ReefCleaners.org

Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest

simplenough

JavaJacketOC

Let's not start this again please....

About the skimmer...I ordered the Aquatic but not sure if I'm going to use it yet. I think if I decided to stock with anything with will require consistent feeding the skimmer will make things easier. Just my opinion.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CallMeDrLove
the thing is drlove, you are one of the most active people in this thread and you backed out, but are still putting up a big effort to stay involved. you say you dont like the dims. of the tank but we all haven't even put are hands or eyes on one yet, i think you would be great for the competition, even though you are from east TN.

Oohhhh low blow :P Haha. In my defense I'm not originally from East TN, just go to school at UTK. Here's what happened on my end. I had been looking at custom 12" cubes for a couple weeks. We have a local guy who builds TONS of professional tanks for places all over the country, called Glass Cages. I have dealt with the guy before on a 65g acrylic tank, and he does great work. I was a smidgen away from buying a cube from him when I saw this contest. The stars aligned. It was a chance to get the exact tank I wanted, at a better price by a tiny bit (due to shipping) and the shot at a prize, plus the idea of everyone working together is very appealing to me. But then I realized that the dimensions of the tank weren't what I wanted. The idea of an actual cube is very important to me, and I don't want to diminish that just for the sake of a prize. So I did the next best thing. I'm taking myself out of the running for the prize. I have the exact same tank as everyone else except mine is 3" taller, holding about 1.5 gallons more. I am essentially pretending I am still in this thing. I am going to follow the same restrictions as everyone else, and am holding myself to the same schedule. That's why I am so active. I like the idea of a contest and I want to see it succeed.

Oohhhh low blow :P Haha. In my defense I'm not originally from East TN, just go to school at UTK. Here's what happened on my end. I had been looking at custom 12" cubes for a couple weeks. We have a local guy who builds TONS of professional tanks for places all over the country, called Glass Cages. I have dealt with the guy before on a 65g acrylic tank, and he does great work. I was a smidgen away from buying a cube from him when I saw this contest. The stars aligned. It was a chance to get the exact tank I wanted, at a better price by a tiny bit (due to shipping) and the shot at a prize, plus the idea of everyone working together is very appealing to me. But then I realized that the dimensions of the tank weren't what I wanted. The idea of an actual cube is very important to me, and I don't want to diminish that just for the sake of a prize. So I did the next best thing. I'm taking myself out of the running for the prize. I have the exact same tank as everyone else except mine is 3" taller, holding about 1.5 gallons more. I am essentially pretending I am still in this thing. I am going to follow the same restrictions as everyone else, and am holding myself to the same schedule. That's why I am so active. I like the idea of a contest and I want to see it succeed.

I used to live in Nashville so I am allowed to say that...haha

Oooh! I like me a lil' competition :P too late for me to enter Ha!

I <3 Tennessee...I was looking at some land over thurr not to long ago :ninja:

Damn, I wish my tank here would qualify for the contest. It's currently not up and running, but would be nice to re-start up fresh. it's dimensions though are "12x"12x"16, with a "12x"12x"12 display area and using "1/2 thick acrylic...

Anyways, good luck to the contestants in this! :)

CallMeDrLove
Oooh! I like me a lil' competition :P too late for me to enter Ha!

I <3 Tennessee...I was looking at some land over thurr not to long ago :ninja:

I'm originally from Springfield, TN. You might have heard of it Jay, it's about 30 miles north of Nashville. What area got2envy?

We were looking around Loudon :)

I still would like to move there eventually, but it is hard finding a job that is going to pay me the same since the cost of living is different.

CallMeDrLove
We were looking around Loudon :)

I still would like to move there eventually, but it is hard finding a job that is going to pay me the same since the cost of living is different.

Ft. Loudon Lake is beautiful, that's a really nice area of TN.

thelastlaugh9
Alright sounds good, looks like weve got 12 people so far. :happydance:

hey. I entered and ordered my tank on time. Don't see my name on the list

You said Glass Cages.HAHAHA I was ABOUT to let thembuild me a tank till I read there reviews and talked to them on the phone.I quickly passed.

CallMeDrLove
You said Glass Cages.HAHAHA I was ABOUT to let thembuild me a tank till I read there reviews and talked to them on the phone.I quickly passed.

You missed out. The guy is definitely a little rough around the edges, but he can build a nice tank for a fantastic price.

working right now.... its a whole lot of cutting so please bare with me... should have some pics tonight, if not then tomorrow you will start seeing completed tanks :)

Thanks.

working right now.... its a whole lot of cutting so please bare with me... should have some pics tonight, if not then tomorrow you will start seeing completed tanks :)

Thanks.

No rush, just anxious/curious!

ok i have the face, and 2 sides installed on 6 tanks so far.... i have other things to do tonight or i would be able to get more done. No worries though weekend is coming up and im going to work hard to get as many done as possible.... keep in mind my original timeline was when i thought the GB would only have a min of 5 tanks and maybe 7 or 8 max. I never anticipated 19 tanks!

Thank you all in advance for making this happen and i appreciate all your patients! Just a bit more wait and you guys can start your contest! :)....

stay tuned for the pics in a few minutes!

Here is the trimming process

IMG_4624.jpg

how they look after trimmed:

IMG_4626.jpg

first joint of the night!

IMG_4631.jpg

and where we stand tonight:

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

enjoy... tomorrow i should have atleast 1 tank completed.

Thanks.

eric you should get or build a plastics bender . makes it sooooo much easier bro. and faster. if you want some details on a diy bender shoot me a PM. obviously it wont do any good on these but in the future it could help you out.

eric you should get or build a plastics bender . makes it sooooo much easier bro. and faster. if you want some details on a diy bender shoot me a PM. obviously it wont do any good on these but in the future it could help you out.

Theirs a 21" one for sale on Michigan reefers for 100.00

nice price! and bender looks like it is sold already. it cost me about 20.00 to build mine. works great it just looks like hell. :lol:

Archived