Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

What are people replacing the return dual lock/lines with?

Dont like the look and want something cleaner and more useful...

I have a similar complaint, for now I have just a link or two plus one nozzle and it looks 'ok' (read: better).

I guess you could conceal it if your rockwork ran in front of it...

I have a similar complaint, for now I have just a link or two plus one nozzle and it looks 'ok' (read: better).

I guess you could conceal it if your rockwork ran in front of it...

Use nothing...flow is better that way...

To all who are not using the stock skimmer....

What are you using?

Saphire Aquatics went out of business so that seems to out the window.

Has anybody used AquaticLife Mini Aquarium Protein Skimmer? What do you think of it? Does it fit?

Yea it look very huge! But for 179.00 it better do a really good job of skimming!

If I wasn't so lazy and work all the time I can try to make a guide how to save your money by using your stock skimmer to convert it to do a better skimming and more quite. Very easy modification, takes about 15min to do it! Picture will be up sometime this week or so.

My stock skimmer worked like a champ. The dang thing broke though so I got a Tunze 9002 with Stevie T cup. Fits great in the 1st chamber with no mods. Took about two weeks to get it right but now it seems to be doing a pretty good job.

I use the Tunze 9002 with the Stevie-T cup works great...but hands down i say the Euro-Reef is better it just doesn't look good on the tank...i really need things to look clean and sleek...

I did forget to mention how disappointed in the quality of the Tunze construction. When I opened it out of the box the lid was popped up and after several attempts of trying to close it back no luck. I finally had to get zip ties and wrap them around the entire body to get the lid and bottom to stay shut. It just seems to be very thin plastic and distorts very easily.

lol yea its big but thats a pic of it about 3" higher than it is now...

as for sound... you dont even hear it. the over flow makes more noise...

works great so far for what little I have in the tank.

Yea it look very huge! But for 179.00 it better do a really good job of skimming!

If I wasn't so lazy and work all the time I can try to make a guide how to save your money by using your stock skimmer to convert it to do a better skimming and more quite. Very easy modification, takes about 15min to do it! Picture will be up sometime this week or so.

Very interested in this mod....please tell more. Your a skimmer tease :o

Just updated the new comers, so please take out some time and welcome them by checking out their thread!

You can find the all the links on the first page >>>>> CLICK HERE!

Quick question. What do you guys use for the overspill? I've been using the thicker sponge that came with the tank, and I just wash it out at every water change. I've been using this since I've got the tank.

I wash it really well, but I know I'm not getting everything out. I just wanted to see what you guys use.

If you use the blue filter floss it falls down, and it's not as thick and coarse as the black, course, sponge that comes with the tank.

Any suggestions?

I use the black sponge that came with the tank and also rinse it. When needed I replace it with the replacement part from current. It comes in a pack with the sponge for the stock skimmer for around $3 at my LFS (privately owned by a friend). Im sure you could order it from current if you wanted.

Want to replace my stock return pump ( JEBO) since I think it's contributing extra heat into the tank and isnt that efficient. I've searched and it seems that everyone is using the MJ 900 but I think thats only around 200GPH. I want keep the flow close to the 400gph the stock pump puts out. Need to know what pumps have successfully fit in the back and worked well. Thanks

You can try MJ1200 instead of MJ900

we mostly use MJ900 because of the flow it takes to come out and give more time for the aftermarket skimmers to skim.

What has the 660 GPH done to the skimmer? Also, how did that affect the water level in the tank? Did you have to cut into the overflow at all?

No cutting it fit fine in the third chamber just like the original pump. They almost look identical. It did not affect the original skimmer which broke a week or so later (just kinda cracked and fell apart) so I upgraded to the Tunze and it seems to be working fine as well.

No cutting it fit fine in the third chamber just like the original pump. They almost look identical. It did not affect the original skimmer which broke a week or so later (just kinda cracked and fell apart) so I upgraded to the Tunze and it seems to be working fine as well.

Heard the RIOs sometimes have issues starting back up after you unplug them? Also, can't seem to find a major online place that has the HF10. Anyone put in a Quietone, Eheim, etc? Really need to replace my stock pump. Tank runs about 81 open top. Hoping to cool it down a bit and put the glass cover back on to keep my Scott's from jumping out!

Heard the RIOs sometimes have issues starting back up after you unplug them? Also, can't seem to find a major online place that has the HF10. Anyone put in a Quietone, Eheim, etc? Really need to replace my stock pump. Tank runs about 81 open top. Hoping to cool it down a bit and put the glass cover back on to keep my Scott's from jumping out!

I cut it off everyday to feed and never had an issue?