits & lowballing frags!

I think Reefdreams has a good fair idea!

simplenough

Yea if someone is really intent on cheating then they will because they can; hopefully everyone is adult about this and realizes that we are doing this contest for the fun of reefing, to get experience and to set up an awesome nano. If you win the prize then that's a great addition to the experience but it's not the reason for the contest.

And bob is right, there is no limit on hardware, but i do hope that voters take into consideration what you did with what you had, but then again that's up to the voters.

CallMeDrLove
Hey Dr. Love have u been reading the posts on here?

People are already pushing the limits & lowballing frags!

I think Reefdreams has a good fair idea!

No, I haven't really been keeping up. Honestly I don't think I stand a chance to win, so it doesn't really matter to me. If someone wants to lowball it or whatever, that doesn't bother me. I would assume that people wouldn't vote for that person in the end. But who knows. Again, the prize is such that it doesn't really matter. Personally I wish I had another tank to get frags out of, but I don't so my limit is going to be waaaay below the $250 mark haha.

No, I haven't really been keeping up. Honestly I don't think I stand a chance to win, so it doesn't really matter to me. If someone wants to lowball it or whatever, that doesn't bother me. I would assume that people wouldn't vote for that person in the end. But who knows. Again, the prize is such that it doesn't really matter. Personally I wish I had another tank to get frags out of, but I don't so my limit is going to be waaaay below the $250 mark haha.

yeah I'm in the same boat.... I think taking prices off an N-R sponser is not a bad idea though

simplenough

That might be harder than it sounds though, because what if you get a cheap browned out or dying frag that you bring back. It obviously costs less when you bought it than after it colors up, and also a 1" frag isnt worth the same as a mini colony of the same stuff. How do you calculate the worth of that?

scooternerd

you must also consider region of the country! corals could cost less on the east coast versus the west.

southern states probably get a better deal then northern states etc.. example i can get just about any soft coral

frag 3-5 polyps for 5 bucks! but i have seen others pay 15+

and if we have to drag a mod into this then i am out! we should be able to have good clean contest without a "babysitter"

CallMeDrLove
you must also consider region of the country! corals could cost less on the east coast versus the west.

southern states probably get a better deal then northern states etc.. example i can get just about any soft coral

frag 3-5 polyps for 5 bucks! but i have seen others pay 15+

and if we have to drag a mod into this then i am out! we should be able to have good clean contest without a "babysitter"

Lol this is getting complicated haha. This would be a lot simpler if we had to buy new livestock instead of borrowing frags from a different tank and then having to estimate cost. Plus, anyone can buy online so regional differences won't matter as much. Unless your LFS has superb livestock, then you are getting what you pay for if it costs more.

scooternerd

i wont be buying any livestock for mine just transferring frags from my 40. i just don't want a bunch of ppl claiming cheater etc... all of my corals are bland anyway lol. but i know some of the other contestants will have awesome stuff that they transfer. and i am sure someone will complain about it

CallMeDrLove
i wont be buying any livestock for mine just transferring frags from my 40. i just don't want a bunch of ppl claiming cheater etc... all of my corals are bland anyway lol. but i know some of the other contestants will have awesome stuff that they transfer. and i am sure someone will complain about it

Hey I know this is preemptive, but I want to complain about scooternerd. He's cheating. Ya know, I wonder if there are any people out there that would spend like $1,000 to win this contest. Hopefully not.

simplenough
Should I just convert my livestock purchases into US funds since I am in Canada?

Yea that would be best, so that people don't get confused.

scooternerd
Hey I know this is preemptive, but I want to complain about scooternerd. He's cheating. Ya know, I wonder if there are any people out there that would spend like $1,000 to win this contest. Hopefully not.

i would not say in an effort to win. but i have seen a few spend 500+ already ;)

i would not say in an effort to win. but i have seen a few spend 500+ already ;)

Sucks for people like me, who has a tiny budget :P

It's all good though. I'm not too worried about winning. I'm just in it for the LuLz /b

simplenough

yea i dont have too much to spend either (still in highschool) but thats what makes it challenging, because then you have to do a lot of DIY, and be much more selective about the few things you do buy. But then again, if i had the money i wouldn't waste my time with DIY when i can get much nicer already built products, so you cant really bash on those who do.

I'm sitting at $487.00 So I'm sure you including me in that list?

I know my house. I know it gets really hot. I need a chiller. That’s $145. Sure I could put some fan next to the tank or on top of it and it would only cost $10. Currently all my tanks are plumbed together and my sumps are in the basement feeding all tank. I have a huge fan in the basement keeping my current tanks cool. So I know the power of a fan to cool a tank.

Also I could put a light on legs on top of the tank, but I don't like the look. Also currently I don't use Led’s on any other tank and wanted to try them. I like the look of the Eco-Lamp light That’s another $194.00.

My only other splurge is going to be a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite. This is for my whole system and will be removed from the 12" after the contest.

yea i dont have too much to spend either (still in highschool) but thats what makes it challenging, because then you have to do a lot of DIY, and be much more selective about the few things you do buy. But then again, if i had the money i wouldn't waste my time with DIY when i can get much nicer already built products, so you cant really bash on those who do.

Thank you. My thought exactly.

Also when I look at a tank I'm looking at the inside not the outside. I'm look at the Livestock, the health of the coral, the fish, and the cleanliness of the glass.

You can spend a million dollars on the hardware, but if you don’t know what your doing the inside will still look like crap.

simplenough
You can spend a million dollars on the hardware, but if you don’t know what your doing the inside will still look like crap.

Ditto.

scooternerd

dont know if you were refering to me or not. but i was not bashing any one. if i had the extra cash i would buy new stuff as well. but you can claim that low end stuff or diy stuff will work just as good etc... but when it comes right dowm to it . ppl will see the didderence and vote accordingly

simplenough
dont know if you were refering to me or not. but i was not bashing any one. if i had the extra cash i would buy new stuff as well. but you can claim that low end stuff or diy stuff will work just as good etc... but when it comes right dowm to it . ppl will see the didderence and vote accordingly

No, i wasn't referring to anyone, i was just saying that now i feel like i dont need all that expensive equipment, and i know there is a way around it, but when you have the money there is no reason not to get top of the line stuff; it makes life easier. But, i also do think voters will take into consideration how much you spend and what you do with what you spent.

scooternerd
No, i wasn't referring to anyone, i was just saying that now i feel like i dont need all that expensive equipment, and i know there is a way around it, but when you have the money there is no reason not to get top of the line stuff; it makes life easier. But, i also do think voters will take into consideration how much you spend and what you do with what you spent.

i agree 100% thats why i will be going as simple as possable diy everything. and hope i at least am not in last place lol.

just so y'all know, the tank i ordered from eric originally is the blue print for the contest tanks. the overflow does NOT handle a mj900. unless he makes the teeth wider you will need to use an mj600.

Archived