SaltCritters.com

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

Just curious if there are any Canon 5D Mark ii owners around here. I do not own this camera since it's a little out of my pay grade but would love one some day. I have been looking at HD video cameras and my wife wants to replace the 300D she uses. Would be the best of both worlds to get the benefits of the 5D and be able to take 1080 HD video using the lenses I already own.

Just wanted to live vicariously through others hoping the price point will eventually come down a little.

Here is a link: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=17662

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems to have the best resolution to date..the best High ISO noise as well..you do know the HD video only allows you to take i think its like 10min of video at a time. No matter how large your memory card is.

The camera is nice if you want FF. Its just a damn shame canon used the SAME old focus system that was in the old 5D instead of making something a bit better and making the camera that much better.

15 mins worth of continuous video iirc

OP: i'm looking to upgrade my body in the near-ish future. currently leaning towards the 5D2

it seems to have the best resolution to date..the best High ISO noise as well..you do know the HD video only allows you to take i think its like 10min of video at a time. No matter how large your memory card is.

The camera is nice if you want FF. Its just a damn shame canon used the SAME old focus system that was in the old 5D instead of making something a bit better and making the camera that much better.

I know that was one of the major gripes that people were having and why some were just holding onto their original 5Ds.

15 mins worth of continuous video iirc

OP: i'm looking to upgrade my body in the near-ish future. currently leaning towards the 5D2

Interesting...didn't realize that the max was 15 minutes. I wonder if that has to do with buffering.

I still hope canon surprises us on the 25th this month with a 3D :)

I'm sure Canon will come out with something that will have everyone a buzz.

I'm sure Canon will come out with something that will have everyone a buzz.

or they will release something stupid like a new rebel

I still hope canon surprises us on the 25th this month with a 3D :)

3D speculations?

my pipe dreams:

5D2 sensor (same MP, low light characteristics as the 5D2)

no HD video capabilities

upgraded AF

now the real question is if it'll be a gripped monster like the 1's or will be the more traditional form factor like the 5

The focus system is a big drawback, as 05X said.

To be honest, I'd still rather have a 50D. :unsure:

see they coulda cleaned up and made an AWESOME camera if they woulda made a new focus system that was like a 15 point with ALL cross type..none of that 9point and 3 invisible ones. 15 point layout coulda have had much better coverage for shooting especially when in vertical shooting position. Personally that is another reason I will never use anything but a 1Series unless canon comes out with a focus system like that with much better coverage over the frame. Granted 9point isnt bad on the 1.6crop beause its a much smaller area and it covers better but still the diamond pattern is not that great.

3D speculations?

my pipe dreams:

5D2 sensor (same MP, low light characteristics as the 5D2)

no HD video capabilities

upgraded AF

now the real question is if it'll be a gripped monster like the 1's or will be the more traditional form factor like the 5

everyone has been talking 3D or 7D for years..but who knows...a perfect 3D camera to me would be

Built in grip body like the 1 series

15MP personally I would hope for 1.3x cause its a good compromise of reach and width or the 1.6x

8fps

Micro Adjust

15-18 point focus system with all points being cross sensative and the center being cross and diagonal like the 40D and 50D

3" VGA screen

Contrast detection AF in live mode

HD vid

Price it around $2400

but who knows..canons Idea of a 3D is probably a 50D with an 18MP sensor and no other updates. and same old ass crappy 9point focus system

i just can't see them making a *D model that is a crop - especially since 3 slides so nicely in between 1 and 5, which are both full.

i just can't see them making a *D model that is a crop - especially since 3 slides so nicely in between 1 and 5, which are both full.

1D is not FF its a 1.3x crop the 1Ds is FF

really? i was unaware. i retract my previous statement then..

yes there are 2 1D's

the 1DMKIII its 10mp, 10fps and 1.3xcrop $3500

the 1DsMKIII 21mp, 5fps, and FF $6500

yes there are 2 1D's

the 1DMKIII its 10mp, 10fps and 1.3xcrop $3500

the 1DsMKIII 21mp, 5fps, and FF $6500

yeah, i knew that, except for the crop factor. similarly, i was looking at the 1Ds2 as an alternative to the 5D2

One thing I always wondered about Canon, and I guess this applies to all, but why couldn't they have come up with some naming conventions for their cameras that actually make sense. I understand the progression from the 300D --> 20D --> 30D, etc. but once you get up into the 1Ds it is as confusing as hell.

Also, I guess I don't understand why they keep bringing out a new camera when basically all they are doing is boosting the megapixels and making changes to the sensor for less noise at higher ISOs. Honestly, for me, I will probably never make a wall size print so the 8.2 MP on my 20D will suffice. Plus, I got it 6 months ago for <$200 barely used. Granted I would like something full frame or 1.3 crop.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my photo magazine you can only take 4 minutes of hd video with the cannon and 5 with the nikon d90

They also make some sweet hd video tripods to get a steady shot and also one that uses a counter weight at the bottom to supposedly make your vids less shakey

According to my photo magazine you can only take 4 minutes of hd video with the cannon and 5 with the nikon d90

They also make some sweet hd video tripods to get a steady shot and also one that uses a counter weight at the bottom to supposedly make your vids less shakey

Canon 1080P..nikon 720P and AWFUL rolling shutter problem

If you want HD video, buy an HD camcorder. This swiss army knife approach can only end poorly, imo.

agreed. i don't like the current trend of canon putting HD video capabilities in their DSLRs. just because my iphone is capable of controlling an ICBM doesn't mean that it should be used that way.

Thats actually inaccurate You can get closer to 24 minutes of HD video at 1920X1080.

agreed. i don't like the current trend of canon putting HD video capabilities in their DSLRs. just because my iphone is capable of controlling an ICBM doesn't mean that it should be used that way.

I disagree. Although a video enabled slr will never replace a true hd camcorder . It certainly doesnt mean its isnt capable of recording excellent hd video. It certainly isnt as easy to use as your everyday hd consumer camcorder. But in capable hands you can get some excellent results. Most of which rivals the quality of consumer hd camcorders currently on the market. Once again the video feature isnt for noobs but in hands that are willing and able to use it properly the results speak for themselves. JMO

TriggerHappyDude
I disagree. Although a video enabled slr will never replace a true hd camcorder . It certainly doesnt mean its isnt capable of recording excellent hd video. It certainly isnt as easy to use as your everyday hd consumer camcorder. But in capable hands you can get some excellent results. Most of which rivals the quality of consumer hd camcorders currently on the market. Once again the video feature isnt for noobs but in hands that are willing and able to use it properly the results speak for themselves. JMO

I've been questioning some of the video from HD camcorders vs. the videos I've seen with the 5DM2...

Take for instance your link above to the NIN video, to me that is just awesome.

I went out to www.viemo.com and did a search for some video from the VIXIA camcorders (ones I'm considering buying) and I can't find any that are as good as the 5DM2 videos...

Examples:

5DM2

http://www.vimeo.com/3342835

The particular VIXIA camcorder I'm looking at is the VIXIA HF S100 and I can't find any video on those, as they are brand spanking new and not out yet...but I figured the previous models would compare...they don't really...

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:VIXIA

Why is this? What gives? Is it the MD2 lenses? I thought the HD camcorders would be better?

A lot of the videos on this site you need to play then stop and wait for it to stream load, otherwise its choppy.

Archived