Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr Love's 12 Incher

CallMeDrLove

CallMeDrLove

Equipment:

Tank: 12" Cube courtesy of erickrm

Lighting: 70 watt MH with 20k+ Ushio bulb courtesy of jfl14609

Filtration: 8lb piece of live rock, courtesy of Weetabix7; Chaeto and Mangroves in the fuge from reefcleaners.org.

Circulation: Hydor Pico Evolution 600

Cooling: Nothing yet, depends on how hot it gets

Top-Off Gravity fed DIY

Livestock:

Fish: Probably going fishless on this one...at least until I find that Wartskin Angler.

Invertebrates: I'd like a pom pom crab or a porcelain anemone crab. I'm not much of a shrimp person.

Corals: I've got a recovering Xenia as well as one polyp of a mystery zoa, and a mini anemone.

Clean-Up Crew: 100+ Dwarf Cerith Snails. $1.84

Macros: Shaving Brush $0.01 (value: $5.99)

Total: $7.83

FTS 09/19/09

0919091718.jpg

Close-Up 09/19/09

0919091721.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CallMeDrLove

So I just ordered a MJ 1200, courtesy of bob21115. I appreciate it man, one step closer to perfection haha!

CallMeDrLove

Just wanted to let everyone know that, unfortunately, I am out of the contest. I will be documenting my tank's progress still, in case anyone wants to keep up. Thanks!

CallMeDrLove
Wow! that was fast :unsure::o

Haha yea tell me about it. I wasn't happy with the dimensions of the tank we were supposed to use. And since this is going to be my only tank for a while, I decided that rather than remain in the contest with a tank I was unhappy with, I would rather withdraw and just start a different size tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a fantastic piece of live rock from Weetabix7 the other day. And got my 70 watt MH retro today. Here's a pic of the rock took from my phone. Kind of a crappy pic, but I don't have my camera. The rock looks awesome in person. It's got a little blue mushroom on it, as well as a mini anemone. Also has a couple stalks of xenia that aren't looking so hot, but hopefully they'll perk up.

0902091957.jpg

looks great bro!! hopefully i can get your tank in a box and on its way with fedex by friday ;)....

what kind of bulb is on the 70w? I like the color.... very crisp white with no real hint of yellow good stuff man.

looks great bro!! hopefully i can get your tank in a box and on its way with fedex by friday ;)....

what kind of bulb is on the 70w? I like the color.... very crisp white with no real hint of yellow good stuff man.

It's a Ushio 20k. That pic was taken shortly after the light was turned on. Here's one after it's been on a while, it's a little bluer but still looks nice. And I will be so happy when the tank gets here. But like I said before, no rush on it. Take your time, no worries.

downsized_0902092351.jpg

So I woke up today and noticed something new on this rock. Not sure what it is. Looks the shape of a zoa, but then again lots of things have that shape. Any ID help would be appreciated.

OrangeZoa-1.jpg

Holy Cow, yep that's a Zoa.

Might even be an Armageddon.

Congrats!

At one point there were some Brown Zoas w/really green centers on there.

Also had a small bit of Orange Cap encrusting on one spot, but I suspect that's gone.

So I'm trying to decide if I should use a skimmer or not. And if I do use a skimmer, I don't know whether to do with the higher quality Tunze DOC 9002, or the less expensive Aquatic Life Mini. Anyone wanna chime in, be my guest. Also, I'm trying to decide between a frag pack of zoas from Mr Coral, or a zoa frag pack from Your Reef. Anyone got a preference to suggest?

So I'm trying to decide if I should use a skimmer or not. And if I do use a skimmer, I don't know whether to do with the higher quality Tunze DOC 9002, or the less expensive Aquatic Life Mini. Anyone wanna chime in, be my guest. Also, I'm trying to decide between a frag pack of zoas from Mr Coral, or a zoa frag pack from Your Reef. Anyone got a preference to suggest?

I would do the tunze :D I'm totally not impressed with my AquaticLife 115. The bubbles aren't fine enough to make a lasting froth. I had maybe 2 good days of skimming out of it and every since it's sat there bubbling and making no skimmate despite adjusting it several times. Adjusted it too high once and it was fine all day and sometime during the night it decided to start flooding the cup and put all the skimmate back into the system, whata PITA.

Not to mention even after broken in it still makes tons of microbubbles in the display, my xenia hate it.

Yea I am leaning towards the 9002 if I get a skimmer...figure for an extra $75 I may as well do it right. But I guess my major question is whether or not I need a skimmer for a fishless tank that I plan on doing a 50% weekly water change on. I just don't know right now.

You don't NEED a skimmer for that size tank. 50% water change per week is too much that would shock the livestock more than anything. I would say 10-25% would be fine to change per week, not to mention it's easier on you and costs less :)

Do mini anemones move around like their full size counterparts? Just got up today and noticed that mine has disappeared. Hopefully he/she/it turns up eventually.

Archived