Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hypes 39 gallon LED Powered Cadlight

Rehype

very interesting. why shoot at 5.6 instead of something faster (or, should i say "wider open"?)? maybe i need to consider looking at shutter speed instead of aperture (i am even more newb at photography than reefing).

well firstly because you have larger depth of field(this makes it easier to get most if your subject in sharp focus) and secondly because most lenses perform their best at around 5.6

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks alot Dave. I'll try to get some more this weekend. The hungrier he is the more active he is and it's a bit easier catching him out in the open.

Dang. thats nice.

Thanks alot kyle. That compilation is really nice.

two things,

1. what do you have on it for a lid??

and 2. Is that Golden dwarf Moray eel reef safe?

Im using the glass canopy that came with the with the tank

Yes the golden moray is reef safe although i would advise caution with really small fish(such as small gobies green banded,convict etc..)

You have quite a unique fish selection! I like your style a lot :)

I think its called the "get the nicest and most expensive fish" collection. haha I wish i could have your set up ReHype. Wow.

BTW im getting a Golden dwarf next week!

Yes the golden moray is reef safe although i would advise caution with really small fish(such as small gobies green banded,convict etc..)

thats ok then. I dont have anythin smaller than 2" Except for my hermits.. arg. lets hope he eats those damn things. I dont have what it takes to take them out, so maybe he will.

I think its called the "get the nicest and most expensive fish" collection. haha I wish i could have your set up ReHype. Wow.

BTW im getting a Golden dwarf next week!

thats ok then. I dont have anythin smaller than 2" Except for my hermits.. arg. lets hope he eats those damn things. I dont have what it takes to take them out, so maybe he will.

Thanks. Well the stocking list for this tank was to get nicely colored fish that would get along together.

Let me know when you get the dwarf id like to see pics. Dont worry about him bothering your hermits or snails.Mine is totally uninterested in them. As long as they are well fed they are one of the most docile fish ive ever owned.

Needreefunds

Just another common, cheap fish added to the collection. :rolleyes:

My buddy has a taste for the finer things in life :lol:

You sure know how to put together a sweet nano my friend ;)

Great pics as always. B)

Looking forward to that FTS :happy:

Just another common, cheap fish added to the collection. :rolleyes:

My buddy has a taste for the finer things in life :lol:

You sure know how to put together a sweet nano my friend ;)

Great pics as always. B)

Looking forward to that FTS :happy:

:P Hey richie you know my motto...If your going to go..GO all out :D Thanks alot buddy. The FTS is going to be a little disappointing since theres like 2 frags ..lol.

Hey rehype, your inbox is full. ill send you the pics when it has room k.

Inbox cleared..Sorry bout that

are you using a nimble nano to clean your glass? i was reading back through the cadlights owner's thread and saw that you had at one point posted that you were using that. i had asked Jerome whether he thought a nimble (even the super) would work for 8mm glass, and he was thinking 'probably not' but he was going to look into it.

just seeing what you were doing at this point. glass cleaning (especially in tighter spaces) is getting a little problematic for me.

Hey tim im actually using the nimble nano and it works perfectly. Ive used on this tank and my previous cadlight and it works flawlessly. Jerome makes an awesome product.

Hey tim im actually using the nimble nano and it works perfectly. Ive used on this tank and my previous cadlight and it works flawlessly. Jerome makes an awesome product.

are you using the super?

So all of my balling chemicals came in the other day.This includes chemicals for keeping my magnesium,alkalinity,calcium in check as well as to replenish depleted trace elements. Ill have to get around to testing my water and adjusting the dosing pumps accordingly but this will help keep my water parameters as close to natural sea water without too much intervention on my part.Which in turn will help me run a successful zeovit/ultra low nutrient system fingerscrossed

Balling.jpg

Do you really think the Mg supplementing is needed in a smaller tank like this? Do corals consume Mg at a high rate like they do with Ca and Alk, or do you think water changes could keep it in check? I know two part (Ca and Alk) is very common. I'd love to get a nice dosing pump so I don't have to dose every morning, but it's very hard to afford when I keep buying corals!

Also, what chemicals are those? I use brightwell two part, but you have to shake it before dosing, so it couldn't be used with a pump for that reason.

Hype. Enough is enough. get some real coral in this tank please. I'm living vicariously through you.

lol all in due time david. The plan is to get everything dialed in before i start adding corals so i can monitor exactly whats being used by the corals once they've been introduced.And then to replenish accordingly. Remember only bad things happen when you rush in this hobby.

Do you really think the Mg supplementing is needed in a smaller tank like this? Do corals consume Mg at a high rate like they do with Ca and Alk, or do you think water changes could keep it in check? I know two part (Ca and Alk) is very common. I'd love to get a nice dosing pump so I don't have to dose every morning, but it's very hard to afford when I keep buying corals!

Also, what chemicals are those? I use brightwell two part, but you have to shake it before dosing, so it couldn't be used with a pump for that reason.

Well i wouldnt say Mg dosing is absolutely nescessary in nano tanks.But consider our tanks are very small and resources are depleted quite rapidly.In tanks stocked heavily with sps the relationship between Calcium,Alkalinity and magnesium is very important to keep balanced. Maintaining proper levels of magnesium serve to prevent excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate from our aquarium water and thus makes it easier to maintain high levels of calcium and alkalinity which would no doubt accelerate instead of stunt the growth of stony corals.

The dosing chemicals are Fauna marin balling chemicals:

Calcium Chloride

Magnesium chloride

Magnesium Sulphate

Sodium Bicarbonate

Ultra Trace B Heavy Metal

Ultra Trace B Iodine-Flourine

Ultra Trace B strontium Barium

Very beautiful fish and photos, I love this thread.

I'm reading your posts on dosing carefully. Is it necessary to dose both Mg Sulphate and Mg Chloride?

Very beautiful fish and photos, I love this thread.

I'm reading your posts on dosing carefully. Is it necessary to dose both Mg Sulphate and Mg Chloride?

Thanks so much ap. And the answer is yes.

Well i wouldnt say Mg dosing is absolutely nescessary in nano tanks.But consider our tanks are very small and resources are depleted quite rapidly.In tanks stocked heavily with sps the relationship between Calcium,Alkalinity and magnesium is very important to keep balanced. Maintaining proper levels of magnesium serve to prevent excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate from our aquarium water and thus makes it easier to maintain high levels of calcium and alkalinity which would no doubt accelerate instead of stunt the growth of stony corals.

The dosing chemicals are Fauna marin balling chemicals:

Calcium Chloride

Magnesium chloride

Magnesium Sulphate

Sodium Bicarbonate

Ultra Trace B Heavy Metal

Ultra Trace B Iodine-Flourine

Ultra Trace B strontium Barium

I am curious to see how much Mg+ your livestock consumes. What kind of water changes do you plan on doing? A 5g bucket weekly would be a 15% change or so. I am thinking this alone might be enough to replace trace elements in anything less than a packed-to-the-walls SPS tank. But like I said, I am curious to see how much Mg depletion you see :). Do you plan on testing for the trace elements? Or just doing it by eye?

I am curious to see how much Mg+ your livestock consumes. What kind of water changes do you plan on doing? A 5g bucket weekly would be a 15% change or so. I am thinking this alone might be enough to replace trace elements in anything less than a packed-to-the-walls SPS tank. But like I said, I am curious to see how much Mg depletion you see :). Do you plan on testing for the trace elements? Or just doing it by eye?

Im pretty certain the amount will be very small and any reefer would able to keep this parameters stable by doing water changes using a high quality salt. However one that has a tank with a large amount of sps and clams would have to do 5% water changes just about every day to keep these parameters in check.So in most cases dosing of some two part solution is done on a daily basis. The only difference here is the doser is taking care of this on a daily basis and regardless of the amount mg,c,alk or trace elements being used its being replenished. The best thing about the profilux is it can dose as little as 1ml! So its nearly impossible to overdose if testing was done properly.This is all with hopes to help maintain my water as close to natural sea water as possible and run a successful zeovit system. With all that said i still plan to do 5-10% water changes on a weekly basis and to dose trace elements in small amounts

lol all in due time david. The plan is to get everything dialed in before i start adding corals so i can monitor exactly whats being used by the corals once they've been introduced.And then to replenish accordingly. Remember only bad things happen when you rush in this hobby.

haha sorry if that seemed out of character, i'm just constantly enamored with the hardware going into this tank and i guess i'm having trouble waiting to see what kind of life is going to go into this tank...

weird.

Archived