d'Espresso

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

MTWiley

Just got the okay from the wifey to order a Solana XL 67 on Black Friday, can't wait for it to get here.

HVani

Does a 25 gallon ecoxotic tank count? :D I'll be setting one up soon!

OneTimer

Need your expertise on a Skimmer for my Solana- Seems the Tunze 9002 is very popular also looking into the Deltec 300 and the Aquamaxx

Any and all suggestion appreciated

Edited by OneTimer

nova65ss

not a fan of the tunze but that is just me...

I was in the lfs store the other day and they were telling me the Solona is no longer being made only the cardiff or whatever with the curved front...

Mirya

Back on post 1167 a link was posted to a video to mod the Tunze 9002 skimmer. Sounds like people that did the mod were really pleased with it. Unfortunately, that video has been taken down. Anyone able to reproduce the directions for me? I just got my Tunze today to install into my Cardiff.

Thanks!

EDIT: I found a working video of the mod on Vimeo. :happydance:

Edited by Mirya

MTH
Need your expertise on a Skimmer for my Solana- Seems the Tunze 9002 is very popular also looking into the Deltec 300 and the Aquamaxx

Any and all suggestion appreciated

I would recommend the Deltec MCE300. I have both the 300 and 600 on two different tanks. The 300 pulls tons of gunk and is probably the best in the MCE line.

Zuzu
I would recommend the Deltec MCE300. I have both the 300 and 600 on two different tanks. The 300 pulls tons of gunk and is probably the best in the MCE line.

I have the Tunze 9002 with the InTank cup. I pulled off the original magnet and reglued as directed by the mod instructions. I have had major problems getting and keeping it adjusted correctly--either it makes almost no skimmate or it makes so much the cup fills up in a few hours. I make the tiny adjustments as directed in the instructions, but its effectiveness varies widely depending on variables that I cannot fathom. I do think that it takes out the gunk, but the constant fiddling with the control valve and adjusting the level it sits at in the water is a pain. I got it because I thought that it would be quieter than the stock skimmer and it is usually. Outside of the noise issue, I don't think that this skimmer has been much of an improvement in my hands.

Playapixie

Bubble Tip Anemones, anyone have them in your Solana? I really want one and have been researching like mad. I feel up for keeping one, and my tank is stable, but I have a mixed reef with a lot of nice corals and am worried about a BTA moving around and hurting things, or getting too big. Love to hear your experiences!

pweissma

I have a too-large RBTA in my Solana. It's basically an RBTA tank with some other stuff. It's bigger now than in the pictures. My clowns breed on a rock under it every few weeks. It retracts into the corner every night and extends like you see it during the day. When it extends it covers some rocks that would otherwise be great places for corals. I had to move a bunch of stuff including that white leather but the only thing it killed was a single candy cane head. I moved the rest. It moved around a bit for the first couple months but has been set in the corner for over a year. Net, because of the very dominant RBTA it's a pretty unique tank and I like it.

post-48803-1324053057_thumb.jpg

post-48803-1324053068_thumb.jpg

Playapixie

Thanks for the reply! Awesome anemone :-)

This leans me more towards the no camp for my tank, though, as I really don't have room for a nem that big in my tank, given the corals that are there already. Sigh.

I have a too-large RBTA in my Solana. It's basically an RBTA tank with some other stuff. It's bigger now than in the pictures. My clowns breed on a rock under it every few weeks. It retracts into the corner every night and extends like you see it during the day. When it extends it covers some rocks that would otherwise be great places for corals. I had to move a bunch of stuff including that white leather but the only thing it killed was a single candy cane head. I moved the rest. It moved around a bit for the first couple months but has been set in the corner for over a year. Net, because of the very dominant RBTA it's a pretty unique tank and I like it.

DAHNIC561

THIS IS MY FAVORITE THREAD!!!!

jcieutat

I used to hate my Tunze 9002 until I did the modification and now it works awesome. You have to disconnect the tube running to the blue dial on the top of the skimmer. You then get a longer tube and run it out of the bottom of the skimmer out of the tank. You attach an air regulator ( I guess that is the right word ) like the one that comes with any powerhead and leave it out in the air. This enables you to adjust the airflow 100% better than the way Tunze has it designed. I hope this helps. The next time I clean mine I will take a few photos and post them.

do_0b
I used to hate my Tunze 9002 until I did the modification and now it works awesome. You have to disconnect the tube running to the blue dial on the top of the skimmer. You then get a longer tube and run it out of the bottom of the skimmer out of the tank. You attach an air regulator ( I guess that is the right word ) like the one that comes with any powerhead and leave it out in the air. This enables you to adjust the airflow 100% better than the way Tunze has it designed. I hope this helps. The next time I clean mine I will take a few photos and post them.

please do! :D

DAHNIC561

Crazy...lol...

pyrrhusmj

Crazy...lol...

I had a Niger Trigger back in the 90's that I had for 8 years so he was at least that old (he died due to a heater malfunction cooking the aquarium) that became so friendly and used to me he would do the same thing. I was a little leery he might bite the first time he "came" to me, but he never did.

pyrrhusmj

Hey everyone.

Has anyone tried mounting a different light using the disco ball light tree? I jus bought an AI Sol and am trying to figure out the best (read that as easiest) way to mount the AI without having to drain the aquarium and mov it out from the wall. It seems as though the disco ball weighs about the same same as the AI, the arm should be strong enough so I just need to figure out the best way to actually mount the AI. Any ideas?

Michael

SfdPiggy

Does anyone know where I can get the Solana XL 60G from? Any websites?

leicalux

looking for the 34g starphire one, if anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know. I am in Bay area, CA. Thanks.

rsdazo

Ordered the in-tank media basket for the rear chamber. I still want to grow chaeto. Does anyone have any suggestions,input, or experience? I read to use the middle rack of the media chamber. Or should i go with chemical filtration of chemipure, purigen and filter floss

Edited by rsdazo

Jai1985

I would go with the Cheato, I have used it in my tanks previously, and basically you stick it in there and trim it up when it starts getting out of control. ( and it WILL get out of control :) ) just give it some light and dont mess with it to knock the detritus out of it and you should have a worry free, almost maintenance free, PO4 filter

MedRed
Does anyone know where I can get the Solana XL 60G from? Any websites?

I think it has been discontinued. Try calling Current and see if they can give you any info.

Might as well update my tank:

35bftl3.jpg

Edited by MedRed

shaneandjohn

MedRed. Your tank is Stunning......Tank of the Month worthy

:bowdown:

Edited by shaneandjohn

MedRed

Thanks shaneandjohn! I still have a ways to go yet IMO.

HVani

What? The XL 60 is discontinued? What is it with Current and discontinuing all these great tanks?

Anyway here is my Ecoxotic 25g Cube (made by Current USA)

marchfull.jpg

rsdazo

Thanks for the info on the intank media.. went with a combo approach. Purigen on top. Chaeto in the middle and chemi pure elite on the bottom. Ill try this out for the time being. Only thing that worries me is that my water level in my return chamber looks really low, is that normal?