SaltCritters.com

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

I know some of you guys are running media reactors. Just curious which ones, what media, and most importantly how do you have it set up?

I really want to run a reactor or possibly the BRS dual reactor but I'd really like to avoid hanging it on the back of the tank.

Pictures would be great, thanks.

The BRS reactor isn't a hang on back. I have there reactor for biopellets in the mail as we speak! I also use a TLF Phosban Reactor with carbon in it. The TLF is on the back of the tank but I think I'm going to have the BRS reactor inside the stand

The BRS reactor isn't a hang on back. I have there reactor for biopellets in the mail as we speak! I also use a TLF Phosban Reactor with carbon in it. The TLF is on the back of the tank but I think I'm going to have the BRS reactor inside the stand

That's probably what i'll end up doing, im just concerned with how well they'd fit inside the stand. Can you post up some pics after you get it set up? Thanks.

NirvanaandTool

What pump are you going to be using for the BRS reactor in the stand? I have a MJ1200 on order to use for my BRS single reactor and was planing on putting it in the sump for GFO and carbon.

What pump are you going to be using for the BRS reactor in the stand? I have a MJ1200 on order to use for my BRS single reactor and was planing on putting it in the sump for GFO and carbon.

They suggested a mj1200 to be used with it and to just turn down flow as needed. (probably a lot since I'll only be using about a cup of biopellets). Hoped to get it here yesterday (Friday) but no good. Going to be Monday. Now working on a way to add some pop to my tank as in LEDs with the sunpod. Really wish I could use a 20k bulb but never have any luck. They always brown my corals.

I've got a Solana XL 60, but I'm using the Next Reef SMR1 Reactor with 1000ml of Warner Marine EcoBak pellets and a Mag Drive 3 Pump.

That seems like a lot of pellets for that size tank. I think I'm suppose to use 1 cup of biopellets per 40 gallons.

What would be the adverse affect of too many pellets? I didn't see a downside, so said what the heck.

No idea. Guess it would be wasting some since your tank could only handle so much.

NirvanaandTool
They suggested a mj1200 to be used with it and to just turn down flow as needed. (probably a lot since I'll only be using about a cup of biopellets). Hoped to get it here yesterday (Friday) but no good. Going to be Monday. Now working on a way to add some pop to my tank as in LEDs with the sunpod. Really wish I could use a 20k bulb but never have any luck. They always brown my corals.

Gotcha. hope it all goes well. My mj1200 gets here tuesday so hopefully my reactor will be hooked up tuesday night

what model sunpod do you have? 250?

Setting up a Fuge in chamber #2 and wanted to see if this was overkill.

I am currently running filter pads on top of the stock black plate, under that chaeto and LR rubble sitting on some egg crate, under the egg crate, filter floss and carbon. I wanted to build a cage (out of egg crate) for the entire setup and add a spot for chemipure. Is this overkill?

For the pic red is the stock black plates, and grey is the pieces that would be egg crate. I switch filter floss out weekly, and carbon I have been switching every 2 weeks (which may be excessive I read carbon lasts a month?)

post-57144-1288638331_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

John

I am currently running filter pads on top of the stock black plate, under that chaeto and LR rubble sitting on some egg crate, under the egg crate, filter floss and carbon. I wanted to build a cage (out of egg crate) for the entire setup and add a spot for chemipure. Is this overkill?

For the pic red is the stock black plates, and grey is the pieces that would be egg crate. I switch filter floss out weekly, and carbon I have been switching every 2 weeks (which may be excessive I read carbon lasts a month?)

Thanks!

John

Check this out......another member did this and I think that's the direction I'm going.

Check this out......another member did this and I think that's the direction I'm going.

Sweet! I likely saw this before and that is where I got the idea lol.. I am just wondering if the activated carbon and filter floss are too much. I was running them before I got chaeto and my water is crystal clear, just worried about removing what works.

Sweet! I likely saw this before and that is where I got the idea lol.. I am just wondering if the activated carbon and filter floss are too much. I was running them before I got chaeto and my water is crystal clear, just worried about removing what works.

I understand. He is running Purigen and Chemi-pure elite.....Same purpose. LIke I said, I'm planning on that once I'm done with the cycle. I think, based on what I have seen of his tank on here, that the purigen and chemi-pure elite is the way to go. I have essentially copied his rack in my system, so we'll see how it works.

How long has your system been up?? Any pics??

John

I have also been contemplating turning my second chamber into a fuge. I wouldn't put filter floss in the bottom of your rack though. I change mine everyday to every other day. I think a week would be pushing it. I currently run the 11.74 oz bag of Chemipure Elite and have no idea how you would fit that in there with carbon, Chaeto and live rock rubble. Good luck and post some pics of it setup!

Thanks!

Edited by jae4571
Gotcha. hope it all goes well. My mj1200 gets here tuesday so hopefully my reactor will be hooked up tuesday night

what model sunpod do you have? 250?

Biopellets went online this evening. Scared to what im going to wake up to in the morning :huh: Seeing if ill have the bloom from the pellets. Right now I'm pulling water from the 2nd chamber to the reactor and returning it to the 3rd chamber. I've been reading that there isn't harm from not having it by the skimmer intake. Also decided not to put the reactor into the stand just yet. I have it sitting behind the tank on a small ledge next to my TLF reactor with carbon.

Yes i'm running a 250 watt sunpod with a 14k phoenix, thinking about trying another 20k bulb besides XM. Tried it twice and a few Acros lost color >.<

I have also been contemplating turning my second chamber into a fuge. I wouldn't put filter floss in the bottom of your rack though. I change mine everyday to every other day. I think a week would be pushing it. I currently run the 11.74 oz bag of Chemipure Elite and have no idea how you would fit that in there with carbon, Chaeto and live rock rumble. Good luck and post some pics of it setup!

Thanks!

I'm interested to see what you do with this. Keep us posted.

I understand. He is running Purigen and Chemi-pure elite.....Same purpose. LIke I said, I'm planning on that once I'm done with the cycle. I think, based on what I have seen of his tank on here, that the purigen and chemi-pure elite is the way to go. I have essentially copied his rack in my system, so we'll see how it works.

How long has your system been up?? Any pics??

Just started a thread. System has been up a little over a month.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=252680

Will post pics of the rack as soon as I am done. I brought the egg crate pieces to work to file them down so they are flush (Scissors left a nasty rough cut).

Not sure if egg crate is universal, but it looks like if you go 6 on both sides you can zip tie the sides on and it will fit perfect.

On a side note can I get added to the Solana Owners list?