inTank Media Baskets

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

What? The XL 60 is discontinued? What is it with Current and discontinuing all these great tanks?

Anyway here is my Ecoxotic 25g Cube (made by Current USA)

marchfull.jpg

looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

I joined the Solana club today. My LFS bought a bunch of Current USA tanks on close-out - a couple dozen Cardiffs and one 34G Solana AIO. The deal he offered me on the Solana tank and stand was equivalent to or better than used prices I see on CL, so I bought them both.

This is a consolidation project. I've got a mix of corals, a false percula, a fire fish, and yellow watchman goby spread between a BC14 with stock lights and a NC12 with a 70w MH Viper clamp-on light. I'll cycle the Solana and slowly move the livestock and coral from these tanks into the Solana. We've been fighting bristle worms in the NC12, so we're starting clean with respect to rock and sand. We'll take our time cycling.

In terms of equipment, I plan to use LEDs on the Solana. I've got my CFO - that is, my redheaded wife - sold on the AI Nano or Sol, but I'm trying to up-sell her to a Radion. We already have a MP10w on the BC14 that we'll move over. We're investigating skimmer upgrades and the possibility of using the middle chamber as a refugium.

I'll start a build thread once we get started.

Sam

In terms of equipment, I plan to use LEDs on the Solana. I've got my CFO - that is, my redheaded wife - sold on the AI Nano or Sol, but I'm trying to up-sell her to a Radion. We already have a MP10w on the BC14 that we'll move over. We're investigating skimmer upgrades and the possibility of using the middle chamber as a refugium.

Sam

Hi Sam. Welcome! Not to spend more of your money, but do sell her on the Radion. I don't believe a nano light will give you enough spread. I started out with the Sunbrite Slimline S LED, and the spread wasn't nearly adequate to cover all 20"X20". Upgraded to the Radion, which lights the whole tank quite well, and my corals started growing like mad under it. I still have it programmed to only about 70% at max. Excellent light choice :-)

Hi Sam. Welcome! Not to spend more of your money, but do sell her on the Radion.

We're almost "there". It's more her tank than mine; my role is to 1) pay for it, 2) set it up, and 3) maintain it. ;) We're having a little trouble getting our head around how we are going to mount the light. We'd rather not have a hood, I don't really like hanging arms, and she's hesitant to hang from the ceiling. I suspect we'll have hanging arms eventually since I don't have to tear into the ceiling and it'll give us more freedom on where and how to position the tank.

Sam

Edited by smchan
Upgraded to the Radion, which lights the whole tank quite well, and my corals started growing like mad under it. I still have it programmed to only about 70% at max. Excellent light choice

I ordered a Radion and hanging kit this morning. Still haven't decided whether to hang from the ceiling or use hanging arms; will figure that out when the light comes.

Sam

• 1 month later...
buddythelion

Thinking of upgrading my nanocube and these look perfect! Anyone know where you can still get them? Or do I have to browse through the local sell threads (Craigslist).

Thinking of upgrading my nanocube and these look perfect! Anyone know where you can still get them? Or do I have to browse through the local sell threads (Craigslist).

They are discontinued from Current USA - their new Solana is no longer an AIO >> the same cube w/o the integrated filtration system. I just sold mine - Craigslist is an option plus you see them posted in the classifieds here and other forums. Local used or internet retailer that won't charge a fortune to ship is your best bet. Have you considered other AIO systems?

Below are a couple slim chances for the Solana system

http://allmypetsupplies.com/p-1297-solana-...ium-system.aspx

http://globalaquaria.com/currentusasolanaa...ariumstand.aspx

Edited by Gort
buddythelion
They are discontinued from Current USA - their new Solana is no longer an AIO >> the same cube w/o the integrated filtration system. I just sold mine - Craigslist is an option plus you see them posted in the classifieds here and other forums. Local used or internet retailer that won't charge a fortune to ship is your best bet. Have you considered other AIO systems?

Below are a couple slim chances for the Solana system

http://allmypetsupplies.com/p-1297-solana-...ium-system.aspx

http://globalaquaria.com/currentusasolanaa...ariumstand.aspx

Saw those while googling, but it all looks too shady. I want an aio form picoaquarium, but he's pretty bust as of right now.

Anyone else can chime in?

• 2 months later...
The River Reef

I recently setup a Solana... Here is some info...

I am going to post my progression in regards to starting my first Seahorse tank. Here is some basic equipment specs:

Solana AIO 34g

JBJ 1/10 Chiller

Ehiem 3000 Compact return

150W Heater

Ecoxotic Panorama Stock Light

Stunner Strips (1-UV, 2-Blue) Additional light

Tunze 9002 w/ Intank cup upgrade

Intank Media Basket (Foam-top, Chemipure Elie-mid, Fuge-Bottom)

I have around 35lbs of live rock, fine sand, and tried to build natural hitches with dead tonga branch style pieces of rock. Currently there is a CUC and yellow watchman goby pair that was moved over from my last tank. I have a bunch of coral frags and will post info when I fully decide which to mount permanently.

My plan for stock:

Pair of horses (Barbouri, or similar species)

Bangai Cardinal

Yeloow Goby pistol pair

Pipefish (species?, pair?)

Mandarin ?

I have the stunner strips installed and some corals mounted ATM....

FTS

post-76076-1345217587_thumb.jpg

Lights

post-76076-1345217987_thumb.jpg

Filter - Tunze>Intank Media>return feeding chiller

post-76076-1345217617_thumb.jpg

Purple, Red, Blue hornets on rock

post-76076-1345217627_thumb.jpg

Tyree Toadstools X2

post-76076-1345217641_thumb.jpg

Xmen

post-76076-1345217959_thumb.jpg

Chalices = Tyree Miami Hurricane - Tyree Original Mummy Eye

post-76076-1345218145_thumb.jpg

The River Reef

I have what I think is the model before the pro modules... But iam not sure... What I do know is it was extremely white spectrum. That is why I added stunner strips 1-uv, 2-blue to get more blue. But no I really like the setup.

I have what I think is the model before the pro modules... But iam not sure... What I do know is it was extremely white spectrum. That is why I added stunner strips 1-uv, 2-blue to get more blue. But no I really like the setup.

Oh and it is mounted to the tank stand... Sorry for lack of info but I bought the system used as a package deal

Oh and it is mounted to the tank stand... Sorry for lack of info but I bought the system used as a package deal

Thanks for the info. Yea, I got the impression that the stock setup is rather white. I think m going to pull the trigger on the fixture and just add two 453nm panorama modules.

I'm in now too :D and really glad that I am. Specs below and build thread linked in sig.

34G AiO - Starfire 3 Sides.

Flow: Stock return pump, MP-10

Light: JBJ 54 Watt Unibody

Controller: RKL

ATO: Tunze Osmolator

Skimmer: Sapphire Aquatics

Rock: Reef Cleaners Dry Rock.

Dosing: Running Seachem SeaGel (carbon/phosguard mix), filter floss and Seachem 2 Part.

Who is running biopellets or any other similar media from reactors on their 25/34g AiOs? Pics or recommendation on how I should fit these into my rear chamber!?

The River Reef

I should add that the mount is very adjustable and stable. Very happy with the mount.

Here's a more recent shot of my Ecoxotic cube

728.png

I'm using 4 panorama pros on this tank, 2 12k/blue and 2 magenta/blue. The color is awesome but my SPS don't have great color. All of my other corals have done very well under these lights.

• 2 weeks later...
The River Reef

I have had my Tunze 9002 running for around 3 weeks. Although I have low bio load, I can't get any skim besides what sticks on the neck. If I try and adjust then I get clear water in the cup. I did the airline mod 2 weeks ago and it def helped adjusting but still no skim...

Stock - Yellow Goby, Mandarin, Zoas (total = 30+ polyps), toadstool, 2 chalices, porities frag, dendro (1 head), CUC

I spot feed daily and feel I should have some skim...

Am I doing something wrong or do I have no skim to collect?

Tunze Is garbage I recently got a nanoreef systems skimmer that is fantastic couldn't be happier. I got a tunze that fell apart before I pulled it out of the box.

Tunze Is garbage I recently got a nanoreef systems skimmer that is fantastic couldn't be happier. I got a tunze that fell apart before I pulled it out of the box.

You just sound crazy right now...Tunze stands behind their product wait till that Impeller breaks down on your Nano-Reef skimmer and you have to deal with the little french guy $25 plus shipping every 6 months...Good Luck...

image-1.png

You just sound crazy right now...Tunze stands behind their product wait till that Impeller breaks down on your Nano-Reef skimmer and you have to deal with the little french guy $25 plus shipping every 6 months...Good Luck...

image-1.png

Talked to him on several occasions couldn't have been more helpful. My tunze didn't make nearly the skim that this skimmer has made. The tunze is no better than the stock skimmer they are almost identical. And why would I want to buy something and mod it I have to mod the tunze with zip ties to get it to stay together my kids happy meal toys have thicker plastic than the tunze skimmer is made of....a new impeller is the least of my worries it is easily replaced.

Edited by nova65ss
Talked to him on several occasions couldn't have been more helpful. My tunze didn't make nearly the skim that this skimmer has made. The tunze is no better than the stock skimmer they are almost identical. And why would I want to buy something and mod it I have to mod the tunze with zip ties to get it to stay together my kids happy meal toys have thicker plastic than the tunze skimmer is made of....a new impeller is the least of my worries it is easily replaced.

My Tunze skims like a beast...So did the Nano-Reef but the Nano-Reef was aesthetically very ugly...Good Luck either way...

The River Reef
My Tunze skims like a beast...So did the Nano-Reef but the Nano-Reef was aesthetically very ugly...Good Luck either way...

Last night I got home and finally had some skim in the cup... it was light, almost dirty water but it was worth removing and not dumping back into the tank. So maybe I was impatient and it was breaking in still

I have another question... I have refugium setup under my filter/ chemi pure in the InTank media basket. I also want a thriving pod population for my livestock which now includes a mandarin. Every time I have to change the filter pad I worry that I am throwing away hundreds of pods. I have read they nest in the filter material. Any advice???