Top Shelf Aquatics

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

Well if you already have a tripod, you can do this and its free.

Do you have some footage of you doing these kinds of techniques with the monopod?

Well it isnt actually possible to do those techiniques with a monopod(at least not smoothly).But Its definitely a cool technique for those who work with tripods. But for me personally i wouldnt able to utilize that technique since i dislike using tripods.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does the monopod do for you or do better than a tripod? Why do people like monos?

Well i love the portability of monpods as opposed to tripods. There are certain places such as museums that wont allow you to bring a tripod in but will allow the use of monopods. I also find i can work much faster with monopods.The speed at which i can "put together" and "breakdown" the monopod is really helpful when trying to shoot on the go. Just my personal preference though...

TriggerHappyDude
Thats what I'm curious to see, what the discount actually is. Even if its a $100 or less, thats still not bad, unless with tax it comes out to be more than an online order? I just want to know the figure before I pull the trigger...

Heard today that George is a Canon dealer, so his prices come direct from Canon.

He's trying to get a quote on a big list of new equipment for his business and the upcoming "graduation" season, and my 5D Mark II is in as part of this quote along with the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens...so once he gets that quote, I'll know how much it will cost me.

TriggerHappyDude

:lol: That is funny looking!

Its also a funny thing you mention that one, one of the guys who does video for our local newspaper online, mentioned taking some video with the Canon 5D Mark II and used that very setup...check it...

http://tannerherriott.com/?p=782

Only thing I don't like is the video guy knocks the stills that the 5D Mark II takes in his text...WTF?

So did I read this article you posted right, that setup is configurable to the 3 types you showed in that picture?

I could see using the other 2, but that handlebar one is just too weird and funny looking, agree with you!

What is this setup accomplish? Looks manageable. I'd have to play with these in person to give any real opinion.

MOD-524096_redrock_dslr20.jpg

This sounds nice...

"Canon is a leader in the explosion of interest in DSLR video with our ground-breaking Canon 5D Mark II DSLR camera with full HD video," said David Sparer, senior manager, Professional Product Market, Canon U.S.A., "Redrock's new DSLR 2.0 gear is a fantastic accessory which can be used with Canon DSLR cameras, and delivers a portable, lightweight shooting rig which can help adapt use of our DSLRs to fit many diverse needs."
Only thing I don't like is the video guy knocks the stills that the 5D Mark II takes in his text...WTF?

he does? where?

TriggerHappyDude

4th paragraph...whoops, I misread it...he's knocking himself...ha, sorry. Thought he was saying it captures audio as poorly as it captures stills, which didn't make sense, I will be a better blog reader from now on. He was saying the audio is as bad as he is with stills...

For what it is, this camera records some amazing video. Unfortunately, it captures audio about as poorly as I shoot stills. There are some work arounds that I’ve read about online, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. It records a 30p 1080 image into a H.264 video codec.
  • 3 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude

Man, I've been waiting and searching for the 5D Mark II Kit now for weeks, missed a golden window a few weeks back, waiting on a "hook up" that has now failed me...sure wished I knew when these things would come back in stock!

TriggerHappyDude
at least you won't get grey market now

:P They accidentally let their contract lapse with Canon, so they are sending off the paperwork to renew it, and I don't want to wait for whatever time that would take, to order through them and get their discounted prices, unless I haven't found one online by then, they're going to let me know when they can order again, and I could possibly still get one through them. But right now I'm tired of waiting, so I'll keep my eye open online. I don't have much choice right now as no one has them online. So either way, I'm still waiting.

I think I've changed my mind and decided to just get the kit instead of a body and a lens, however, if everyone online continues to be out of these, I might have to just get the body and pick a lens.

A local camera shop here in OKC has the kit and body, at the same prices as everyone else, but I'd have to pay tax, I thought about asking them to discount the camera in such a way that I pay $3499 out the door...to compete with the online retailers out of state. Worth a try I guess.

A local camera shop here in OKC has the kit and body, at the same prices as everyone else, but I'd have to pay tax, I thought about asking them to discount the camera in such a way that I pay $3499 out the door...to compete with the online retailers out of state. Worth a try I guess.

Maybe offer to pay cash, I know a shop I go to will sometimes give a slight discount for cash sales.

TriggerHappyDude

Well it was going to be cash, not credit, well my bank card, the money is in the bank, not throwing it on an actual credit card, but it is my band card, which is visa...?

Well it was going to be cash, not credit, well my bank card, the money is in the bank, not throwing it on an actual credit card, but it is my band card, which is visa...?

plastic != cash

when you pay cash, they can record the sale price at whatever (reasonable) value they want. when you put it on a card, there is a paper trail.

TriggerHappyDude

I don't think this retailer would do it because cash was offered, its either they deal with my situation or not...

TriggerHappyDude

From Planet5D & Canon Rumors

“the crew working on the next Harry Potter movie has 2 Canon EOS 5D Mark II cameras on set for filming. And, they’re using Panavision lenses on the 5D2s.”

Read more here: http://blog.planet5d.com/2009/05/rumor-har...avision-lenses/

That’s Iron Man 2 and Harry Potter apparently using the 5D Mark II’s. It’s safe to assume updated firmware is being used.

thanks mitch

cr

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I ordered my 5D Mark II, should be here Wed, body only.

I got tired of waiting of a kit to come in stock, and besides I think I want the 24-70mm f/2.8 L anyway.

I might add the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens for $114, so I'll have a couple of decent lenses to begin with.

I'm very excited. Glad to join the Canon DSLR family.

the 50 1.8 sounds like a decent deal..BUT once you touch it and pick it up. You will say YUCK..it feels like a mattel toy. The optics are decent its just way way to crappy and cheap of a build plus a pretty inaccurate AF motor in it. Had 2 and the 2nd one I didnt even use on the camera before i returned it...I thought my 1DIII was gonna just swallow it or the thing just break in half mounted on a huge body

TriggerHappyDude
the 50 1.8 sounds like a decent deal..BUT once you touch it and pick it up. You will say YUCK..it feels like a mattel toy. The optics are decent its just way way to crappy and cheap of a build plus a pretty inaccurate AF motor in it. Had 2 and the 2nd one I didnt even use on the camera before i returned it...I thought my 1DIII was gonna just swallow it or the thing just break in half mounted on a huge body

So for the $114 bucks, you don't think its worth having around? Guess I could save a bit more and step up to the f/1.4? You think the 24-70 f/2.8 is a good start? I know you're big on your Sigmas, but we'll discuss those when I'm ready for my next set of lenses...

personally i dont think the 50 1.8 is worth opening the box..LOL

the 1.4 is better but its still laking..micro USM, build is better but not great and most of them are not sharp till about f2

Id look at the Sigma 50 1.4 pretty much all the reviews put it ahead of the canon 1.4 Except The-Digital-Picture.com

Personally I think that site is good for something to read and see how things are but not to take serious..Site is BEYOND canon fanboy..he never says anything good unless its a canon. I wouldnt ever go by the reviews there.

TriggerHappyDude

I kind of felt the Canon fanboy overflowing there...but its got good specs etc...

I'll check out the Sigma 50 1.4, thanks.

Archived