Coral Vue Hydros

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Whats the best return pump upgrade? 900 or 1200 maxijet?

I am running a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, Sofites) and a MP10...

Stocker seems weak when u place ur hand in front of it...

I'm using the 900 and it seems to be fine.

Anybody running a "decent" looking LED on their Solana? I have the disco ball running 20k and still don't get that "pop" sensation color on the corals. :huh:

I'm using a maxspect G2-110.

There's a bunch of threads on this... there are a few mods you can do to it to make it perform better... just gonna have to search around... sorry i cant help

Thanks, RCK. I've been checking out as many mods as i can find. Some seem pretty decent while others make it look like a new one is the answer. I'm going to start with simple mods on mine and keep everyone posted. First mod will be drilling holes in the impeller blades.

I saw a 34g Solana's today for sale at a local fish store that looked like it had been made to work with an overflow. The back panel had a cut out on the top edge of 1" by 12". Does this sound like a custom job or is standard for the low iron Solana's?

I think they all are like that. I'm not sure of the reasoning but mine is like that. I suppose you could fabricate teeth and somehow fasten them there and use it as an overflow however you then defeat the purposes of the AIO.

The "divet" on the back panel is a cut out for cords for your equipment. It was an addition to the Starphire Solana. It alows for more room when using the glass top. It is not meant for an over flow or anything else like that as the solana is an AIO system.

DSC04502.jpg

The ones we can find pictures of don't appear to have this divet on the back glass pane. Does it affect the water level in your tank?

No it does not affect the water level in the tank.

Edited by jae4571

I took out all of the Bio Balls and put Live Rock (2#) in the second chamber. It seems to be OK but it has only been 2 days. I was told to move the Skimmer to the second chamber, but I dont think it will fit and thought maybe it will impede with the flow. This is my plan. 1st chmber- filter sock and live rock. 2nd chamber- skimmer. 3rd chamber return pump. Is this ok? If not where can I put the filter sock.....second chamber? The Live Rock doesnt seem to impede the flow any and I hope I am getting benificial bacteria out of the live rock?

I saw a 34g Solana's today for sale at a local fish store that looked like it had been made to work with an overflow. The back panel had a cut out on the top edge of 1" by 12". Does this sound like a custom job or is standard for the low iron Solana's?

that was a design update, the first models did not have the dip in the back for cables to be able to hang over and also use the cover that was also added later to help control temp and evaporation...the glass top also has the dip which the original did not...i have had 3 solanas to date my most recent is the low iron which has all the mentioned and also they etched the current emblem on the newer models which i don't care for....you can see the pics on my tank thread...

I took out all of the Bio Balls and put Live Rock (2#) in the second chamber. It seems to be OK but it has only been 2 days. I was told to move the Skimmer to the second chamber, but I dont think it will fit and thought maybe it will impede with the flow. This is my plan. 1st chmber- filter sock and live rock. 2nd chamber- skimmer. 3rd chamber return pump. Is this ok? If not where can I put the filter sock.....second chamber? The Live Rock doesnt seem to impede the flow any and I hope I am getting benificial bacteria out of the live rock?

How are you getting the water to flow through the filter sock in chamber 1? The water flows through the over flow and down the tunnel to the bottom of the chamber. I've seen people convert chamber two into holding a filter sock before. I also have seen multiple people use a skimmer in chamber 2 before and don't think you'll have a problem. I would be interested in seeing how you have chamber 1 set up with the sock if you have any pics.

Right now the only thing I did was take all the Bio Balls out and added 2# of live rock in the secnd chamber. I was asking where I should put the filter sock. What would Cheteo do for me? I have a refugium built for chamber 2. How should I set that up? I have a Tunze ATO that I want to install. How did you guys put your in? I also have the trim kit on my Solana.

I am going to do all my work during the next WC which is in a couple days. How should I set up my chamber and mount the ATO?

Edited by sefrayser

I don't have a Tunze but would imagine the set up to be similar to what I did. Also, I don't have a filter sock. I'm using the stock skimmer in chamber 1, I built a media rack for chamber 2 with eggcrate. It has purigen, chemi-pure elite, and chaeto and is lit on a reverse cycle, then in chamber 3 I have my top off float switches. I have an auto top off dot com unit with dual float switches. The second is an emergency shut off to prevent tank overflow. This is clamped to the tank wall with a plastic bracket and plastic screw. The pump is located in a 5.5 gal tank in the bottom of the stand.

Chaeto will grow by consuming excess nutrients in the tank. Mostly phosphates. It will help to out compete bad algae. To get the nutrients out of the system, you will periodically have to harvest the chaeto.

Good luck...

Chamber 1: Stock Skimmer and heater

Chamber 2: Removed bio balls and carbon replaced with Chemipure Elite. Removed blue sponge on top rack and replaced with filter floss

Chamber 3: return pump and Tunze Osmolator on the Tunze ATO magnetic rack.

I am contemplating building a media rack/refugium for the middle chamber. There is talk of Intank building a media rack for the Solana and I might purchase that when its available. I'll then run filter floss/cheato/chemipure elite.

Here are some pics of the rear chambers:

IMG00061-20101018-1804.jpg

IMG00091-20101031-1017.jpg

IMG00085-20101031-1013.jpg

Anyone know if the Finnex HMO 150w titanium heater fits into the heater space in the Solana? I've got a 50w stealth sitting in #3 at the moment.

How about experience with the heater itself? It's 36.50 from amazon with free 2nd prime shipping.

For all of you with Tunze 9002 skimmers!!

for those who HAVEn't done this modification, DO IT!!!! What a difference!!!!

+ eleventy billion!

Here is an updated shot of mine. Recovering from an urchin experiment to remove some dreaded red turf algae. The only thing it removed was all of my coralline!

5230198069_5208e08d78_b.jpg

Yes, take out the bio balls. Never heard anyone mention moving the stock skimmer to the 2nd chamber before. I can't imagine how this could be beneficial. When the water level is kept lower than 1st chamber overflow, the level in the first chamber is maintained at the appropriate level for the skimmer by the overflow.

There isn't an easy way to use a filter sock with a solana. Many people do use media bags for carbon, gfo and other things. Popular media are chemipure, chemipure elite, and purigen. All three come in media bags that go directly into the sump. Most people put media in the 2nd or 3rd chamber and maybe chaeto which is a macro algae that removes nitrate from the water.

Maybe someone can chime in here. Looking to upgrade my skimmer from stock and want to go the HOB route. Tank is all SPS. Hoping that someone with a Solana who has gone with a HOB can provide advice to which skimmer is best under $250. My second chamber is a chaeto fuge with light on the back. Need to fit a HOB without moving the Chaeto light. Need all details as to where to place input / return piping etc. Thanks

Anybody running a "decent" looking LED on their Solana? I have the disco ball running 20k and still don't get that "pop" sensation color on the corals. :huh:

I think mine is decent looking. Guess I need to get off my duff and add a build thread for my Solana to join the club. The LED array is pretty much stock Evil, but I had a custom frame built to span the 20" tank. Corals all pop and the tank runs cool enough that the heater goes on and off even during the day.

Petco, petsmart, pretty much any pet store

Hah, it's funny, because I never go to the local big box pet store, just the sole proprietor LFS.... which doesn't carry a little air valve like this. Doh!