Top Shelf Aquatics

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Hey all....

Bad news. While feeding the tank today, I noticed the beginnings of seam failure on my solana. It's only been up since mid October and now, it appears as though the integrity of the tank is in question. I have a picture, a bad one at that, showing where the silicone is starting to pull away from the glass. It's actually loose to the touch and is located in the upper left corner of the tank. I sent an email to current and will call the retailer from whom I purchased the tank. Any other ideas?? Should I start to tear the system down and move the livestock?? If that's the case, I have no where to put my livestock without another tank.

Appreciate your responses.

post-48159-1293670309_thumb.jpg

Hey all....

Bad news. While feeding the tank today, I noticed the beginnings of seam failure on my solana. It's only been up since mid October and now, it appears as though the integrity of the tank is in question. I have a picture, a bad one at that, showing where the silicone is starting to pull away from the glass. It's actually loose to the touch and is located in the upper left corner of the tank. I sent an email to current and will call the retailer from whom I purchased the tank. Any other ideas?? Should I start to tear the system down and move the livestock?? If that's the case, I have no where to put my livestock without another tank.

I would set up a large rubbermaid bin and use that as a temporary tank until your new one arrives. It won't be prettu but its beyer than coming home to 30 gallons of water and all of your livestock on the ground. That's crazy about you seem...

I would set up a large rubbermaid bin and use that as a temporary tank until your new one arrives. It won't be prettu but its beyer than coming home to 30 gallons of water and all of your livestock on the ground. That's crazy about you seem...

I don't have much of an option on this. I'm interested to see what kind of response I get from Current and the retailer. I have no idea how this could happen, but it did. The picture does not indicate very well the problem. It's hard to see but when I was cleaning the glass after feeding, I looked up from the bottom of the tank and noticed that the black silicone was no black in a few spots.....the noticed it's loose at the top and pulling away. I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. Hopefully the retailer and / or current will step up to the plate on this.

Jae, you sure about that tunze skimmer? *grin*

Is that filter floss? I am using the stock Blue filter and want to replace it with something. Will filter floss work in place of the blue filter in chamber #2?

Has anyone tried to T off their return to power a reactor. I'm still trying to set up my TLF reactor with my biopellets, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to set it all up without having to change what I already have.

Is that filter floss? I am using the stock Blue filter and want to replace it with something. Will filter floss work in place of the blue filter in chamber #2?

Yes I just place the floss on top of the stock tray. I am currently building a media track to insert there.

Genj, the pov you copied is the first of there in that post. The middle one shows the magnetic mount for the tunze ato.

Please excuse all of my recent typos I have been using my new phone te past week or so and it has a swype text feature...apparently there are still a few flaws

Yes I just place the floss on top of the stock tray. I am currently building a media track to insert there.

Genj, the pov you copied is the first of there in that post. The middle one shows the magnetic mount for the tunze ato.

Please excuse all of my recent typos I have been using my new phone te past week or so and it has a swype text feature...apparently there are still a few flaws

Hah, I think I stayed up way to late, soldering my light and drinking. I was looking for a tunze 9002, not the osmolator. Doh! :P

I'm using an HOB skimmer so my 1st chamber is available for redesign. I was wondering if anyone has ever done a mod on the tank's overflow to use filter sock. Was thinking of inserting a thin 1" bulkhead fairly high on the overflow tube and sealing the tube under the bulkhead. Water then would be diverted through the bulkhead and could be run through a filter sock within the 1st chamber. Does this sound crazy or possible?

Edited by pweissma
Hey all....

Maybe as a quick safety fix could be "come-along" strap that you can wrap around the tank and tighten up for a quick safety measure... Just an idea

NirvanaandTool
Has anyone tried to T off their return to power a reactor. I'm still trying to set up my TLF reactor with my biopellets, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to set it all up without having to change what I already have.

I'm running a BRS reactor with a MJ1200 placed under the Tunze 9002 skimmer in chamber 1. Could do that instead of running it off the return if you have a 9002.

Solana 34 en route - finally made my choice.

From the perspective of experienced owners, are there any out-of-the-box issues that should be addressed? I'm hoping to run stock for a while since I'm still faced with paying for lighting, stand, rock, sand and all the other necessary reefer-gear...

Has anyone set up their solana with overhang? I finally was able to pick up a solana and I have a stand that is 22 x 19.5 . WEIRD dimensions, I know. TO make a long story short.... is a 1/2 inch too much overhang? Anyone else try it? Please let me know!

Has anyone set up their solana with overhang? I finally was able to pick up a solana and I have a stand that is 22 x 19.5 . WEIRD dimensions, I know. TO make a long story short.... is a 1/2 inch too much overhang? Anyone else try it? Please let me know!

I was talking to an accomplished stand-maker about this - you can overlay the existing stand top with a piece of 3/4 plywood cut to the correct size. Affix it with epoxy or other appropriate glue. I would consider sanding or roughing-up the existing top finish for a good bond... He suggested 23.5 x 22.75 for the top. This gives a ¾” over hang on the front and both sides leaving the back flush.

I would not overhang the tank off of a stand. That's a sure fire way to stress the seams.

Hello to all, my Solana will be in next week!!! I told myself I would not get another saltwater tank after I got rid of my last one over a year ago. We spent a boatload on handscraped teak hardwood flooring and I did not want to take any chances or have to move the 2,000 lb tank twice. I have been itching to get another one ever since. I figured I would go with a small tank and here I am. I have been reading this thread and I would like to seek any advice on what else I should order. I ordered the tank, stand, wood trimmed lid, one tunze nano powerhead, refractometer, reef test kit, thermometer, reef salt, magnet cleaner, and the pendant 55 Watt CF fixture. I went with the CF fixture because the metal halide is no longer available. My sales pitch to the wife was that it would look good and the pendant was part of that. Current USA advised me that they are in the process of building a pendant LED fixture and I will go that route when it comes available. The have not found any nice looking LED pendant fixtures yet except those that cost way too much. In the future I would like to order a Tunze 9002 skimmer, Tunze 3155 Osmolator, and a Vortech MP10ES but can't sneak these items right now. Is there anything else I need to order before I set the tank up? I have always been impatient in the past and I would actually like to take my time this go around. Thanks for any advice.

Hello to all, my Solana will be in next week!!! I told myself I would not get another saltwater tank after I got rid of my last one over a year ago. We spent a boatload on handscraped teak hardwood flooring and I did not want to take any chances or have to move the 2,000 lb tank twice. I have been itching to get another one ever since. I figured I would go with a small tank and here I am. I have been reading this thread and I would like to seek any advice on what else I should order. I ordered the tank, stand, wood trimmed lid, one tunze nano powerhead, refractometer, reef test kit, thermometer, reef salt, magnet cleaner, and the pendant 55 Watt CF fixture. I went with the CF fixture because the metal halide is no longer available. My sales pitch to the wife was that it would look good and the pendant was part of that. Current USA advised me that they are in the process of building a pendant LED fixture and I will go that route when it comes available. The have not found any nice looking LED pendant fixtures yet except those that cost way too much. In the future I would like to order a Tunze 9002 skimmer, Tunze 3155 Osmolator, and a Vortech MP10ES but can't sneak these items right now. Is there anything else I need to order before I set the tank up? I have always been impatient in the past and I would actually like to take my time this go around. Thanks for any advice.

I think you are good. Welcome back and with a great tank! When you do get in one more item, make it the Osmolator first!

Tank and stand came in today! I am impressed with the tank but not with the stand. I ended up ordering a different light today. I will be sending back the CF pendant. I went with the 20" Current Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb T5 light with the mounting bracket to hang it over the tank. The dollars are adding up quick and I still have a long way to go!

Tank and stand came in today! I am impressed with the tank but not with the stand. I ended up ordering a different light today. I will be sending back the CF pendant. I went with the 20" Current Nova Extreme Pro 6 bulb T5 light with the mounting bracket to hang it over the tank. The dollars are adding up quick and I still have a long way to go!

The stand sucks. It's not hard to build, but it certainly takes time.

Still sifting through this large thread. I am dead set on keeping the wood trimmed lid I ordered for noise reduction and reduced evaporation. Here are a few questions:

If I replace the stock skimmer with a Tunze or Hydor, will it fit with the lid on?

What heater should I order that will fit?

Should I replace the long return heads with a smaller option because this freaking thing is long?

The tunze will fit with the InTank cup. I think most heaters fit in chamber 1 next to the skimmer. The return lines are like lock line and you can shorten or length them to your liking.

Glad to hear on no bloom. You are really making me wish I got the double reactor from BRS rather than the single.

I hooked up my single last night. Drilled it into the side of the stand and using a MJ1200 to power it. The MJ is placed under the tunze skimmer and the return dumps right on top of the heater spot in chamber 1. I was having a water level problem when I had the return go into chamber 3 - guess the MJ was pumping the water out of the skimmer chamber faster than it could flow back in. Kind of stupid of me, should have guessed I'd have a problem considering Im using a 1200 for the reactor and a 900 for a return pump. Oh well, problem solved. At least I finally have the bag of carbon out of chamber 3 ...

Nice on the Ushio. Take pics when you try it out.

I am using your same set up with the MJ under the tunze skimmer. For some reason, the skimmer power head makes a loud vibrating or grinding noise since i installed the MJ. Do you have the same issue?