SaltCritters.com

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

I have a 5.5 for that very purpose already. Just need the float switch. I was thinking about the RKL + due to the outlet issues. Are you topping off with kalk or just straight RO/DI?

NirvanaandTool
Yeah I was talking to him yesterday about it and I think he talked me into giving it a try. So either this weekend or next i'm going to get it set up!

Nice. Let us know how it works out for you.

What type of ATO do you guys use on you system...I would love to buy the Tunze Osmolator but its a bit pricey. I've been contemplating a unit from autotopoff.com but am unsure what type of pump to use to get the water from my stand into the back chamber as the pump they sell is only rated fro a max head height of 25 inches. Any suggestions or comments would be great!

I've heard nothing but good things on the Osmolator but I couldn't stomach that price tag. I went with a Digital Aquatics ATO system running off my RKL. Uses a Aqualifter to pump water up about 3 feet into the tank. Aqualifter runs on a multi-timer for 15 mins every hour and the float switch acts as an alarm to turn the circuit off in case it overfills. Has worked fine for the year the tank has been running.

For my new build, I just ordered a Blueline AT1 ATO system. Seems like its a pretty good sump mounted system and just needs a pump. I will also have this controlled via multi-timer on a RKL just for another degree of safety.

Thats why I like the RKL system... see it can be customized to ATO how you want... the float switch can be set-up to turn on or turn off the pump, how every you wanna make it work.

I top off with straight RO/DI.

I have been using my disco ball light on my Solana for 2 years now. How long should the bulb last? Also any recommendations on a new bulb? I would like the light to have more blue.

I have been using my disco ball light on my Solana for 2 years now. How long should the bulb last? Also any recommendations on a new bulb? I would like the light to have more blue.

You haven't changed your bulb in 2 years?!? I would say a 14k phoenix and if you haven't changed your bulb in that amount of time you will probably need to re acclimate the corals to the new bulb.

The $99 one will get you started but you will run out of plugs quick since it only comes with (1) 4 outlet strip. I have the ReefKeeper Lite (Plus) and still want more than 8 outlets so I had to double up a few due to my lights having 5 separate plugs!

It's a great thing!

Like you said about the MH heating issue... well I have my RKL all set up so that if I hit 79.5 my cooling fans kick on to cool and it that doesn't help and it hits 81.5 then the lighting shuts off... then everything comes back on once it cools off to my preset temp...

There ATO is good as well... Add a float switch or just set up a pump to top-off at a preset time and length. Either way works great. I got the float switch and use a small pump in a 5.5g tank that fits perfectly in bottom of the stand...

rck,

Is the SL1 module required for ATO control on the RKL? Getting ready to purchase and would like to know. Thanks.

rck,

Is the SL1 module required for ATO control on the RKL? Getting ready to purchase and would like to know. Thanks.

Yes, it has the "switch" inputs for where you plug in there float switch

Sure can! post some picture up bro!

This is all I have for now :-(

akba5e.jpg

HI, Add me to the list. I'm going to be rockin out Medred's former solana.

YEAH!

RSM are better.hahahaha :lol:

2010-10-20172736.jpg

GTFO

+1

The stock skimmer rocks but just need to do a little modifing to the pump but either then that it works like a champ skimming on some wahhh tahh! Lol

What mods did you do? The mesh mod?

For all you solana owner's out there, I have the following questions. I'm making RO/DI right now in hopes of getting my new tank wet this weekend.

I know some of you are running purigen and chemipure elite as well as chaeto beneath the purigen and chemipure. Should I include these items in my system during cycle? Or, do I wait for the blooms to add the chaeto, purigen, and chemipure?? This is my first reef and first SW tank since 1991(fish only), so I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

I'd wait until my cycle was complete. No use in exhausting it before any fish and corals are added.

Thanks. I assume you refer to all of the above, correct?

Btw...your 60 is SICK! Can't wait to see it stocked.

Thanks. I assume you refer to all of the above, correct?

Btw...your 60 is SICK! Can't wait to see it stocked.

+1

i can't wait to see MedRed stock up so that i can have a heart attack! lol jk

Creefer let the cycle do its thing and establish the good bacteria you'll need for your tank. Once the cycle is over you can start adding live stock and if you want add some cheato. I'd wait to add the chemi pure or purigen until your ready to add coral (I use Chemipure elite for space issues).

Creefer let the cycle do its thing and establish the good bacteria you'll need for your tank. Once the cycle is over you can start adding live stock and if you want add some cheato. I'd wait to add the chemi pure or purigen until your ready to add coral (I use Chemipure elite for space issues).

Thanks. Plan on using the elite. Should get this thing wet this weekend. Will be working on scape (and beer) this evening. Also plan on a BSJ, so I'll be building his house tonight as well......all while continuing to "make" water. Hate to sound impatient, but the RODI is sssssllllllloooooooowwwwwww