ReefCleaners.org

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

I stopped in at my lfs today and the owner told me that Tunze is about to release a new skimmer designed for the nano aquariums. He said it also comes with a square collection cup.

Solana and MP10 question.

For those of you running the MP10 what did you do with the bending hard plastic hoses for the stock return? Did you just take them off, only use one (remove the y piece), make them shorter, etc.

Thanks!

John

I have recently purchased a solana, but I am buying all the goodies before I actually start it. I recently received my tunze and BRS GFO. Does someone have a picture how they have their Reactor and Tunze set up? I have an mj 1200 which i will use for the reactor, im just not sure how i should set it up to get correct water levels.

I am using your same set up with the MJ under the tunze skimmer. For some reason, the skimmer power head makes a loud vibrating or grinding noise since i installed the MJ. Do you have the same issue?

Anyone ever get any popping sounds from their tank? I'm starting to get a bit worried as I keep hearing a pop about once per hour. I can't tell if it is my stand or the tank, but it's nerve wracking.

It has begun ...

I can't hardly wait to see new tank setup.. Nothing quite the taste of seeing new Solana tanks setup anyways! good luck.. haha

Anyone ever get any popping sounds from their tank? I'm starting to get a bit worried as I keep hearing a pop about once per hour. I can't tell if it is my stand or the tank, but it's nerve wracking.

Do you have a snapping shrimp? They make a loud snap

I can't hardly wait to see new tank setup.. Nothing quite the taste of seeing new Solana tanks setup anyways! good luck.. haha

Also gonna have to develop my 'skillz' with the Canon B)

Edited by Gort
I have a pistol shrimp, same thing?

Yes

I recently put a Phoenix 14K bulb in my Disco Ball light. I love the color but for some reason the light is now shocking the crap out of me when I touch it. Help !!

I am still trying to tweak my 34G Solana while it is cycling. Could any of you who have pics of the rear of the tank please post them to give us newbee's some ideas? I am really interested to see the different ways some of you have your tank set up.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Anyone who has not yet upgraded the stock skimmer to the Tunze, you should. It is so quiet compared to the stock skimmer. Mine came in with an issue that Tunze is in the process of taking care of but man it is quiet!

Yes

I recently put a Phoenix 14K bulb in my Disco Ball light. I love the color but for some reason the light is now shocking the crap out of me when I touch it. Help !!

o.0 Not good. If you have a friend who is an electrician, give him a call. If you're taking charge off of the light, there's an issue with miswiring going on somewhere; need to take a look at your fixture and see where the problem lies. Electrocution is bad for you.

Other than a Maxijet for the return pump, has anyone else used a different quieter pump?

I'm currently using a Maxijet 1200 as my return, but the thing is loud - I can hear the pump upstairs. I think the pump is on it's last leg because I can hear the spindle rotating in the casing, and the pump is vibrating on the glass and I can't seem to position it so that it's quiet.

Mine has only been up and running for a couple of weeks but what is the issue with the stock pump? My tank is really quiet now that I upgraded the skimmer. The only noise I get annoyed with is the freaking light. I should have spent the money and bought a led fixture. I guess when it comes time to replace the bulbs in this fixture I will just buy a new light.

Mine has only been up and running for a couple of weeks but what is the issue with the stock pump? My tank is really quiet now that I upgraded the skimmer. The only noise I get annoyed with is the freaking light. I should have spent the money and bought a led fixture. I guess when it comes time to replace the bulbs in this fixture I will just buy a new light.

there really isnt an issue with the stock pump, unless you're trying to reduce heat and/or increase the flowrate through your return pump. my stock pump went dead almost a year in, and i switched to a maxijet since it was readily available.

so i changed out the current maxijet with a maxijet 900. it's a lot quieter now, but im looking into a tunze silence recirculating pump for my replacement. does anybody have experiences with these?

also, i was thinking of T-ing off the return feed to my BRC GFO reactor to save space. i used to have the reactor pump in the first section. has anyone done this yet?

Other than a Maxijet for the return pump, has anyone else used a different quieter pump?

I'm currently using a Maxijet 1200 as my return, but the thing is loud - I can hear the pump upstairs. I think the pump is on it's last leg because I can hear the spindle rotating in the casing, and the pump is vibrating on the glass and I can't seem to position it so that it's quiet.

Have you tried using the suction cup mount to mount the mj to either the glass or back of the overflow ? That should make it much quieter.

Hey guys can I join? This is my first reef/nano and it's currently under construction. :)

I am in my first week of setup and was wondering if anyone dosing vodka recommends starting asap.

For those of you who dose vodka, how well does the stock skimmer work with this method?

Check out my thread sometime.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3203482

IMG_2117h.jpg

Edited by qwuintus
I am still trying to tweak my 34G Solana while it is cycling. Could any of you who have pics of the rear of the tank please post them to give us newbee's some ideas? I am really interested to see the different ways some of you have your tank set up.

Thanks for the ideas!!

I agree with this request for pics of the rear of the tank. I heard inTank is coming out with a media basket for the Solana in the near future but I'm curious what other upgrades I should consider back there. Right now I'm stock everything...

Have you tried using the suction cup mount to mount the mj to either the glass or back of the overflow ? That should make it much quieter.

doh! should've thought of that before...i hope i still have them. if not, i'll probably buy a new return pump so i can tee it off to my BRS reactor

im looking into these two pumps

Tunze Silence Recirculation Pump 1073.008

Maxi Jet 900 Utility Pump

can anyone chime in on their experience with these two pumps with the solana?

I use MJ900s in my BC14 and I suspect they'd do fine in the Solana too. Not familiar with the Tunze model.

On a semi-related note, why does my return pump periodically belch out some micro bubbles? It will go 20 minutes or more of normal circulation and then blow a 1 or 1.5 second stream of a micro bubbles. If it's skimmer carry over, I would think it would be more consistent or at least of longer duration. There's no way the skimmer could belch out a second's worth of micro bubbles and they make it all the way through the Chaeto ball in my middle chamber fuge and into the pump entact as a 1 second bolus. This afternoon I siphoned some detritus out of the pump's chamber, but it doesn't appear to have changed the rate of bubble production. Freaky.

• 2 weeks later...