Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

I understand. He is running Purigen and Chemi-pure elite.....Same purpose. LIke I said, I'm planning on that once I'm done with the cycle. I think, based on what I have seen of his tank on here, that the purigen and chemi-pure elite is the way to go. I have essentially copied his rack in my system, so we'll see how it works.

How long has your system been up?? Any pics??

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3077789

Posted pics of my filter basket. Thanks for all the good ideas!

Need to replace the bulbs in my NEP. Any Solana owners have thoughts on currents Tru Lumen bulbs vs the UVL ones. Any recommended 6 bulb combos?

Here's how I'm going to have mine set up. 3-12,000k, 2-460nm and 1-420nm. The 460's will be on the 2 bulb ballast and the 420 will be with 12,000k's on the 4 bulbs ballast. Im thinking this will give me the blue spectrum I want with just a hint of purple. We'll see! The bulbs should be here in one week. I'll let you know how it looks when I receive them.

NirvanaandTool
Setting up a Fuge in chamber #2 and wanted to see if this was overkill.

I am currently running filter pads on top of the stock black plate, under that chaeto and LR rubble sitting on some egg crate, under the egg crate, filter floss and carbon. I wanted to build a cage (out of egg crate) for the entire setup and add a spot for chemipure. Is this overkill?

For the pic red is the stock black plates, and grey is the pieces that would be egg crate. I switch filter floss out weekly, and carbon I have been switching every 2 weeks (which may be excessive I read carbon lasts a month?)

post-57144-1288638331_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

John

Way overkill IMO

The chemipure, filter floss and carbon will clog up fast and will back up the back chambers. Live rock will be a detritus trap. Chaeto itself holds enough detritus itself, I wouldnt add any LR back there.

Here's how my chamber 2 is:

Filter Floss -> Stock Drip Plate -> Huge chunk of chaeto -> Chemipure elite (6oz bag) -> Stock drip plate

Water flows through it without a problem. I rinse the chaeto and chemipure every week and replace the filter floss every week. I think anything more in chamber 2 would be overkill and would clog.

Biopellets went online this evening. Scared to what im going to wake up to in the morning :huh: Seeing if ill have the bloom from the pellets. Right now I'm pulling water from the 2nd chamber to the reactor and returning it to the 3rd chamber. I've been reading that there isn't harm from not having it by the skimmer intake. Also decided not to put the reactor into the stand just yet. I have it sitting behind the tank on a small ledge next to my TLF reactor with carbon.

Yes i'm running a 250 watt sunpod with a 14k phoenix, thinking about trying another 20k bulb besides XM. Tried it twice and a few Acros lost color >.<

Nice. How's it running now? Any bloom?

I still never hooked up my reactor. Had a trip to Chicago for 4 days (here now) so i figure I'll hook it up when I get back just in case there are any hiccups...

Ever try a Ushio 20k? Seems like its a popular 250 20k bulb on various forums.

As of now no bloom. Starting to thing I'm not going to get one. I am starting to notice that I'm not having to clean the glass everyday. I think I've done it once this week. And yeah I believe I am going to try a ushio bulb here in a couple of weeks

NirvanaandTool
As of now no bloom. Starting to thing I'm not going to get one. I am starting to notice that I'm not having to clean the glass everyday. I think I've done it once this week. And yeah I believe I am going to try a ushio bulb here in a couple of weeks

Glad to hear on no bloom. You are really making me wish I got the double reactor from BRS rather than the single.

I hooked up my single last night. Drilled it into the side of the stand and using a MJ1200 to power it. The MJ is placed under the tunze skimmer and the return dumps right on top of the heater spot in chamber 1. I was having a water level problem when I had the return go into chamber 3 - guess the MJ was pumping the water out of the skimmer chamber faster than it could flow back in. Kind of stupid of me, should have guessed I'd have a problem considering Im using a 1200 for the reactor and a 900 for a return pump. Oh well, problem solved. At least I finally have the bag of carbon out of chamber 3 ...

Nice on the Ushio. Take pics when you try it out.

Well after much thinking we have purchased our first big boy tank! We were going to get a custom shallow rimless with a sump however we love the AIO and when we saw a our 34g, with a new 20” 150w sunpod, stand and MP10 for $500 I decided that this was the better (and more affordable) way to go!

Will post pics when the fog clears.

Well after much thinking we have purchased our first big boy tank! We were going to get a custom shallow rimless with a sump however we love the AIO and when we saw a our 34g, with a new 20” 150w sunpod, stand and MP10 for $500 I decided that this was the better (and more affordable) way to go!

Will post pics when the fog clears.

Killer deal! I got mine for $50 less and no light or MP10 and thought I was doing ok....

What does everyone clean up crew consist of for their Solana? I originally only had some hermits and a few margarita snails. I've been contemplating buying the 20gallon crew on reefcleaners. Any thoughts? Anything thats a must have that I should be considering?

What does everyone clean up crew consist of for their Solana? I originally only had some hermits and a few margarita snails. I've been contemplating buying the 20gallon crew on reefcleaners. Any thoughts? Anything thats a must have that I should be considering?

I got my CUC from reefcleaners as well. I have nassarius, nerites, ceriths, red hermits, and emerald crabs (got them from my LFS) , john is a good guy, let him know you have a Solana and he can advise you what to get.

I'm thinking about adding a TLF Phosban reactor to my setup. Those of you Solana owners that have the reactor, are you happy with it? Any concerns with the weight of the reactor hanging on the back of a rimless tank?

For any of you running dosing pumps for 2 part Ca/alk, where do you have the additives dosed into? I currently have been having them dosed into chamber 3 for the return into the tank, but im noticing calcium buildup on the power cord of the pump, and im curious whether this will cause calcium to buildup in the pump and cause it to stop working?

Anybody running a "decent" looking LED on their Solana? I have the disco ball running 20k and still don't get that "pop" sensation color on the corals. :huh:

I am currently in the planning stages of a DIY Led Setup for my Solana. I am just completing a smaller setup for my Pico and hope to start one for the solana soon. If I get it done soon I will let you know and post pics.

Replacement Bulb question...

Current lighting - SunPod 250w and 6 Cree Actinic LED's

Need to replace the 250w and have no idea what's in it currently but SPS like it... I have a mixed reef with SPS, LPS and zoa's. The 6 Cree LEDS really bring the "blue" out so maybe a 10k vs a 14k?

Have used Ushio in the past w good results.

Any Suggestions?

thanks

rob

Edited by rck

Anyone out there running the stock solana skimmer for the 34 g make any mods to it? I was thinking about either doing a mesh wheel mod or drilling holes in the stock impeller blades for additional bubble production.

Any ideas?

Whats the best return pump upgrade? 900 or 1200 maxijet?

I am running a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, Sofites) and a MP10...

Stocker seems weak when u place ur hand in front of it...