Pod Your Reef

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

For people with the Current USA sunpod (20") that comes with the 6 LEDS

What exactly are the white and blue LEDS for?

I hear moonlighting and actinic lighting... Are the blues Actinic and the whites moonlighting?

Can i keep both of them on all night, or should i have a period of complete darkness for my tank??

Just trying to sort this out

For people with the Current USA sunpod (20") that comes with the 6 LEDS

What exactly are the white and blue LEDS for?

I hear moonlighting and actinic lighting... Are the blues Actinic and the whites moonlighting?

Can i keep both of them on all night, or should i have a period of complete darkness for my tank??

Just trying to sort this out

They are just for low light viewing. The white is a bit too bright for full night time mode IMO. The blue are subdued enough to leave on all night.

NirvanaandTool
If you do it, I might jump on the XL 60 too! Lol:p

I wonder how ezcompany doing so far on his new tank. Anyone heard any update from him yet?

hate the textured background too! I almost ripped out the whole back and just get a custom overflow and run a sump but I chicken out! Lol

I thought about potentially pulling the back out too and doing an overflow as well. Figured when I move next summer it would be a good time to do it. But yea same as you I chickened out of that idea. I dont feel like going through the hassle of pulling it out and having to reseal the back corners of the tank.

I'd rather just buy a new tank and sell the solana lol

HELP!

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get clear water.... I think its a combination of pod molts and microbubbles....

Details:

-Tunze and return nozzles are not causing the sandbed to be disturbed to much

-I have the stock skimmer, turned this off for 24hrs and still no improvement

-I have kept the chambers at the proper levels

-I have cleaned both the skimmer AND return pump with vinegar

-I have chemipure in the 2nd chamber, I dont have any other filters in chamber 2. I do have fluval in the prefilter area and a filter floss inside the skimmer waterfall area (although the package says it doesnt trap bubbles)

What do i need to do to a) reduce bubbles, and B) get the debris to either go in the overflow and get out of there.

I also moved my tunze from the overflow side to the opposite side (to push the flow towards the overflow)

Heres a couple of new pics...not much has changed tank is stable and everything looks A-ok...using iPhone 4 now...

thanx 4 lookin'...

What kind of blenny/goby is that? The yellow one with red tips?

HELP!

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get clear water.... I think its a combination of pod molts and microbubbles....

Details:

-Tunze and return nozzles are not causing the sandbed to be disturbed to much

-I have the stock skimmer, turned this off for 24hrs and still no improvement

-I have kept the chambers at the proper levels

-I have cleaned both the skimmer AND return pump with vinegar

-I have chemipure in the 2nd chamber, I dont have any other filters in chamber 2. I do have fluval in the prefilter area and a filter floss inside the skimmer waterfall area (although the package says it doesnt trap bubbles)

What do i need to do to a) reduce bubbles, and B) get the debris to either go in the overflow and get out of there.

I also moved my tunze from the overflow side to the opposite side (to push the flow towards the overflow)

What kind of blenny/goby is that? The yellow one with red tips?

Its a midas blenny...

I would try removing the prefilter for a a while and see what happens. I do not run any filter media at all in my Solona, sometimes I will run some floss on top of the middle chamber if I stir stuff up during a water change.

RememberTheFallen

Few questions...

I had to move my tank for the painters today, so I figured this was as good a time as any to get some work done on it!

I have the inTank cup for my Tunze, but I need to move my magnet from the side to the back of the Tunze. I know I can remove it with a razor, flathead, and some patients, but whats the best way to re-attach the magnet? A friend said super glue, but worried about putting anything in my tank like that. And I have the two part epoxy that you twist together to attach coral, but that doesn't seem to be the best choice either. Ideas?

Also, Sand or Starboard? I have a starboard in there right now, but there doesn't seem to be a way to keep that thing clean, where with sand I could vacuum it or get a cleanup crew for it. I would love some feedback on the pros and cons of both =)

Thanks in advance for any help!

LOVING the hobby!

I have a problem.. I have a tunze 6025 beside the main return shooting to the front glass..... I cant find any low flow area's for some of my softties like hammer and bubble coral...

A picture of the setup is just a few posts back

NirvanaandTool

There's no way that there's no spots for the coral. I had 2 modded 6025s and I still had some low flow areas for euphyllids. Just manipulate the flow stream and make a lower flow area for the coral.

Why not use the side magnet as is. Mine is in chamber 1 and the side magnet holds it just right by putting the other magnet just below the rim in chamber 2. Once hung you can put your lid back on that rim if you are using it.

Few questions...

I had to move my tank for the painters today, so I figured this was as good a time as any to get some work done on it!

I have the inTank cup for my Tunze, but I need to move my magnet from the side to the back of the Tunze. I know I can remove it with a razor, flathead, and some patients, but whats the best way to re-attach the magnet? A friend said super glue, but worried about putting anything in my tank like that. And I have the two part epoxy that you twist together to attach coral, but that doesn't seem to be the best choice either. Ideas?

Also, Sand or Starboard? I have a starboard in there right now, but there doesn't seem to be a way to keep that thing clean, where with sand I could vacuum it or get a cleanup crew for it. I would love some feedback on the pros and cons of both =)

Thanks in advance for any help!

LOVING the hobby!

Why not use the side magnet as is. Mine is in chamber 1 and the side magnet holds it just right by putting the other magnet just below the rim in chamber 2. Once hung you can put your lid back on that rim if you are using it.

Yup me too!

So does the filter sock cut down on all the blowing particles... and micro bubbles?

I current run a stock like filter in the over-flow, blue/white filter on top of chamber 2 and then a foam pre-filter on top of a bag of phosban which I have pressed down under the bottom chamber... and seem to get a lot floating stuff... and micro-bubbles from my ER-skimmer...

any suggestions?

So does the filter sock cut down on all the blowing particles... and micro bubbles?

I current run a stock like filter in the over-flow, blue/white filter on top of chamber 2 and then a foam pre-filter on top of a bag of phosban which I have pressed down under the bottom chamber... and seem to get a lot floating stuff... and micro-bubbles from my ER-skimmer...

any suggestions?

See here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3024825

RememberTheFallen

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try this tomorrow when I put my tank back together.

Also, a friend came across this little gem last night and I am doing this to my Tunze 9002 tonight!

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try this tomorrow when I put my tank back together.

Also, a friend came across this little gem last night and I am doing this to my Tunze 9002 tonight!

Thanks for that link. Think I'm going to mod my 9002 that way as it is a pain to adjust now.

RememberTheFallen
Was there any improvement in performance like mentioned on the video?

The skimmer does indeed seem quieter, don't really understand why but it is, and it is a LOT easier to adjust now with the new valve. I am VERY glad I did it, thats for sure.

The skimmer does indeed seem quieter, don't really understand why but it is, and it is a LOT easier to adjust now with the new valve. I am VERY glad I did it, thats for sure.

Thanks. I picked up some airline tubing and a valve to mod mine with while I was out today. Looking forward to the easier adjustment if nothing else.

RememberTheFallen
Whoa. Smart and easy looking little mod. Might have to do that too.

Here is mine, I need to clean up the cut I made, but I am too lazy to do that after a week or tearing the tank down and then setting it all back up after the painters.

Oh the Joy...

5031449092_8b02e73623.jpg

Here is mine, I need to clean up the cut I made, but I am too lazy to do that after a week or tearing the tank down and then setting it all back up after the painters.

Oh the Joy...

5031449092_8b02e73623.jpg

nice. I still haven't done mine yet. Figured I'll wait for the weekend.

I see you have a ton of wet pale yellow/green skim. I don't run mine that wet, but have noticed that I either get a cup full a day or a 1/2 inch a week and can't seem to find a setting between that. LOL