Top Shelf Aquatics

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

Why is this? What gives? Is it the MD2 lenses? I thought the HD camcorders would be better?

A lot of the videos on this site you need to play then stop and wait for it to stream load, otherwise its choppy.

Its a combination of many things.. the large Full frame sensor is excellent for for controlling noise at higher iso sensitivities in addition to letting in more light . Not to mention you can use Fast(low aperature) lenses that allow for better subject isolation. This can be done with professional series HD Camcorders but they are a bit more expensive. Check out this comparison between the 5D and Red(a $17500 pro hd camera)

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

Wow, after seeing that and reading your post, I think the 5DM2 is a better choice for me than buying say a 50D and then the VIXIA HF S100 camcorder, with the 5DM2 I'll have lenses to help me get awesome video in HD...what do you all think? 50D with one or two lenses $1500 + VIXIA HF S100 $1100 = $2600 (the price of the 5DM2 body roughly) then just get a few lenses...and I'll have some awesome HD video and a pro-ready camera...I don't need hours of video, just some good HD quality stuff, short and sweet looking!

Oh and its all in one piece of equipment...

Wow, after seeing that and reading your post, I think the 5DM2 is a better choice for me than buying say a 50D and then the VIXIA HF S100 camcorder, with the 5DM2 I'll have lenses to help me get awesome video in HD...what do you all think? 50D with one or two lenses $1500 + VIXIA HF S100 $1100 = $2600 (the price of the 5DM2 body roughly) then just get a few lenses...and I'll have some awesome HD video and a pro-ready camera...I don't need hours of video, just some good HD quality stuff, short and sweet looking!

Oh and its all in one piece of equipment...

I had a 50D and canon hg21 i decided to sell them and invest in one piece of equipment. Im just like you for the fact im not trying to make feature length films just short pieces. So for me the 5D2 was the perfect investment.It a great slr and in capable hands a excellent hd cam. just my 2 cents..

TriggerHappyDude

I'm SOLD! Guess I'm on my way to Epperson Photo and Video! Or B&H or who ever has the best prices!

How is this for the first lens to match up with it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5839...5D_Mark_II.html

I can't find the lens he's talking about in this video however, a 24-205mm lens?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EO...eo_review.shtml

I guess the hard thing is the manual focusing?

I can't find the lens he's talking about in this video however, a 24-205mm lens?

pretty sure he meant to say 24-105, which is the kit lens that ships with this camera

TriggerHappyDude

That's what I thought andykee, and that would be a good kit to start with don't cha think?

That's what I thought andykee, and that would be a good kit to start with don't cha think?

Yep its a great all around lens. Great Focal range,great IQ and it has IS which helps when taking video as well as stills.

TriggerHappyDude
I don't own a Mark 5D (my poor butt owns a 40D) , but if you are looking into buying one, try newegg.com they offer a 12month payment plan on anything over $1k

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830120305

Thanks, this seems to be the better deal though, the kit, for me since I have no lenses already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16830120307

This would be a great start. I think this is the best solution for me, unless I can get a consumer camcorder with very similar IQ as the 5DM2?

TriggerHappyDude
image quality

Of course, I figured this out before I could edit the post. Thanks, yeah now that I know I can get a certain IQ in the 5DM2, I don't want to give that part up...unless I can get it in a consumer camcorder from around $1k? Which you basically told me I need the pro quality ones, that are like $3k plus...

I think I'm ok with the fact I could own a very nice, camera, that also does some video. I've come 360 degrees on this, last week, I was all about keeping the two separate, and now I'm all about it in this ONE particular camera. The audio to me is fine, heard samples, the IQ is what blows me away. From all the samples I've viewed online, that is the kind of clips I'll be doing, I don't want hours of HD video in one movie, I want to put bits and pieces together, add some music here and there, etc...

This camera produced this video:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...;articleID=2326

I know its a professional, with a list of major lenses, but if this can be done, I can create something of a amature like video, with similar style...as my art. Not comparing my work to Vincent Laforet, no way. Just saying I can do the clips, add music, bla bla bla, and make some pretty neat home videos, that are much more entertaining than the typical home video with boring audio and lots of fast fowarding.

I think the Mark II is the answer...maybe. :)

be careful on stuff that seems to good on some odd sites..check the reseller ratings..Adorama is fine..but just dont fall for the ones that seem like crazy deals.

TriggerHappyDude
be careful on stuff that seems to good on some odd sites..check the reseller ratings..Adorama is fine..but just dont fall for the ones that seem like crazy deals.

Yeah, you showed me that earlier and I've been using it, its easy to spot the scams.

$3499 seems to be the going rate on the kit...and $2600 for the body only.

TriggerHappyDude

Now I'm starting to think the Canon 24-70L f2.8 lens might be better for me to start with?

But the body and this lens puts me over what I told the wifey my new investment would cost us.

Here is my plan for lens purchases...

1. 24-70 f/2.8 (first lens for sure)
  2. 100mm f/2.8 (macro for tanks shots)
  3. 70-200 f/2.8 IS (to give me some range)
  4. 50mm f/1.4 (just another solid Prime lens)

I think you need to slow down...Buy the camera and the 24-105 kit lens the 5D comes with..Learn how to use the camera first. Buying all kinda high end gear does not mean your gonna get great shots right off the bat. Stop looking ahead and planning things that you want to buy down the road and just learn the camera first. Personally I wouldnt waste my money on the Canon 50 1.4..it has subpar build, it is known to be soft at 1.4 and isnt really sharp till f2 and slow USM focus motor. if you want a 50 get the Sigma 50 1.4

it seems to have the best resolution to date..the best High ISO noise as well..

Actually no, the best resolution (in a DSLR) is the D3x and the best high ISO is the D3 or D700...

I also agree that it makes sense to slow down. The 24-105 kit lens appears to be a very nice lens and I personally would stick with that.

Actually no, the best resolution (in a DSLR) is the D3x and the best high ISO is the D3 or D700...

I also agree that it makes sense to slow down. The 24-105 kit lens appears to be a very nice lens and I personally would stick with that.

-_- ...Nice first post to come to the aid of Nikon

I am sorry I dont see that Sony sensor in a over hyped and WAY WAY overpriced D3 with a sensor slapped in it with only a little bit more MP beating the 5DII...I have seen its ISO test and it is nothing to write home about once you get higher up in it. The 5DII I will bet has better high ISO noise then the D3 and D700 and with DOUBLE the amount of megapixles. So if its that clean with 21mp..I would bet it would BLOW them out of the water using sRAW file format.

-_- ...Nice first post to come to the aid of Nikon

I am sorry I dont see that Sony sensor in a over hyped and WAY WAY overpriced D3 with a sensor slapped in it with only a little bit more MP beating the 5DII...I have seen its ISO test and it is nothing to write home about once you get higher up in it. The 5DII I will bet has better high ISO noise then the D3 and D700 and with DOUBLE the amount of megapixles. So if its that clean with 21mp..I would bet it would BLOW them out of the water using sRAW file format.

That probably wasn't the best choice for a first post but I have been reading the other forums as I am getting back into saltwater/reefing after a long hiatus. It's amazing how much has changed. Photography is something that I am a lot more familiar with.

Not trying to be a Zealot or fanboy here, just trying to represent the facts as I see them :) (which I hope is reasonably objectively). I'll say for the interest of full disclosure that yes I do shoot Nikon, a D300 with some nice glass.

That said, I stand by what I said. In terms of absolute resolution (notice I didn't say cost vs. performance) what I have read leads me to believe that the D3x win here. Sorry for posting a link to KR, I find him as annoying as the next guy, but I foundthis comparison interesting.

As far as the noise dpreview's tests show high ISO being where the D700 (and D3 as they are very similar) have an advantage over the 5D Mk II.

Now this is all strictly based on performance. If you NEED 21 megapixels than you get a lot more bang for the buck out of the 5D Mk. II. Personally I would take high ISO performance over megapixels, I shoot a lot of sports and lighting in indoor gyms tends to be crap.

Regarding the price of the D3x yes it is a lot of money and I won't be buying one anytime soon. However it is the same price as the 1Ds III when it came out (I heard that Adorama is sell D3x's in store for $7299). It's not meant for everyone, and IMHO it is the THE BEST at what it does. That is a high resolution studio camera. Yes it is not perfect at high ISO, but that is not what it's meant for. A side effect of more megapixels with current technology is noise. That's why the D3/D700 beat the 5D mk II when it comes to noise.

My take on the 5D mk II is if you need 21 megapixels (you probably don't) than the 5D is the better camera. If you need high ISO and weather sealing (be careful with the 5D around water) than the D700 is the better bet.

Just curious, why doesn't Nikon make their own sensors?

Canon does right?

*place tongue in cheek* maybe they use the savings in R&D to make cameras that work 1D Mk. III anyone?

LOL..Nikon has a FF 24MP camera compared to the 1DsMKIII that canon came out with about 3years ago and took them this long to catch up. I like How a link about the 1DIII focus added even though that has been sorted out already. Plus the D3x is what the 1DIII was priced at release..Now you can get the 1DIII for about $6000 so once again Nikon is behind the ball on that as well. I and MANY Nikon shooters I see think the D3x is a fail. It is basically nothing more then a D3 with a 24mp chip tossed in and added a $3500 price hike..GTFO

You can keep your Nikon

Archived