ReefCleaners.org

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

all i am saying is when i signed up there was a limit on livestock AND equipment. most of the contestants cant afford 500+ on a pico tank. this is just bs BECAUSE YOUY ARE BASICLY BUYING FIRST PLACE. enjoy your "prize" i am out of the contest as i have nothing to gain and have enough stuff going ion already.

i wish you all luck with second place :)

I tell you what if I win the 9" tank is yours.

I have to buy LR online...my LFS sells what looks to be base rock for $12.99 a pound. It's tough to get good LR in Tennessee.

Oh...and everybody lay off of bob haha. Give him a break. Hate the game, not tha playa.

Thank DR Love.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a ##### move, money isnt everything.. I know cats with 10k tied up in their tanks and their tanks are hella wack.

Exactly.

you have been very active in these discussions DR Love why don't you get back in the contest if you are gonna put forth the effort?

scooternerd
I tell you what if I win the 9" tank is yours.

Thank DR Love.

i am not elagable for thew "prize" anyway. and i am not bashing you or anyone else. i just think there should have been a limit on livestock and equipment. i was looking forward to a nice friendly contest where the judgeing would be close. not a blow out. it started as a simple contest where everyone was supposed to do stuff diy and not just "throw a ton of money at it"

CallMeDrLove
you have been very active in these discussions DR Love why don't you get back in the contest if you are gonna put forth the effort?

I'd love to be back in the contest. The problem is, I was not happy with the 12"x12"x9" dimensions of the tank. I thought it was 12"x12"x12" when I signed up, and that's the size tank I was going to start regardless of this contest. So when I found out the size was not what I expected, I decided it was best if I drop out. I didn't want to work hard on a tank that wasn't exactly what I wanted, for fear of being disappointed in the overall look of the tank in the end.

I am being active because I still think the contest has potential to be a lot of fun, and promote a lot of shared learning. I will be starting my tank right alongside you guys, I just won't be eligible for the prize, because I'm going with a 12"x12"x12" tank. To me it was not about winning a prize but rather a shared learning experience coupled with the possibility of recognition if my tank turns out to look nice. I don't have tons of money to put into it, but at the same time I am not resentful of anyone who does. I want to do the best with what I have. In the end you can't force anyone to DIY anything they don't want to, and you can't really restrict how much they spend on livestock. But that doesn't matter. People are missing the point by crying foul before the fun even begins. If this whole thing had started as a group buy for 12" cubes, with the goal of everyone documenting their progress, without the possibility of a prize, wouldn't you all have joined anyway? I mean, erickrm appears to do good work, and we all got a really good price for the tank. Isn't that enough?

If someone wants to go with limited edition SPS, high end lighting, chillers, heaters, auto top-off, and a solid gold stand, then by all means that's fine. And if you have to go with bland soft corals, a DIY metal halide, a walmart heater, manual top-off (i.e. a pitcher of water) and a clip on fan sitting on a coffee table, just do the best you can, enjoy the journey, and see what happens. Just build the tank as you would if you were not in a contest. If you don't win, then who cares...you weren't in a contest. If you happen to win, look at it like a bonus. Focus on learning how to design an attractive aquascape, getting the corals you can afford to thrive and multiply, keep your tank clean and your water clear. No one became an aquarist for the sake of winning fame and fortune. We all did it out of a desire to see wondrous creatures live in our house that most of us would never get to see in real life. We want to see a little slice of freedom, of open ocean, in our everyday lives. Or at least those of us in Tennessee, who don't live on the coast, want that.

But that's just my two pennies. Take it or leave it.

simplenough

yes you get your pick on baffles. That's the final decision. No more changing of the rules its too late for that, erickrm will start building anytime now. Like i said before livestock limit stays. You have $250 dollars to spend. As for the mediator i will ask a reputable member if they will be willing to help with the contest.

Simple please remove me from the contest. I still want my cube and will play by the $250 rule but this is seriously getting childish and pointless. Thanks.

So are you back in the contest?

I think we should bring up a stocking rule before we start. For the sake of the animals, sportsmanship and good husbandry, I think there should be a cut off date for adding new livestock. I think 3 months in is reasonable. It gives us time to cycle the tank, make any needed adjustments, and slowly add our livestock (not stressing the cube.) It also allows people to save for purchases and find good deals, while allowing enough time afterwards to see how the livestock does in the environment. 3 months to add, 3 months to proliferate and hopefully thrive. What do you all think???

JavaJacketOC

I doubt you're going to find many people that are going to wait 3 months to start stocking their tank

Edit: My bad I miss read it, i haz tired :(

I think the problem with that is you are under no contractual obligation to sell the coral. A contract requires an offer, consideration, and acceptance. The consideration means there has to be something substantive to the deal. For example, if I say "Would you like $10." that is an offer. Then you say "Yes." that is an acceptance. But there is no "trade" so to speak, or "consideration", and thus there is no contract. In this instance, there is no offer. Simply listing the value of the coral is not enough to constitute an offer, and thus cannot lock you into a contract for sale. And even if it were, it would be treated like a classified ad, first come first serve. Then if you didn't want to sell the coral, just say "sorry, someone else already got it." Neat idea Doc but it just doesn't work.

To create a new point, what about people moving LR from one tank to a new one? Aren't they going to get a huge (multi-week) head start on cycling due to the lack of die off? Couldn't someone theoretically just move all the rock and livestock from a nano they already have and have an awesome tank immediately?

I guess I believe in something called gentleman's honor. If we agree upon the rules first, we shouldn't have to call Judge Judy in later. Also, I did say that the first contestant that posts their willingness to buy is the one that gets said coral. We are all viewers. The person claiming value can not merely say that someone got it first, or their name shall be slandered shamelessly upon all aqua-related forums until the end of time as humans know it.

I doubt you're going to find many people that are going to wait 3 months to start stocking their tank

Let us re-read. Take the first 3 months to stock (as quickly or slowly as you want,) and the last 3 months to propagate and enjoy-show off.

CallMeDrLove
I guess I believe in something called gentleman's honor. If we agree upon the rules first, we shouldn't have to call Judge Judy in later. Also, I did say that the first contestant that posts their willingness to buy is the one that gets said coral. We are all viewers. The person claiming value can not merely say that someone got it first, or their name shall be slandered shamelessly upon all aqua-related forums until the end of time as humans know it.

If gentleman's honor were enough, then you wouldn't need your rule would you? Everyone would be trusted to make reasonable prices without being afraid of losing his or her stuff.

If gentleman's honor were enough, then you wouldn't need your rule would you? Everyone would be trusted to make reasonable prices without being afraid of losing his or her stuff.

Nope. Gentleman's Honor still requires rules. Straight forward, explicit, obvious rules. If a gentleman breaks one, he knows, feels shame, and is punished..... However the rule must be in place first.

You keep saying the rules are set no changing the tanks and as soon as some one comes up with somthing you go along with it. IE the drilling the hole for the chiller we ok it moving baffles adding baffles. We need to stick 10000000% to the way this first started out or let ppl do what ever they like with the tank. The fact is this is suppose to be fun and ALL THE SAME TANKS IF you add somthing or take somthing out well then we no longer have the same tanks.So once more plz stick to YOUR RULLES SIMPLE OR CHANGE THEM.

This contest is based around the idea that everyone starts with the same exact aquarium, same dimensions, material, false wall, etc. (most of which are being built by erickrm)

Sadly, I must admit I am glad to see you go. Less hassle on Simple and the rest of us. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

Damn I logged back and everything is bailing :o

Stay strong, and it may be just you and me until the end. We should be able to taste that sweet sweet taste of the chance of 9" cube goodness sustaining our bodies.

1337TANKHAX

WOW I didn't know I'd have to check up on all the drama on this thread every few days. It was a pretty simple concept right? I'll have my baffle up, I was going to modify it anyway (as was an option that was previously stated), but that makes it more convenient for me. Dam let the voters who understand the rules pick the winner. I love the fact that all these threatened little girls are leaving the contest because of the baffle option and livestock price limit. I'm a full time, self-dependent college student with a super budget, and I'm not worried about it at all. It's supposed to be a fun contest, stop making this into a capitalistic, power-struggle-whining-fest.

So are you back in the contest?

<--- Out. Too many whiners. Peace.

Sorry Simple, you had everything planned out well. This is just too messy at this point...

If you guys wanna follow along I'm still gonna stick to the rules for the most part although I may add on a HOB skimmer.

Archived