ReefCleaners.org

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

I kind of felt the Canon fanboy overflowing there...but its got good specs etc...

I'll check out the Sigma 50 1.4, thanks.

or you could go with a nice contax zeiss 50 1.4 if you dont mind manual focus. Im actually picking one up later this week. I had one a while back and realized how much i missed it. One of the sharpest lenses i ever used. This is the old planar T Version not the new ZE.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
or you could go with a nice contax zeiss 50 1.4 if you dont mind manual focus. Im actually picking one up later this week. I had one a while back and realized how much i missed it. One of the sharpest lenses i ever used. This is the old planar T Version not the new ZE.

Unfamiliar with that brand, but do I want a fully manual lens? Not sure.

Unfamiliar with that brand, but do I want a fully manual lens? Not sure.

well if your really excited about using the video function it would only benefit you to get used to using manual focus. Not to mention with a manual lens that you get to manually control aperature.

TriggerHappyDude
well if your really excited about using the video function it would only benefit you to get used to using manual focus. Not to mention with a manual lens that you get to manually control aperature.

This is true. So on the Canon AF lenses, when you turn them off auto and put on manual, can you then control manually control your aperature, or does it have to be a fully manual lens, like the one you suggested?

PS. I am excited about the video...will be using it maybe half the time.

summers.enemy

The auto focus switch on the lens controls just that...focus. Doesn't have anything to do with setting the aperture. The aperture you will always control with the body.

This is true. So on the Canon AF lenses, when you turn them off auto and put on manual, can you then control manually control your aperature, or does it have to be a fully manual lens, like the one you suggested?

:huh:

focus != aperture

On canon lenses and any other AF/MF lens you cant manually control the aperature when shooting video. However with a Fully manual focus lens you can override this shortcoming.

TriggerHappyDude
The auto focus switch on the lens controls just that...focus. Doesn't have anything to do with setting the aperture. The aperture you will always control with the body.

yes I realize this, I was just trying to figure out if the AF/MF combo lenses would allow me to manually control my aperature like a fully manual lens would, in VIDEO mode on the 5D Mark II, Rehype answered my question.

:huh:

focus != aperture

I understand that as well, see above.

TriggerHappyDude
On canon lenses and any other AF/MF lens you cant manually control the aperature when shooting video. However with a Fully manual focus lens you can override this shortcoming.

So all the people who are complaining about the video mode of the 5D Mark II, because they don't have control over the aperature, why don't they just use a manual lens and be over that issue? They can't use the auto focus anyway with their AF lenses in video mode, so why not slap a MF lens on there and have what they want, control over the aperature?

Ah, I forgot you're the video guy. :lol:

Not quite, but its 1/2 the reason I bought the camera. I do intend to use the video a lot.

I would like to create some nice videos and get my artistic side going...but I'm so new I'm neither the video or photo guy yet...hahaha. Just a guy.

So all the people who are complaining about the video mode of the 5D Mark II, because they don't have control over the aperature, why don't they just use a manual lens and be over that issue? They can't use the auto focus anyway with their AF lenses in video mode, so why no slap a MF lens on there and have what they want, control over the aperature?

Well thats not entirely true you can use AF in video mode but its very slow and clumsy so most stay away from it. Id just assume most consumers are ignorant of alternative options... but any google search can provide excellent workarounds.

TriggerHappyDude
Well thats not entirely true you can use AF in video mode but its very slow and clumsy so most stay away from it. Id just assume most consumers are ignorant of alternative options... but any google search can provide excellent workarounds.

Ok, well I have seen some "workarounds" such as taping part of the camera etc...but I'm not going to all that mess. So if I just bought a fully manual lens, that has the same IQ as some of the newer AF/MF lenses, if there is such a thing, and then I can control my aperature, I would have full albeit manual control of my focus and aperature? No workarounds, just manual control?

I forget, do you have this camera? I thought the AF was not available in video mode? Mine will be here Wed, so I have yet touch one of these bad boys.

Ok, well I have seen some "workarounds" such as taping part of the camera etc...but I'm not going to all that mess. So if I just bought a fully manual lens, that has the same IQ as some of the newer AF/MF lenses, if there is such a thing, and then I can control my aperature, I would have full albeit manual control of my focus and aperature? No workarounds, just manual control?

I forget, do you have this camera? I thought the AF was not available in video mode? Mine will be here Wed, so I have yet touch one of these bad boys.

If you buy a fully manual lens you can control aperature so you can control your depth of field for creative purposes.

Yep i have the camera. AF is available but once again its is very slow to lock focus and in real life use i find it be very clumsy. I can manual focus much faster.

TriggerHappyDude
If you buy a fully manual lens you can control aperature so you can control your depth of field for creative purposes.

Yep i have the camera. AF is available but once again its is very slow to lock focus and in real life use i find it be very clumsy. I can manual focus much faster.

Ok, thanks. I can't wait to play with mine, of course right now I don't have a lens, trying to decide on what to buy as my first lens...

Is this a workaround like you were mentioning?

http://www.vimeo.com/2471679

Ok, thanks. I can't wait to play with mine, of course right now I don't have a lens, trying to decide on what to buy as my first lens...

Is this a workaround like you were mentioning?

http://www.vimeo.com/2471679

Yep thats one of them. But its much easier to pick up a manual focus lens IMO

TriggerHappyDude
Yep thats one of them. But its much easier to pick up a manual focus lens IMO

Like the Zeiss and M42? (someone mentioned the same in the comments of that video)

You don't need to buy nikon manual lenses. Zeiss is now making them for Canon as well. Guess what? They were made for us and the video adaptor folks.

Tell me something about these? Do you have to buy lens adapters for each brand? Expensive?

Someone commented that Zeiss have no aperature rings...what does that mean? No control?

I think maybe there are older versions and newer "made for Canon" versions?

I think I see what might be an aperature ring here?

583976.jpg

TriggerHappyDude
Id look at the Sigma 50 1.4 pretty much all the reviews put it ahead of the canon 1.4 Except The-Digital-Picture.com

Personally I think that site is good for something to read and see how things are but not to take serious..Site is BEYOND canon fanboy..he never says anything good unless its a canon. I wouldnt ever go by the reviews there.

So The-Digital-Picture.com is Canon's version of Ken Rockwell's site and Nikon? :lol:

Like the Zeiss and M42? (someone mentioned the same in the comments of that video)

Tell me something about these? Do you have to buy lens adapters for each brand? Expensive?

Someone commented that Zeiss have no aperature rings...what does that mean? No control?

I think maybe there are older versions and newer "made for Canon" versions?

I think I see what might be an aperature ring here?

583976.jpg

Thats the ZE version so you dont need an adapter. If you buy a legacy contax zeiss lens you can buy a contax to eos adapter or a haoda confirmation adapter. All for significantly cheaper than the zeiss ZE lens.

TriggerHappyDude
Thats the ZE version so you dont need an adapter. If you buy a legacy contax zeiss lens you can buy a contax to eos adapter or a haoda confirmation adapter. All for significantly cheaper than the zeiss ZE lens.

Do they still make/sell these new? Or would I have to be searching used equipment?

You'll have to explain these a little better, as remember I'm new to all this stuff.

You can get new Zeiss stuff, but it is $$$ (and REALLY nice for what it is). That being said I would personally not even look new an old used version of the 50 1.4 will probably get you 98% of what the new one will (new ones have new coatings I think?) and will cost less than half most likely. Another lens that might be worth looking into is the Pentax SMC Takumar 50 1.4 which is an M42 lens and has a pretty good reputation (I've used a few and their nice, plus they generally were less than $100 last time I looked).

You can get new Zeiss stuff, but it is $$$ (and REALLY nice for what it is). That being said I would personally not even look new an old used version of the 50 1.4 will probably get you 98% of what the new one will (new ones have new coatings I think?) and will cost less than half most likely. Another lens that might be worth looking into is the Pentax SMC Takumar 50 1.4 which is an M42 lens and has a pretty good reputation (I've used a few and their nice, plus they generally were less than $100 last time I looked).

I totally agree with you wfournier. The old zeiss lens is one of the sharpest 50mm to date. I honestly can say i have yet to use a 50mm that was sharper. The later models of the lens (AE and MM versions) both have the multicoating for sharpness and better flare control. The pentax SMC Takumur is also a fantastic lens for the price however the only problem is it hits the mirror on a 5d or 5D2 at infinity focus. However on crop bodies and 1D bodies its not an issue. However i did have thechance to test the Contax zeiss 50 1.7 and i had no issues whatsoever.

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks Rehype & wfournier! Do you mind sharing some links to these lenses that will work with the 5D Mark II, so I can get familiar with what I'm looking for?

Rehype, do you have any sample footage you've shot on the 5D Mark II with this lens you like?

I'm going to search for some online as well.

Do they still make/sell these new? Or would I have to be searching used equipment?

You'll have to explain these a little better, as remember I'm new to all this stuff.

You would have to buy it on the used market such as keh.com, potn or fred miranda. Or you could always try fleabay. They demand for them has gone up so you might spend anywhere between 200-300.

Thanks Rehype & wfournier! Do you mind sharing some links to these lenses that will work with the 5D Mark II, so I can get familiar with what I'm looking for?

Rehype, do you have any sample footage you've shot on the 5D Mark II with this lens you like?

I'm going to search for some online as well.

The ones i can tell you off hand from what ive heard from other photogs are most of the contax zeiss lenses work fine on the 5D.Some olympus and some nikkor lenses work fine with an adapter as well.

The footage i have hasnt been edited but when i do ill be sure to send you a link.

TriggerHappyDude

So then what should I search for? You've thrown a lot of stuff at me here...give me a specific lens and adapter and I'll do some searches. What is the price difference in the used lens + adapter vs. new lens with no adapter needed? What do I use for search criteria to distinguish the old from the new lens?

Archived