Cultivated Reef

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Question regarding the overflow sponge...

Do you guys push it down below the grates (so the water falls down onto the sponge) or do you have it more "up" so that the sponge is sort of blocking the grates if that makes sense?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference one or the other, but I'm just curious. It seems like having the sponge down a bit, and letting the water fall down onto the sponge would give better flow.

Thoughts?

Hey guys,

Could you folks who are using chamber 2 as a refugium post some pics and zuzu, maybe the dimensions of your box?

I have a Solana 34 on order and some spare time this weekend, wouldn't mind getting a refugium box ready!

JT

Sorry took so long to reply--had to work on holiday weekend.

The box is 4x4x7 and I had to cut off about 3/4" on one side to make it fit.

post-50043-1283842349_thumb.jpg

I used a cutting wheel on my trusty Dremel tool to slowly work my way around the box. You need to support the inside of the box with a scrap of wood to prevent cracking.

post-50043-1283842422_thumb.jpg

You can use a special drill made for plastic, but I used a regular Makita bit for the smaller holes without a problem. See above for the final drilled box.

Here is the rear of the tank all set up.

post-50043-1283842495_thumb.jpg

The dry dock for the MP-10 was also made out of a plastic box. I just glued on some plastic hooks (actually 1/2 of a sliding hook assembly, but it only cost 8 cents) on the top to keep it from falling down.

post-50043-1283842801_thumb.jpg

Tank has been up for 6 months now. I switched to an Acan light and made an almost invisible light tree out of plexiglass rod:

post-50043-1283842598_thumb.jpg

Can post more detailed instructions for anything if you need it.

Im still having problems when i try to use a pre-filter on the solana overflow. I recently tried the Fluval 404/505 foam pad (cut in half) and it still causes a backlog, which ends up flooding my display tank...

Am I the only one with this problem?

I hope you can figure it out soon.

I don't have any problem with mine. When I put the fluval filter in, I kinda tuck it down a little bit so when the overflow water flow into the filter, it will not get flooded. Maybe push it down alittle bit where you can see the waterflow flow on top of the filter pad. Good luck

And change it or prewash with your waterchange everytime. :)

I don't have any problem with mine. When I put the fluval filter in, I kinda tuck it down a little bit so when the overflow water flow into the filter, it will not get flooded. Maybe push it down alittle bit where you can see the waterflow flow on top of the filter pad. Good luck

There is always the filter sock idea like I'm doing. See my build thread in signature for pictures. It is working great so far and catches a ton of particulate from the water. Only down side is that it currently extends into refuge, but I'm planning to shorten the socks so that they do not hang down into the refuge area. I'm using 4"x10" socks at the moment, but plan to shorten them by 4 or 5 inches. :)

Im still having problems when i try to use a pre-filter on the solana overflow. I recently tried the Fluval 404/505 foam pad (cut in half) and it still causes a backlog, which ends up flooding my display tank...

Am I the only one with this problem?

I had trouble getting it out to clean, so I left it out. Really, what is it supposed to do anyway??? It always seemed to get pushed down so low it was hard to get out and didn't filter the water much if it was scrunched down.

I ws having problems with my middle chamber flooding, so I also got rid of the stock blue filter pad in the top of the middle section and replaced it with a piece of HBH Aqua-Pure phosphate filter pad. You get a 10"x18" pad for about $10 and you can get at least 8 pads (4 7/8 x 4). I use the leftover bits for my Betta tank. I change it out every couple of weeks and rinse it out every couple of days as it gets clogged with algae and debris.

I also found that if I use the Chemipure Elite bag for over 30gal size tank that this also will obstruct flow, so now I use the half size bag.

NICE DIY CUSTOM BOX for MPs.. this is great! Where did you get the box from?

I got both boxes at Ridout Plastics in San Diego, but many craft and hobby stores have them to display little dolls and collectables.

NirvanaandTool

Yea I put mine in this exact way. Never had a problem with flooding either.

I replace it every water change (weekly) just to be safe.

So, it's been a while since I updated anything on my Solana. A lot has changed since my last post. I no longer have the anemone or clown, and the corals have changed a bit. I have added a large yellow scroll coral, blue clove, and a nice blue bonsai SPS. Everything is doing really well although I am having a little algea problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I have tested all of my params and everything is in perfect ranges. I am still diong weekly water changes and I have shortened the photo period. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I also have changed the fish. I now have a melagarus wrasse and an arabian dottyback. The pictures are not very good (my good camera is busted) but you can get the idea. I have also installed a chiller and removed the fans.

post-29964-1284076206_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1284076218_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1284076225_thumb.jpgpost-29964-1284076232_thumb.jpg

Edited by lpsouth1978
I also found that if I use the Chemipure Elite bag for over 30gal size tank that this also will obstruct flow, so now I use the half size bag.

I had this same problem when i put the Chemi Pure bag on the top shelf in chamber 2... caused the water level to rise in chamber 2 and drop in chamber 3. I moved it down to the bottom shelf and now things are fine...

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Filter/Pre-filter causing displaytank to overflow

I had to push the filter below the overflow grates so that water still fell on it. I kept the filter ON the overflow and this caused my display tank to overflow (not enough water coming through)

- Thanks to rick4him for giving me the hint on this one...

Fluval 404/405 works great aswell (thanks nirvanatool).... You get 4 sponges out of the 2 pack (have to cut them in half)

Such a happy man now that i have some mech-filtering

Edited by Kweli

OK boys and girls... the itch is back. I'm going to check out the stores in my area tomorrow for the first time. I'm trying to figure out a plan in my head for the live rock. Solana take 2 will be coming up. I may wait until after I get back for Christmas if I can hold off. I need to find a new stand. I hate the one it came with.

+1 on the stand. I want to build a new stand too!

Can't wait to see u get back! Everyone been chilling so you haven't miss anything yet medred!

That's good to hear D. I saw your tank crashed... sorry to hear that :-(

NirvanaandTool
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Filter/Pre-filter causing displaytank to overflow

I had to push the filter below the overflow grates so that water still fell on it. I kept the filter ON the overflow and this caused my display tank to overflow (not enough water coming through)

- Thanks to rick4him for giving me the hint on this one...

Fluval 404/405 works great aswell (thanks nirvanatool).... You get 4 sponges out of the 2 pack (have to cut them in half)

Such a happy man now that i have some mech-filtering

Awesome Steve. Glad you got it all figured out and working!

+1 on the stand. I want to build a new stand too!

Can't wait to see u get back! Everyone been chilling so you haven't miss anything yet medred!

+2 on building a new stand.

I've been considering that for awhile. Hate the junk current one.

Welcome back medred!

I didn't like the current stand so I built my own from angle iron and square tube steel. It is rather easy and inexpensive. I also biult in a shelf and room for a chiller and 10 gallon auto topoff tank underneath. I just had a plastic shop bend me a peice of black ABS plastic to go around the tank. it looks great, is easy to maintain, and easily holds the weight of the solana and all accessories. If you know anyone that welds you can get it done quickly and inexpensively.

If you do it, I might jump on the XL 60 too! Lol:p

I wonder how ezcompany doing so far on his new tank. Anyone heard any update from him yet?

hate the textured background too! I almost ripped out the whole back and just get a custom overflow and run a sump but I chicken out! Lol

JGross4 on Reefcentral covered his back in black acrylic. He was able to scrape it and keep it clean. This is his tank... at 1.5 years of age.

IMG_0493.jpg

Edited by MedRed