Cultivated Reef

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Quick question for any of you who use the nova extreme pro 20inch light. What bulbs are you using. I have been reading about after market bulbs for the light but have had issues finding them. Any ideas or help would be great! Thanks!

RememberTheFallen

Well, count me in... I have been sucked into the addiction! A friend gave me a 20 gal tank that he was no longer using and got me hooked. Then once I saw my first Solana I was hooked!

I now have my tank up and cycled, just starting to play around with everything. I replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze, and got the intank cup to add the skimmer to chamber 1 (plan on that in the next few days).

Few questions though... ( I am only 33 pages into this thread so bear with me lol )

1. Whats the best thing to use in the overflow? I saw someone was using Fluval foam blocks.

2. Besides carbon, whats good to use for filter media. And for those using more than one, do you mix it in the sock? or run say a carbon sock n chamber 2 with something else in chamber 3?

3. I see a LOT of people turned chamber 2 into a fuge, is this something someone brand spanking new should attempt?

I will make a build post soon!

Thanks in advance!

@RememberTheFallen

1. I use filter floss which is basically just 100% polyester pillow stuffing. Change it out every few days.

2. Chemi-Pure Elite

3. Making a fuge could be a little tricky in the Solana. It's such a small area in chamber 2. Honestly, I'm not convinced that it is worth the trouble.

3. Making a fuge could be a little tricky in the Solana. It's such a small area in chamber 2. Honestly, I'm not convinced that it is worth the trouble.

I am, My chaeto grows like crazy! I assume that means its growing there, instead of algae growing in my display!

-Mike :happydance:

How do you clean the return stock pump? I pulled it out, cleaned out all the gunk and stuff clogged around it. Scrubbed around through the holes in the casing with a brush, but I could the thing apart to clean it out, scrub out all the parts, etc.

Does this thing come apart? If so how the heck do you do it?

How do you clean the return stock pump? I pulled it out, cleaned out all the gunk and stuff clogged around it. Scrubbed around through the holes in the casing with a brush, but I could the thing apart to clean it out, scrub out all the parts, etc.

Does this thing come apart? If so how the heck do you do it?

pop the face out with a flat head screw driver...then unscrew the flow control thing and then remove propeller you should be good with that....

pop the face out with a flat head screw driver...then unscrew the flow control thing and then remove propeller you should be good with that....

Are you sure it is meant to come off? I don't want to break it. Most of them slide off. You are sure this one doesn't slide also?

Do you just pop out straight out? Have you sone this to the stock pump before?

I have a weird problem that I can't figure out. My display keeps getting really high, almost to the very, very top of the glass. Also the water in chamber 3 is really low when this happens.

I have rinsed out my overflow sponge, cleaned out the the return pump, cleaned the skimmer, and cleaned out the chemi pure in chamber 2. The water level in the display will return to a normal level, and chamber 3 will fill up. Then a bit later (or the next day)it will be back to the way it was again.

I had to turn off my ato because I'm afraid it's going to fill chamber 3 with water while the display is high, and cause a massive overflow.

I have no idea what is causing the issue, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks!

I have a weird problem that I can't figure out. My display keeps getting really high, almost to the very, very top of the glass. Also the water in chamber 3 is really low when this happens.

I have rinsed out my overflow sponge, cleaned out the the return pump, cleaned the skimmer, and cleaned out the chemi pure in chamber 2. The water level in the display will return to a normal level, and chamber 3 will fill up. Then a bit later (or the next day)it will be back to the way it was again.

I had to turn off my ato because I'm afraid it's going to fill chamber 3 with water while the display is high, and cause a massive overflow.

I have no idea what is causing the issue, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks!

your sponges/filter floss's are getting clogged or make sure you remove the bottom plate in 2nd chamber and allow the chemi-pure to rest on the bottom...its what i did...

It is the sponge. Next time this happens keep the water running and just pull out the sponge. You should see the water level go back to normal.

You are right. I actually noticed that last night after I posted this. I bought some of the fulva sponges that people suggest on here. I cut them in half, and have been rinsing them out every few days, and replacing them every 2 weeks.

Is it normal for them to clog so quickly?

You are right. I actually noticed that last night after I posted this. I bought some of the fulva sponges that people suggest on here. I cut them in half, and have been rinsing them out every few days, and replacing them every 2 weeks.

Is it normal for them to clog so quickly?

i have no idea why they use that because it is an instant clogger...i've attached a paper clip to the stock one so it doesn't slip down its the best solution and never clogs...if you contact current usa they will send you a couple extra ones they sent me 5...and for 2nd chamber i've found this works best by far...just cut to size

http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marinela...ilter-Pads.aspx

goodluck...

i have no idea why they use that because it is an instant clogger...i've attached a paper clip to the stock one so it doesn't slip down its the best solution and never clogs...if you contact current usa they will send you a couple extra ones they sent me 5...and for 2nd chamber i've found this works best by far...just cut to size

http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marinela...ilter-Pads.aspx

goodluck...

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if what you are using is the best though. The filter pad material is great for chamber 2, but the material that goes into the overflow if more like a corse sponge. I think you'd be better off using a sponge like material like the fulva 404 (I think that is what it is). But you look through the fourm you'll see what it is. Seems like lots of folks are using the fulva sponges.

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if what you are using is the best though. The filter pad material is great for chamber 2, but the material that goes into the overflow if more like a corse sponge. I think you'd be better off using a sponge like material like the fulva 404 (I think that is what it is). But you look through the fourm you'll see what it is. Seems like lots of folks are using the fulva sponges.

my Solona's has been running clog-less since 2008...so if it aint broke i aint fixin' it...and i'm giving you advice based off what i did and what worked for me not what someone wrote on here...

good luck amigo...

Edited by DAHNIC561
NirvanaandTool

Never had that problem with the Fluval foam pad for the overflow. Do you have any other filter material in chamber 2? Maybe filter floss that is clogging up?

Back to the Chaeto in chamber 2 thing for a minute. I understand the tendency for strands of Chaeto to break free and get sucked into the pump. Would it be worth building an egg crate platform to keep the Chaeto ball up off the bottom and somewhat contained in chamber 2? That's essentially what the BioCube design has and I've never had a pump clog. My Solana doesn't have a Chaeto fuge yet because I haven't gotten off my duff and built the light for the back.

Back to the Chaeto in chamber 2 thing for a minute. I understand the tendency for strands of Chaeto to break free and get sucked into the pump. Would it be worth building an egg crate platform to keep the Chaeto ball up off the bottom and somewhat contained in chamber 2? That's essentially what the BioCube design has and I've never had a pump clog. My Solana doesn't have a Chaeto fuge yet because I haven't gotten off my duff and built the light for the back.

I'm planning on building a "cage" for the chaeto out of eggcrate. This way I can take it in and out for trimming and occasional rinsing.

Just picked up my "new to me" solana 34 today. Bought it out of the classified here on the forum. Managed to pick up a wood trim top with glass lids as I like the way that looks.

One question so far is how flexible should the glass panel joints be? Just curious as I've never seen one before this one. Should there be a little flex from the silicone if you put any pressure on the two glass sides? I'm guessing since there isn't a frame this is normal, but want to make sure before I put water in to test for leaks. :)

Thanks for any tips.

I'm planning on building a "cage" for the chaeto out of eggcrate. This way I can take it in and out for trimming and occasional rinsing.

I constructed a 4 sided box to support the bag of Chemipure and partially contain the Chaeto. I cut one side off a polystyrene box and drilled a bunch of holes in in--seemed more sturdy than trying to glue one up out of eggcrate. Not to mention that a sheet of eggcrate was $14 at Home Depot and the plastic box was $4. It is cut to fit tightly into the middle chamber. Don't forget to put a zip tie on the top to facilitate taking it out. The Chemipure sits on top, then the stock black plastic platform rests on the ledge. On top of it all I use a phosphate filter pad. The filter pad gets clogged and needs to be rinsed out every few days and then replaced every couple of weeks. Since the box sets on the bottom of the chamber, it would be hard for the chaeto to get out and so far, no chaeto has migrated into the pump chamber.

post-50043-1283408972_thumb.jpg

The glass panel joints on my (new) lid and frame allow the small portion of the glass to fold all the way back and rest on the main portion of the glass. If it seems inflexible, maybe they are on backwards??? I think that they are only meant to flex in one direction.....

good luck........

NirvanaandTool

I just use Chemipure on top of the 'stock' bottom drip plate and then chaeto on top of that in chamber 2. Then I have plain blue filter floss from inTank on top of the uppermost drip plate and half of the Fluval foam pad in the overflow. Seems to work well for me. I replace the floss and foam pad once a week.

The "stock bottom drip plate"? I guess I forgot (or didn't know?) that there was another drip plate down there. Sounds like nothing else is needed; the drip plate shouldn't let any Chaeto past into the pump chamber. Thanks Nirvana.

Hey guys,

Could you folks who are using chamber 2 as a refugium post some pics and zuzu, maybe the dimensions of your box?

I have a Solana 34 on order and some spare time this weekend, wouldn't mind getting a refugium box ready!

JT