Top Shelf Aquatics

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Anyone know of a way to modifiy the back wall so coralline is able to be scraped off? I am into the clean look.

Maybe Stevie can make something for us.......?

Thanks

Edited by rod2
I can't find it anywhere! does it have a model number or anything by chance?

My bad MedRed its by Sterilite and are called "show offs" heres a pic of the tag. Its the hanging file folder case.

IMAG0027.jpg

Edited by jae4571

Just bought myself a 34 gallon Solana Low Iron tank and stand today to replace my 24 AP.

I have a 150 watt Sunpod that I'm going to use for awhile, until I sell some frags to upgrade the lighting system. What lights would you recommend for a heavily stocked sps tank with chalices and zoas? Right now I'm planning to put my sps on the top 1/3 of my tank.

Should I replace the stock skimmer with my Tunze 9002? It's standard, so do I need the Stevie cup?

How do you guys like the ATO? I have a JBJ ATO, but if the stock ones fine I'll just sell it.

How would you compare the standard glass to the Low Iron upgrade?

Sorry guys, I'm sure a lot of the questions have been asked, but I have two kids and a wife that almost shot me today after I told her I bought another tank..lol I'll look around on this thread, but any info would help.

Thanks

Chris

Reefer916

I think your 150 watt sunpod will be fine for the tank

I currently run the stock skimmer and have not had any issues. I will eventually upgrade to the Tunze. You will need the stevie t cup for the Tunze skimmer to fit in chamber 1.

The stock ATO sucks so keep the JBJ

I have never seen the regular glass to compare sorry.

Good luck! this is a great tank make sure you post some pics once the tan kis set up

Reefer916-

Welcome! You're going to like the tank. It's a great little system. I, like Jae4571, am running the stock skimmer and have had no problems.

Keep the JBJ ATO as Jae said and get it wet and post some pics!

+ eleventy billion!

Here is an updated shot of mine. Recovering from an urchin experiment to remove some dreaded red turf algae. The only thing it removed was all of my coralline!

5230198069_5208e08d78_b.jpg

NICE tank!!!

Reefer916-

Welcome! You're going to like the tank. It's a great little system. I, like Jae4571, am running the stock skimmer and have had no problems.

Keep the JBJ ATO as Jae said and get it wet and post some pics!

Thanks Jae and Creefer,

Sucks because I got an e-mail this morning that Overnightpets.com won't ship me the Solana Low Iron I ordered and it's pickup only in NJ. Makes it a little difficult, since I'm in California. Petsolutions has a pretty good deal on the regular Solana and stand for $475 shipped without lights, but I really want to get the Low Iron version. Do you guys know where I could pick one up online for a decent price. Seems like everywhere else I check they want $450-$500 just to ship the tank.

Thanks guys, I'm a little bummed because I thought I was going to get it before Christmas..lol

I bought mine locally for $450. That was the starphire solana, stand and cf italian glass pendant. Another shop was offering the same deal plus the mh disco pendant got $650. I would look around locally if possible you can find some really great deals a lot of times. Good luck you're going to love the tank!

I bought mine locally for $450. That was the starphire solana, stand and cf italian glass pendant. Another shop was offering the same deal plus the mh disco pendant got $650. I would look around locally if possible you can find some really great deals a lot of times. Good luck you're going to love the tank!

I asked a few of my LFS's to looking around for me. I did miss a used Solana with Sunpod 150MH for $150 on Black Friday. Your Reef had it laying around and literally a person bought it 5 minutes before I asked. Oh well.. I'll ask around at a few of the other LFS's. Thanks for the headsup.

My lfs ordered it for me through their distributor. I don't know if that's an option. I just like that option better than having it shipped to my house. Let them east that cost if it breaks

ximmortaldeathx

Hey guys, it just wrote up a quick guide to mount up the current hanging kit, its on my thread if anyone want to read it.

Edited by ximmortaldeathx

Hey folks...just picked up a new 25g. It's setup at my wife's office and elected to go with this over the last tank due to ease of maintenance. My main question is re: the 2 bottles for top-off. These REALLY don't work? I am using the glass top that came with it to aid in lessening evap. I really need to make that thing work or somehow utilize an ATO that will be hidden. I set it up on a Friday and grew paranoid, so went in on Sunday and needed to add water b/c the return was sputtering and catching air due to low water level.

Do I have something wrong here? The manual said keep the water in the middle chamber just a touch higher than the poly pad on the drip tray...when I do this it appears that the water level on the return side is only a couple few inches above the pump.

I was wondering how you guys plumb in your Bio pellet reactors to your Solana. I'm having trouble figuring out how I want to do it. Figured I could see how other people are setting theirs up. Thanx for the help!! Joe

I bought a bulk reef supply reactor and GFO pellets. I also got a MJ600 and put that in the second chamber. I ran a piece of clear tubing under the cabinet where I had the reactor mounted and then the return hose is going to the third chamber with the return pump. The only problem I had was getting the reactor to stop leaking. The quick connects are not made for the clear thinner type tubing. I went to Home Depot and bought the connector that is cone shaped with steps in it. If you need a pic PM me and I can take a pic for you. Its really a good set-up.

Anyone have any thoughts on how much weight can be placed on top of the Solana? I'm getting ready to put my hood/light on and I'm a bit nervous about it.

The hood is 29 pounds and will be supported by the left and right sides of the tank.

ximmortaldeathx

Thats a bit heavy considering a sunpod weighs around almost 15 lbs.

however, i once saw a guy who had 2 sunpods on his solana and it held fine, so you're probably ok.

Have you seen his solana since you saw it the first time, or did the weight of the two pods cause the thing to explode? :o

That's what I'm worried about, the tank failing while I am way because I have this thing on it.

Could someone tell me if the stock skimmer air line is nearly impossible to get attached to the pump? I'm about to throw this thing out the window...

its hard to keep it there, but i have since upgraded long ago

yeah, I actually have a tunze 9002, that I just put in there today. Unfortunately the stock cup doesn't fit, and the steviet cup that came with it is too big by about a 1/4". I hope the newly designed cup fits.