Top Shelf Aquatics

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

The 5D Mk II is not a camcorder, yes it does have some of the functionality of a camcorder, but it is more of a manual video camera when it comes to the video. If you wanted a camcorder, buy a camcorder, don't buy something that is not a camcorder and then bash it when you find out it is note a camcorder.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
seahorsedreams
The 5D Mk II is not a camcorder, yes it does have some of the functionality of a camcorder, but it is more of a manual video camera when it comes to the video. If you wanted a camcorder, buy a camcorder, don't buy something that is not a camcorder and then bash it when you find out it is note a camcorder.

Chill. Take a Tums. I don't think my thread is going to make the Canon stocks bottom out. If you're gonna be a b!tch out of the blue in the lounge, at least make your post something funny and politically incorrect, not a weak lecture from my senile Grandma.

oh snap!

I get better results with my old Hi 8 camcorder!

Yuck this is bad. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about videos. But I figured a camcorder in a camera couldn't be that complicated. O.O

Hey Renee what software are you using to edit the videos? Ill be the first to admit its not easy to use an slr for video. But practice makes perfect and if you stick with it you can get some stellar results. JMO

seahorsedreams

I'm using a high tech expensive program... Windows Movie Maker :-) I really just want to get some good video of the tanks and some up close and personals with some of the fish... oh, and maybe a shot of the kids if they are doing something cute.... or something really stupid.

If this isn't possible for an amateur, I will get an actual camcorder. But I would really like to video some of the behaviors of my fish.... with whatever would suit my purpose better.

Do you have program suggestions, something that would work if I wound up getting a HD camcorder instead?

I'm using a high tech expensive program... Windows Movie Maker :-) I really just want to get some good video of the tanks and some up close and personals with some of the fish... oh, and maybe a shot of the kids if they are doing something cute.... or something really stupid.

If this isn't possible for an amateur, I will get an actual camcorder. But I would really like to video some of the behaviors of my fish.... with whatever would suit my purpose better.

Do you have program suggestions, something that would work if I wound up getting a HD camcorder instead?

Ive heard sony vegas works really well for video editing on PC's. You should be able to get the results your looking for. Ive seen alot of really good small videos made on the 5D. I think its just a matter of mastering the technique for getting the best results. But if you decide to pick up a camcorder ive owned the canon Vixia HG21 and it produced some really great results.(in good lighting) So if your looking into a camcorder i would definitely recommend it.

TriggerHappyDude

From everything I've gathered, the 5D Mark II video is not the best camera for folks who want a quick video on a PC, I was able to get some quick video out of it, but not using Windows Movie Maker. I have Adobe Premiere, and other Adobe tools to convert the video to a viewable format. Once I get my Mac, it should be a lot easier to get workable video. You should spend some time on Cinema5D.com and read the forums there where they discuss using windows tools to import/export video. The quality of video issues you are having strongly suggest operator issues, because I know first hand, being new to the camera as well, that it shoots HD quality video just fine...some of my simple sample videos here on YouTube, no editing at all, just shoot and convert...but I have a pretty good low light lens, 24-70mm f/2.8L, so that makes a big difference...

My YouTube Videos

Make sure to click the "HD" option to view the HD version.

This is the forum for PC users on Cinema5d...

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=29...6b7c2fa5509682e

TriggerHappyDude
I get better results with my old Hi 8 camcorder!

Yuck this is bad. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about videos. But I figured a camcorder in a camera couldn't be that complicated. O.O

I don't think the video is that bad, especially for something converted .flv and uploaded to Photobucket.

Not sure what you are looking for? A true HD video is going to be very big in size and probably not going to be easy to upload to photobucket for viewing...

Do a search on ExposureRoom for Canon 5D Mark II and look how big some of the real videos are on there...you are complaining about a video that seems to have lost a lot of its HD quality when converting and putting up on the photobucket site, not sure its the best comparison to what the 5D Mark II actually gives you.

Can you please tell us what lens you are using as well?

I'd think to some really great video results of your tanks fish you should use a macro lens like the Canon 100mm or something...like this guy tested out...

http://exposureroom.com/members/Aseesl8er....d46b3101e7bf8e/

seahorsedreams

I'm using the Canon 100mm and the 50mm (1.4). I'm saving for the 24-105 L so I'll have a more general purpose lens.

I'm not looking for movie quality, but I honestly COULD get better videos with my Hi-8.

I have no doubt there are peeps that can make the video feature purrrr on this camera. I have no doubt I'll probably never be one of them :-)

If I could figure out how to keep the fish in focus I would be perfectly content. That's all I really want. When I was looking in the Live View screen it looked perfectly sharp and in focus. But then when you watch the video you can see they are not in focus at all. When a fish moves out of the set focus range you can't even tell if you are getting it back into focus or not by looking at the screen.

TriggerHappyDude

The 5D Mark II video mode isn't the best for fast quick auto focus so yeah, its not going to act like a camcorder in that aspect. However, I wonder why a nice lens, at the right settings, would not be good enough to keep your fish in focus when filming? Your examples so far have been quite far away from the tank, are you wanting closer shots or right where they are now in the examples?

I'm using the Canon 100mm and the 50mm (1.4). I'm saving for the 24-105 L so I'll have a more general purpose lens.

what aperture are you using when you're shooting. if you're shooting wide open, your DOF is going to be super thin (especially on that 50/1.4)

not sure how the movie mode works on that body, but i'd crank the ISO and stop the lens down to somewhere between f/8 if you can

TriggerHappyDude

Andy,

I'll do a test video tonight with those exact type settings and see what I get.

I have a 50mm 1.8, nifty fifty...and my 24-70, we'll see what my tank looks like.

seahorsedreams

Heh, I probably need to go back and look at my settings. I was taking pictures and had it set up for that. I can probably look at the pictures around the video to see what I was shooting at.

That's probably what's messing up my focus. I still wish I could see a little better with the screen.

The 5D Mark II video mode isn't the best for fast quick auto focus so yeah, its not going to act like a camcorder in that aspect. However, I wonder why a nice lens, at the right settings, would not be good enough to keep your fish in focus when filming? Your examples so far have been quite far away from the tank, are you wanting closer shots or right where they are now in the examples?

Closer shots. I'm going to be focusing on fish behaviour and traits.

This could be beyond my scope as well. I think I pull off some pretty good pictures at times of my fish, but that's because I practice really hard and read and practice some more. I get your basics, but I am in no form or fashion a "photographer".

Hellooooo pixel!

Hey Renee i just got a 7D but check out this little

i shot(Be sure to hit HD button) I took this with my canon 100 macro. You should be able to get nearly identical results with your 5DII.
TriggerHappyDude

Here is my test shot...it was set to "M" manual, at f/8, 1/100, ISO 3200, on the 5D Mark II.

I used Adobe Media Converter to create the YouTube HD clip.

Use the "HD" button to view the full HD version. Manually focusing can be tricky.

My Solana Tank Video Clip

Archived