Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

You are right, I was just starting to look and posted the first one I saw, with hopes of starting some nice conversation about what macro lenses people have experienced and which ones are good with the tank shots, etc...I thought thats what these forums were for, conversations? I didn't realize I had to come to the place full of research already?

You are questioning my choice to purchase a DSLR or my purchase choice? Or the Macro lens or both, or just anything I ever want to buy? I can't buy camera equipment and want to get something of quality? Or I can't be thinking about a future lens (macro) for shots I'm wanting to take someday and ask about them? I just want to discuss things here about photography and photography with aquariums, this crap is not necessary. Again, I was just trying to start a conversation about macro lenses, what did I do wrong? Did I need to start another thread on that subject instead?

I made that statement thinking one day I would probably own two decent kinds of cameras; Canon and Nikon, just like I own two different cars etc, I might find things I like in both and want to have both, what is so bad about one day owning both brands that you would question my senses? I don't recall ever saying "well a Canon is a...well Canon"...but apparently you have me memorized.

I wasn't arguing against or for Tamron or Canon, I wanted opinions and feedback on the lenses. I don't know how or why it looked or sounded like an argument, and didn't intend it to. Opinions were my goal, and I apologize if you or anyone thought I was trying to argue, because I've never used any of these lenses, and just wanted to know what others thought of them. I got the feedback from here and elsewhere, and made my decision. I have nothing against Tamron, Sigma, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta or any other non Canon brand, really I don't.

Yes, and I'd probably own the sign out in left field at Yankee Stadium that says NIKON too.

Thank you. I apologize for not going out and reading all the google'd articles on "macro photogrpahy", I prefer to discuss and ask question, but I do appreciate the links. Sorry to have bothered anyone.

Yes I guess you rowled me up enough it slipped out, you win. :P

ok, so i'm not sure if anyone else has said it, but if not, i'll be the d1ck to do so...

it gets really annoying when people with too much money and too little experience come around asking very very simple questions ALL THE TIME. having the most expensive camera with an awesome collection of fast glass isn't going to change the fact that you have no clue how to use your camera. it'll literally be years before you have the skills necessary to use some of the capabilities of the camera you bought. while there is something to be said for having nice stuff, having the nicest stuff doesn't mean you will be able to take amazing pictures with it. the camera is just a tool that digitizes light. my dSLR (which is now worth something in the neighborhood of $300) does it the exact same way your $3000 camera does. what matters more than anything is who is holding the camera.

yeah, a macro lens will help you take nice macro shots, but did you ever consider that you can achieve the same effect with your 24-70 (or whatever the hell lens it is you bought) by standing back, zooming to 70mm, firing away, and then cropping. lord knows you've got enough megapixels to do so!

sorry to sound like an ass, but i am one. that's all. continue.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That pretty much sums it up, Andy.

I'll add to it, that I refuse to have a discussion with anyone who can't figure out a simple search in google that will answer their questions. Hence, all the comments poking fun about the "but it's a Canon" thing and other comments you've seen on here. What's worse is that you don't even have a functioning camera yet, and we've had to deal with you hijacking threads for a good month or more to ask questions or "have discussions" that you could have figured out doing a simple search on google or here. When you get the camera, we'll have a whole new set of "how does aperture work, and what about shooting fish, and...?" even though all the questions have been answered before - here and elsewhere.

Secondly, I doubt anyone following this thread really believes you've looked for opinions on here (unless it's backing up your own). 05x gave you many valid reasons to choose the Tamron, and your "argument" (try definitions 2-4: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argument ) against the Tamron was:

I'm kind of under the impression that none of the third-party lenses are going to be overall as nice as any of the f lenses from Canon.

You had no intention of getting the Tamron, no matter what 05x's opinion was. So what's the point of having a discussion with you about anything? You're just like the noobs in the general discussion, looking for approval to do something and ignoring anyone who gives you an opinion different than your own.

Your comparison of the two different cars has absolutely nothing to do with two different cameras. Cars are a transportation need, presumably you and your wife have different places to go. You can't just pull the engine out of one and stick it in the other in a couple of seconds. Back to the "more money than sense" thing - two different camera brands means two copies of every lens. When you decide you need the 400mm L lens, you gonna drop a few grand each to have one for both systems? Thats beyond retarded. And while we're at it - Sony's pretty nice, gonna get their system too? Pentax? Fuji? Or how about Hasselblad - they're top of the line with Canon/Nikon...

Personally, I don't care how I'm coming off right now. If/when you come up with something that hasn't been discussed a million times, seem willing to listen to opinions that aren't your own, and figure out that great camera equipment isn't the same as a great photographer, I'll be ready and willing to have that discussion.

Until then, we'll just stick with...

"lol, we all knew you got the Canon cause...well, it's a Canon"

-_-

ok, so i'm not sure if anyone else has said it, but if not, i'll be the d1ck to do so...

it gets really annoying when people with too much money and too little experience come around asking very very simple questions ALL THE TIME. having the most expensive camera with an awesome collection of fast glass isn't going to change the fact that you have no clue how to use your camera. it'll literally be years before you have the skills necessary to use some of the capabilities of the camera you bought. while there is something to be said for having nice stuff, having the nicest stuff doesn't mean you will be able to take amazing pictures with it. the camera is just a tool that digitizes light. my dSLR (which is now worth something in the neighborhood of $300) does it the exact same way your $3000 camera does. what matters more than anything is who is holding the camera.

yeah, a macro lens will help you take nice macro shots, but did you ever consider that you can achieve the same effect with your 24-70 (or whatever the hell lens it is you bought) by standing back, zooming to 70mm, firing away, and then cropping. lord knows you've got enough megapixels to do so!

sorry to sound like an ass, but i am one. that's all. continue.

yep...I started out with the rebel XT years ago. and some crappy lenses

*nod*

We're most definitely not trying to scare you away from the hobby... but researching for yourself should be top priority right now.

I bought my first sigma lens in january and Im sold now

the only nikon lens that was on my list was the 300/4, but then I discovered that sigma made a 100-300/4 so now there are no nikons on my short list

third party is where the players play

does my fisher price camera count?

I know its not nikon or canon, but hey

oh and can someone tell me everything and then ill disagree with everything that you told me

kthxbye

TriggerHappyDude

I'm not understanding where all this hate is coming from? We're all allowed our opinions but I'm here to say that your opinions and judgments of me are really off. There are so many statements up above I wanted to reply to all but its just not possible, since you all have already made up your mind about me and have me all figured out I don't stand a chance, but you all don't know me at all. I'll just try to hit a few key points and I'm sure I'll ramble on some too.

So really I just don't understand what I did to deserve all the beef? Because I started posting questions and comments about the 5D Mark II and stuff directly related to the camera and what to use with it etc, or just because I didn't get a lens that was suggested or advised? That doesn't mean I didn't value the opinion and consider the suggestions. I started posting here to try to make some friends, whom I can ask dumb/noob questions to and not feel ridiculed for doing so. Instead I was crucified for doing what this very medium is designed and put here to do? This is supposed to be a resource for information that I'm looking for. I can google topics all day long and read online wikipedia pages about stuff, but I value peoples opinions and first hand knowledge more, and enjoy banter back and forth on subjects. And trust me I know how to use google, its funny you think I don't, but one of my first searches on google brought me to some pages on this very site. Amazing little search engine isn't it?

I don't even see where I did an "epic threadjack", which was commented right after I posted my camera pictures (at least I guess it was towards me? I'm probably wrong.)...I mean I posted pictures of my new 5D Mark II in this thread titled "Any 5D Mark II Owners?" because I became an owner! How is that considered a thread jack? The OP asked about owners, where did I go wrong?

I supposed the lens talk got off subject, but the OP hasn't even replied since the original post, so I didn't see any harm in talking about lenses to use with the camera in the thread title? Is that a big no no? I've tried to stay in this thread with my questions since they all pretty much pertained to the 5D Mark II in some capacity, I don't think I've hijacked any other threads? But maybe I did slip somewhere?

I'm sorry I've wasted some of you people's time with my noob questions, but I appreciate those who have responded with actual productive feedback and not the snide comments or straight up flaming posts. If you really didn't want to answer something that has been asked a million times, you could have just moved along and ignored me, how hard is that?

I don't understand why you'd go out of your way to reply with the flame, instead of some valuable information? I wasn't flaming you all? I'm sorry if any of you feel I devalued your opinions just because I didn't go with the suggestions you posed. Thats not the case at all. The information was absorbed and evaluated, I promise the opinions mattered.

I've been saving up for a while now, over two years, so I could purchase some photo/video equipment and a computer to use along with it, which will be sometime after the baby is born; but I won't be sharing that joy here knowing that I'll just be shamed for not buying a Commodore 64 as my assumed starter PC. Besides there not a real forum area to post about computers, to get mostly serious answers.

The only reason I'm apologizing for whatever is because I'm not here to fight or flame, like some, I just wanted some information. I guess a few of you would rather me go elsewhere and not waste anyone's time anymore, you gotta release this hatred.

After all this negative feedback around the 5DM2, I guess I've decided to send it back along with the lens, and go with something a little more down to earth you all have helped me with my decision to do this, your opinions have changed me...be on the look out for the new thread...coming soon to NR!

The Mamiya DL28, it comes with an AF 80mm f/2.8 but, I get a FREE choice of an AF 55mm f/2.8 or 150mm f/3.5, so which one of the FREE lenses should I get?

I kid, I kid... :D

To make a long story short, what it comes down to is most of the people on this forum would love to have the cash to blow on a 5DMkII right now, but for most of us that is not the case. However on that note most of us have been using canon cameras for a while now and have experience with them. I think what most people a frustrated with is that you a purchasing things because of features they may have that you aren't really even experienced with and will probably be way over your head for awhile. Basically people hate the idea of wasting that much money, because in reality if you were to purchase the canon T1i and the tamron you would probably get the same results as your 5D and the L glass, and it would have been at the fraction of the cost. The 5d is most likely way beyond your needs, but if you have the cash to do it, more power to you. Or you could use the spare cash to feed some homeless kids or something, but whatever (jk). Heck if you have enough spare cash and would like to get me a 5D as well I'd take it. In the long run all that matters really is that for the price your happy with the results you get.

This is pretty sad if true...

it is VERY true. You could take the T1i and the tamron lens..I could take my 1DIII and my 24-70L

we both take pics of the same flower or object. I will bet you my camera you would NEVER be able to tell the difference between them. Now when it comes time for serious High speed action. Thats where my 1D will crush the rebel in AF power and speed. When it comes to still subjects and relatively easy things to shoot. It will be pretty hard to tell the difference between what is what combo. Tell ya the truth..The difference between the T1i and the 5DII the 5DII stomps it for its High ISO noise performance, full frame and build. BUT if your with both cameras and same lens in good light you are going to find its gonna be hard to say what camera took what photo.

I really don't care how much money you spend or what you buy with it. It's yours to do what you want. My XT does everything I need it to do. What is grating on some of our nerves is how you are asking questions about the very very basic things that can be found through READING. We have the same reaction towards those in the general reef forums.

And this is a threadjacking because you're not discussing the 5d itself, but camera basics.

I've tried to not read this thread, but I'm like a moth to a light bulb.

TriggerHappyDude
it is VERY true. You could take the T1i and the tamron lens..I could take my 1DIII and my 24-70L

we both take pics of the same flower or object. I will bet you my camera you would NEVER be able to tell the difference between them. Now when it comes time for serious High speed action. Thats where my 1D will crush the rebel in AF power and speed. When it comes to still subjects and relatively easy things to shoot. It will be pretty hard to tell the difference between what is what combo. Tell ya the truth..The difference between the T1i and the 5DII the 5DII stomps it for its High ISO noise performance, full frame and build. BUT if your with both cameras and same lens in good light you are going to find its gonna be hard to say what camera took what photo.

Not the part of the statement I was saying was sad if true, it was more about the thoughts and feelings of people toward me and my purchases that were being summed up.

I really don't care how much money you spend or what you buy with it. It's yours to do what you want. My XT does everything I need it to do. What is grating on some of our nerves is how you are asking questions about the very very basic things that can be found through READING. We have the same reaction towards those in the general reef forums.

And this is a threadjacking because you're not discussing the 5d itself, but camera basics.

+1

Not the part of the statement I was saying was sad if true, it was more about the thoughts and feelings of people toward me and my purchases that were being summed up.

the key in my "more money than sense" phrase is the SENSE part. No one cares that you have the money to buy what you want to, it's your complete ignorance on any topic involving cameras and photography and inept reading skills.

TriggerHappyDude

I'm pretty sure most of my questions have been related to equipment to be used with the 5DMkII in some way or another or the camera functions itself. Afterall, a camera isn't really a functioning camera without the additional equipment I have been asking about. So I disagree with me threadjacking, its been done by everyone else who wants to rip into me for their frustrations. I've tried to stay on track with the thread about the camera, and its additional equipment, that I purchased which is in the title of the thread. The title is pretty vague, open ended to discussion about the 5DMkII.

You're a moderator, if there is a list of rules that specifically say what kinds of questions, basic or complex, users can post, please point me to them, I want to follow the rules. I never imagined I could grate on so many nerves just by purchasing a camera and discussing basic questions in a public forum, where I thought it was designed and intended to be used for those exact things? I guess since everyone here is a highly trained professional and too well experienced to deal with basic questions, I will try to keep them off this message board. Lord knows we don't want people asking questions and the experts helping them out. That would be awful.

You're a moderator, if there is a list of rules that specifically say what kinds of questions, basic or complex, users can post, please point me to them, I want to follow the rules.

There are no such rules, only opinions. Feel free to disregard them. ;)

I guess since everyone here are highly trained professionals and too well experienced to deal with basic questions, I will try to keep them off this message board. Lord knows we don't want people asking questions and the experts helping them out. That would be awful.

As Daniel stated, your reading comprehension is a bit lacking. We're all for helping beginners, but we expect you to help yourself also. No one is claiming to be an expert.

When you start actually taking and posting pics, then I'll be able to help.

+1 This is absolutely true. I upgraded from a rebel to a 5D primarily for its high iso performance,ergonomics, and the ability to shoot video in low light(with good results) . I actually had the camcorder and slr at the same time and thought how cool it would be to have just one device. But if not for that i would have kept my rebel/tamron 17-50/100 macro combo because it took some truly fantastic photos.

TriggerHappyDude
the key in my "more money than sense" phrase is the SENSE part. No one cares that you have the money to buy what you want to, it's your complete ignorance on any topic involving cameras and photography and inept reading skills.

Well what have you provide to this thread that shows your expertise on the 5DMkII?

Besides ripping into me, there are no posts at all here with your inputs on the camera, or any effort to help the, as you put it "retarded" out. Its quite ignorant of yourself to judge someone so harshly based on some lines of text, thats bad for a "photography god" like yourself. Hope you don't treat your clients the way you treat me on here. Wow.

I upgraded from a rebel to a 5D primarily for its high iso performance,ergonomics, and the ability to shoot video in low light(with good results) . I actually had the camcorder and slr at the same time and thought how cool it would be to have just one device.

All things that drew me towards the 5DMkII as well, just to name a few.

You're a moderator, if there is a list of rules that specifically say what kinds of questions, basic or complex, users can post, please point me to them, I want to follow the rules. I never imagined I could grate on so many nerves just by purchasing a camera and discussing basic questions in a public forum, where I thought it was designed and intended to be used for those exact things? I guess since everyone here is a highly trained professional and too well experienced to deal with basic questions, I will try to keep them off this message board. Lord knows we don't want people asking questions and the experts helping them out. That would be awful.

Less arguing and more picture taking. I think we can all start fresh . So c'mon guys bring it in :grouphug: Let restore this section to its former glory.

3077557055_b64e0a6797_b.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Nice, please provide the specs on what was used to produce this picture, details!

Nice, please provide the specs on what was used to produce this picture, details!

canon 50D and a Canon 100 2.8 at 1:1 shot at F11 magnification with 580EXII diffused.

TriggerHappyDude
canon 50D and a Canon 100 2.8 at 1:1 shot at F11 magnification with 580EXII diffused.

Cool, now post some taken with your 5D Mark II...! :)

Archived