SaltCritters.com

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

NanoPoseidon

I got one for ya...

I have been in the process of starting a new Solana with research and recently started procuring items for the build.... Got a used tank and stand in great shape and got it all cleaned up... started ordering items and was excited when things started coming in!

Low and behold I open the package I got from BRS containing my new RKL and 4 stage RO/DI Plus unit in anticipation of getting some water started! Sadly I notice the RO/DI unit was damaged in transit... ARGH... What a let down eh?

GrandeGixxer

I am already ready to upgrade and go bigger. I want to do either a 50 cube or a 60 cube with a sump. I miss having a sump and being able to hide everything. I do love my Solana though!

I'm kind of surprised these tanks dropped in popularity so much over the last two years. IMO they're much better than the bio/nano cube tanks and those have been going strong.

Next week I'm going to be picking up my Solana (finally). I'm excited to get a tank going again. Right now I've got a simple 20 gallon which is holding my live rock, a few corals, and a fire shrimp, but the tank is in my basement.

Anyway, what is everyone stocking their solanas with? I'm really having trouble figuring out what fish I'm going to choose.

I think the solana is the best aio out. too bad they stopped making it. i like mine but im going to change it out for a 60cube with a sump.

I agree. And actually, I'm going in the exact opposite direction. I had a 60 cube and I'm going to the Solana.

I'm kind of surprised these tanks dropped in popularity so much over the last two years. IMO they're much better than the bio/nano cube tanks and those have been going strong.

Next week I'm going to be picking up my Solana (finally). I'm excited to get a tank going again. Right now I've got a simple 20 gallon which is holding my live rock, a few corals, and a fire shrimp, but the tank is in my basement.

Anyway, what is everyone stocking their solanas with? I'm really having trouble figuring out what fish I'm going to choose.

Thats sweet. Ill be looking forward to hearing more about your solana. Rigjt now i have a pacific candy basslet, purple firefish, purple dottyback, banggai Cardinal Fish, and a coral beauty but hes about to get evicted for not playing well with others. I also stocked my tank with 30a different corals ranging from mushrooms to BNs. I think these tanks are amazing!

I just bought an AI Sol and I'm curious on the difference positions. Is there any real difference between parallel or perpendicular mounting? I felt like the coverage was about the same. What are most people doing?

Thats sweet. Ill be looking forward to hearing more about your solana. Rigjt now i have a pacific candy basslet, purple firefish, purple dottyback, banggai Cardinal Fish, and a coral beauty but hes about to get evicted for not playing well with others. I also stocked my tank with 30a different corals ranging from mushrooms to BNs. I think these tanks are amazing!
Thanks. Once I get some progress and pictures ill post them on my build thread. That's a great fish list you have, especially the candy basslet. I was thinking about doing a pair of something.. Like Kauderns cardinals or cherub angels, but I might just stick with a few small, active fish.

I just bought an AI Sol and I'm curious on the difference positions. Is there any real difference between parallel or perpendicular mounting? I felt like the coverage was about the same. What are most people doing?
I don't think it matters too much, but parallel would probably work better. It really depends on your 'scape.

Any shots of the wood kit for the canopy?I would love to see some good pics of it with the 34.
There should be a few of these pics in this thread. If not here, check out the Solana club thread on RC.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered the JNS WS-1. Hopefully it will come in a week or two (apparently they just landed in LA).

There aren't too many new, high quality skimmers that can be used on this tank.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
RiddleEagle18

Has anyone successfully pulled out the black overflow sleeve in section 1? I need some more room for a bigger skimmer but im worried that it may cause a waterfall noise if I remove it.

I ordered the JNS WS-1. Hopefully it will come in a week or two (apparently they just landed in LA). There aren't too many new, high quality skimmers that can be used on this tank.

I just posted my last post because I want to order this. You have to pull out the overflow to get it to work right? Let us know if it work out well please!

I'm going to put the skimmer in the middle section. Modifying the overflow setup isn't really something I want to do. I'd imagine the sound coming from the water dropping a few inches without the sponge filter there would be quite loud.

The skimmer should arrive tomorrow (finally). I'm excited to set the skimmer up.

Has anyone removed the plastic overflow part in the first chamber of the sump? The part that holds the foam. My new JNS WS-1 doesn't fit in the second chamber but it will fit in the first if I remove that plastic.

Has anyone successfully pulled out the black overflow sleeve in section 1? I need some more room for a bigger skimmer but im worried that it may cause a waterfall noise if I remove it.

I just posted my last post because I want to order this. You have to pull out the overflow to get it to work right? Let us know if it work out well please!

Riddle, did you find anyone that had done this?

RiddleEagle18

There is one guy on RC but he hasnt logged in in over a week. He put that same skimmer in section one and removed the overflow. Im hoping he logs on soon and sees my message. Search RC for member plyle02. He has a few write ups on it but never discusses noise of removing the overflow, unless I missed it.

• 1 month later...