Cultivated Reef

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

Thanks guys, I'm a proud pappa. All these shots are in the full auto mode, I'm still trying to learn and play with manual settings, soon I'll be able to get more efficient with those modes and maybe get some better stuff. He's an awesome subject though!

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah, everyone loves it. He's a bit Jaundice, we are working on that issue now, but he seems to be getting over it now...just a little scare from it.

• 4 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude

Took some pictures of my friends band on Friday night, he's the bass player, it was my first live show gig to use my camera...I think I did ok for a newbie...they had these rotating lights that kept me reeling with the manual settings. I used my 24-70 L and got some decent shots.

3665028540_c688849bcb_b.jpg

3665014666_562c672c67_b.jpg

3664998530_8f6db6d4e0_b.jpg

3665066288_ab9d90e531_b.jpg

3664256127_b1db8318aa_b.jpg

3665057302_b29a6241de_b.jpg

3665040052_8ff7426247_b.jpg

3665038696_49bed88417_b.jpg

3664233655_6084252548_b.jpg

3665017970_f0569f4e4d_b.jpg

TriggerHappyDude
wow its been a while since you posted i thought you broke your 5d..nice shots what iso did you shoot at?

I have not posted in a while, but only because I have a newborn, the camera still works!

Most of these shots were shot at 1600 ISO, f/2.8, 1/100 and sometimes 1/125.

Good job, THD! Try not to center the subject quite so much. ;)

So I centered too much? I should vary the centering and sometimes put the subject left/right to give more of a creative look? Explain.

TriggerHappyDude
Maybe if you start your own critique thread. ;)

Ok I can do that. Please peeps come over and help me out, look for the thread.

• 1 month later...
TriggerHappyDude

Hey, I got a tripod now...love that I can get some more open shots with it and not have camera shake.

I'm going to start tagging along with the guy who shot my wedding photos and getting some free experience, as well as offering some free photo shoots to some friends who have small children, to see if I can get any good shots for them...

Loving the 5D Mark II, its awesome.

I know they are no substitute for a macro lens, but I saw another users pictures that were amazingly detailed and asked about what he used, and he's only using these close up filters...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/12818/S...s_Close_Up.html

Any thoughts on these as macros?

seahorsedreams

Am I ever going to be able to use the video camera! Holy Moly!

Do y'all have a general lens recommendation?

seahorsedreams

How about the 28-105. L is nice, but........

If I was going to rent the 24-105or 24-70, where would you recommend I get it from?

TriggerHappyDude
How about the 28-105. L is nice, but........

If I was going to rent the 24-105or 24-70, where would you recommend I get it from?

You mean 24-105mm L right? The one Andy and ReHype mentioned?

I have not seen or held one, but I've seen video and photo from it and its a nice lens.

Of course I'm going to push the 24-70mm f/2.89 L because I have that one and know its very nice.

This guy has some good information about Canon stuff the lenses have their own pages:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/

As for a lens rental...sometimes local camera shops do, and then there's this place:

http://www.lensrentals.com/

You can click on my Flickr link in my signature to see how some of my photos look; most are using the 24-70mm L lens...its a great one to own. I don't own a flash/speedlight yet, and haven't really needed one, as my 2.8 lens has done a great job with low light well, I guess the 5D Mark II actually has been a big part of that too.

Of course some others can tell you how well they like their Sigma and Tamron lenses, which are usually cheaper than Canon L lenses and in some cases just as good. I've never owned one so I can't give you first hand knowledge.

seahorsedreams
You mean 24-105mm L right? The one Andy and ReHype mentioned?

There's a 28-105 (non "L") lens as well. Difference of 400 verses 1400. Lens Link. I've never shot with an L series lens before. Would I really notice the difference? I know some of you photo snobs :happy: will say yes, but do you know the consensus of the general public? If it was something I'd notice it would be worth paying for. I guess I really need to go rent one.

The lenses I have now, that I use, are the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro and a Tamron XR 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3.

Thank you so much for the links. I'm definitely going to be diving into them.

I like ot take pictures of fish. My tanks at home, at the LFS in low light, aquarium of the specific and maybe underwater if I get up the guts to dip it. My fish tend to have a lot of depth of field.

EDIT: Oh, those personal tidbits about what lenses I have and what I like to take pictures of was to help ya pick a complimentary lens for me :D

seahorsedreams

OMG! I just saw a kit with the 24-105L for over a 500 dollar saving then buying it separate.... I'm going to go throw up now. Dam it!!!!!

seahorsedreams
Not to go off the 5D Mark II subject, as this is a little big about that, its about tripods and ballheads etc...

What do you all use for your stuff? Manfrotto, Giottos, Gitzo, Really Right Stuff, Markins, etc?

I have the Manfrotto 190mf3 with the 3130 head. Any suggestions for a nicer head? I use my 100mm lens alot for fast moving objects.

There's a 28-105 (non "L") lens as well. Difference of 400 verses 1400. Lens Link. I've never shot with an L series lens before. Would I really notice the difference? I know some of you photo snobs :happy: will say yes, but do you know the consensus of the general public? If it was something I'd notice it would be worth paying for. I guess I really need to go rent one.

The lenses I have now, that I use, are the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro and a Tamron XR 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3.

Thank you so much for the links. I'm definitely going to be diving into them.

I like ot take pictures of fish. My tanks at home, at the LFS in low light, aquarium of the specific and maybe underwater if I get up the guts to dip it. My fish tend to have a lot of depth of field.

EDIT: Oh, those personal tidbits about what lenses I have and what I like to take pictures of was to help ya pick a complimentary lens for me :D

Are you unsatisfied with the performance of your 28-300? That seems to cover the "most common" focal lengths, so if you don't have any problems with that lens, I see no reason to double cover the 24 - something mm length with another lens. You've already got the macro and 50/1.4 which should more than cover your low light shooting needs.

The jump to L glass is incredible and will definitely be noticeable in terms of sharpness and color saturation.

seahorsedreams

I was never super excited about the 28-300mm. I bought it originally many moons ago for either the Elan 3e or the 7e. It was great with the film camera... but it never popped with the digital. But I haven't tried it with this camera.

I try to use my 50mm like an all purpose lens... but everyone's rooms are too small for me to use it sensibly :happy:

Archived