SaltCritters.com

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Playapixie

Hi! Just finishing my aquascape in my Solana right now. But I have a question: how high should the rock go? Right now the highest piece is about level with the return pump nozzle (where it exits the tank back). I have one more piece that I think will look cool up higher, but wondering if that'll be too high for any corals? I do have lots of other lower spots for stuff.

I'll start my own thread later today, with pictures...!

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi! Just finishing my aquascape in my Solana right now. But I have a question: how high should the rock go? Right now the highest piece is about level with the return pump nozzle (where it exits the tank back). I have one more piece that I think will look cool up higher, but wondering if that'll be too high for any corals? I do have lots of other lower spots for stuff.

I'll start my own thread later today, with pictures...!

Thanks,

Dawn

Hey Dawn - not sure there's a "right" answer to that one. My main scape-rock piece comes up about that high, & I have a huge hammer coral up top with plenty of room to spare.

Playapixie

Whew, my first saltwater tank is finally up and running, and here's my build thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=271112

I'm afraid I got carried away with the epoxy putty (I want a shrimp-goby pair, and understand that the shrimp can dig and topple rock work, so I made it solid!) Unfortunately, I didn't know about purple reef epoxy until too late. How can I disguise this?

Love any suggestions and comments over on my build page.

And thanks to Gort for answering my earlier question. :-)

~Dawn

d'Espresso

just added new people.. show some love by visiting their page plz. Welcome Playapixie and fiction101 and jcieutat on the Solana Club :)

mkizz- did you ever got your tank fixed?

just added new people.. show some love by visiting their page plz. Welcome Playapixie and fiction101 and jcieutat on the Solana Club :)

mkizz- did you ever got your tank fixed?

Thanks for adding me!

I went ahead and cut out the center of the stock glass lid...i like it better then my old acrylic version...check it out...my midas blenny went tile diving the other day...RIP....

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

d'Espresso

Wow you're a genius! Never thought of doing that to the glass. Did it cost alot to get it made like that?

That fish safety look very slick an clean! Awesome build bro!

Wow you're a genius! Never thought of doing that to the glass. Did it cost alot to get it made like that?

That fish safety look very slick an clean! Awesome build bro!

thanx, took it to a local glass place $20 to get it cut...its the stock lid dat came with the tank....i can finally sleep at night now...lol...

thanx, took it to a local glass place $20 to get it cut...its the stock lid dat came with the tank....i can finally sleep at night now...lol...

Excellent idea B) I've been wondering how to go topless plus keep jumpers in without resorting to a net. I'm gonna print out that pic and take it to a glass place for a quote. I'll need side slots for the legs that support my lighting fixture but that should be doable..

Excellent idea B) I've been wondering how to go topless plus keep jumpers in without resorting to a net. I'm gonna print out that pic and take it to a glass place for a quote. I'll need side slots for the legs that support my lighting fixture but that should be doable..

welcome man...if you use the stock glass the cut was 3 1/2 " from front,left, and right of glass and 6 1/2" from back scope...and no the glass is not tempered obviously but delicate...

welcome man...if you use the stock glass the cut was 3 1/2 " from front,left, and right of glass and 6 1/2" from back scope...and no the glass is not tempered obviously but delicate...

Thanx for the dimensionals - now I gotta see if I can find those crazy glass support brackets I took off a few months ago ..

Thanx for the dimensionals - now I gotta see if I can find those crazy glass support brackets I took off a few months ago ..

yeah, i lost mine also but i contacted current usa and they sent me a new set within a week...they have great customer service...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man went to two different glass places with my lid and both refused to cut it? Any idea how they did it? Drill 4 corners then cut or???? Thanks alot and genius idea!

Edited by nova65ss
Hey man went to two different glass places with my lid and both refused to cut it? Any idea how they did it? Drill 4 corners then cut or???? Thanks alot and genius idea!

Thanx, yes they drilled 4 corners then cut...they probably think the glass is tempered so they didn't want to cut it....i got 2 lids cut...

Thanx, yes they drilled 4 corners then cut...they probably think the glass is tempered so they didn't want to cut it....i got 2 lids cut...

Yeah that is what they said but I told them it wasn't and both said no way not doin it. Oh well gotta find someone else I guess. Thanks,

Yeah that is what they said but I told them it wasn't and both said no way not doin it. Oh well gotta find someone else I guess. Thanks,

just let them know if it breaks you wont hold them responsible that should take the stress off or show them mine so they can see it can be done...good luck either way...

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know if the glass top that comes with the Wood frame kit for the Solana, would be tempered? I would assume maybe that since its made by Current, that it would NOT be?

Playapixie
Do you know if the glass top that comes with the Wood frame kit for the Solana, would be tempered? I would assume maybe that since its made by Current, that it would NOT be?

I broke mine washing it--it is not tempered. Been meaning to order a replacement...

Dawn

lpsouth1978

Here is a quick video of my spotted mandarin eating frozen Mysis from a turkey baster. He has been in my solana for almost 6 months now.

th_IMG_0313.jpg

Here is a quick video of my spotted mandarin eating frozen Mysis from a turkey baster. He has been in my solana for almost 6 months now.

th_IMG_0313.jpg

Great pic....I do the exact same thing with mine going on 10 months

• 4 weeks later...
lpsouth1978

My 400 watt halide basically blew up on me the other day. I am currently borrowing a 250 watt halide from a LFS, but need to replace my light. I have decided to do a DIY LED build for the Solana. I have done a couple of smaller builds before and have had GREAT success.

I just want to know what others have done with LED's over solanas. What LED's did you use, how many, what colors, suggestions are welcome.

Here is what I was thinking: (keep in mind that I am the King of overkill)

12 - 19000 - 21000k Cold White 3W LED's

12 - 9000 - 12000k Cool White 3W LED's

24 - Royal Blue 3W LED's

6 - Blue 3W LED's

3 - Red 3W LED's

3 - UV Purple 3W LED's

total = 60 3W LED's

Also 4 - Royal Blue moonlight LED's

I was planning on 60 degree optics on everything except the Red, UV, and moonlights. I would have liked to do 80 degree, but 60 is the widest angle available for these LED's. All LED's will be run using 700mA dimmable drivers. I plan to have a total of 11 strings of 6 LED's consisting of 4 white strings, 4 RB strings, 1 blue string, 1 Red and UV string, and 1 moonlight string.

I know that this is a lot of LED's for a 34 gallon tank, but I like to be able to completely customize the color, by turning different strings down, and I am thinking about upgrading to a 90g corner tank and want to build the light so that it will work for that too. Let me know what you think.