divecj5

I dont own a 5DII but here are some recent pics

JOND0699.jpg

JOND0706.jpg

JOND0712.jpg

2R5W0397.jpg

2R5W0418.jpg

JOND0677.jpg

wow cool shots OX5. I really love the last one the compostition is perfect. hey ox5 was that natural lighting in the last flower shot and what lens and fstop?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
I dont own a 5DII but here are some recent pics

Awesome shots. Its more fun when you provide the details to the shot(s). :D

all natural lighting all are from the 24-70L except the obvious tulip macro..the last pics was at 2.8

Trigger, despite what you might think, it's not a personal thing for any of us who have expressed our annoyance with your posts. It's simply frustrating to deal with someone who hasn't taken the time to learn basic terminology beforehand. If you want links to some good photography primers, I think we'd all be glad to give you our favorites (although Google would be a great starting point, as would some of the old threads around here). Once you can understand the language, and have a fully functioning camera, we'd be more than glad to deal with the more complicated/subtle aspects of photography with you. This post, unlike my other recent ones, is not meant to make you mad (although I stand by my points in the others), so please take a moment to look at it objectively. For example - choosing a macro lens, you could have looked up a list of macro lenses for Canon, Sigma, and Tamron, and read reviews to narrow down the list. The first one to be crossed off would have been the one you chose. You would have realized that you didn't know what 1:1 meant, and could have done a quick search and found an answer, likely in a macro photography primer like the one I posted a while back. Then, we'd have been glad to give opinions on the Canon 100 vs the Sigma 150 of whatever (In fact, I've made that very thread before). Once you help yourself, we can really help you.

As for the recent turn in this thread...I can get behind this :) We can all learn a little something out of posting photos.

My submission...old, but good:

IMG_2430_filtered.jpg

As for the recent turn in this thread...I can get behind this :) We can all learn a little something out of posting photos.

My submission...old, but good:

IMG_2430_filtered.jpg

Very good in fact. hey dshnarw what type of flower is that?

TriggerHappyDude
Trigger, despite what you might think, it's not a personal thing for any of us who have expressed our annoyance with your posts.

How are annoyances NOT personal? :)

It's simply frustrating to deal with someone who hasn't taken the time to learn basic terminology beforehand.

Sorry to have frustrated you with my lack of basic knowledge of macro photography and what not, I know more than you think I do about photography basics, maybe not macro but I do have a some experience in photography, despite the opinion you have drawn of me. I have been reading the links you and others have provided on the macro stuff, its cool, but still prefer conversations and inputs.

If you want links to some good photography primers, I think we'd all be glad to give you our favorites (although Google would be a great starting point, as would some of the old threads around here). Once you can understand the language, and have a fully functioning camera, we'd be more than glad to deal with the more complicated/subtle aspects of photography with you.

Thanks. I've gotten some good links from here and you all.

This post, unlike my other recent ones, is not meant to make you mad (although I stand by my points in the others), so please take a moment to look at it objectively.

Again, not personal? :huh:

For example - choosing a macro lens, you could have looked up a list of macro lenses for Canon, Sigma, and Tamron, and read reviews to narrow down the list. The first one to be crossed off would have been the one you chose.

I honestly don't think I would have been able to come to this conclusion, B&H reviews don't mention a lot about aquarium macro photography, thats why I came here to ask the folks who use macro lenses with their tank shots. I didn't see the harm in asking this on a reef aquarium web site, and still don't. Most of the responses were not personal like yours, so I got the advice needed. I understand your point though, just thought I'd gone to the right place to discuss.

You would have realized that you didn't know what 1:1 meant, and could have done a quick search and found an answer, likely in a macro photography primer like the one I posted a while back. Then, we'd have been glad to give opinions on the Canon 100 vs the Sigma 150 of whatever (In fact, I've made that very thread before). Once you help yourself, we can really help you.

Yep, again, I apologize for asking basic questions and expecting basic help.

I've found a different resource(s) to ask the basic stuff, no worries. ;)

I'm not here to continue to argue with you nor hold grudges, glad you're wiling to help out beyond the basics, when I get to some stuff you feel you can help out one, please chime in, otherwise if you feel my questions are too basic, I ask you just ignore me and move on to other posts, I'll try to limit the basic stuff here though, so I don't start another tangent again. Thanks. :happy:

BTW; Nice picture! Wicked cool.

TriggerHappyDude

He doesn't spend much time here anymore on NR, but I love Kinetic's reef photography...well all of his stuff really, but these blew me away. He is my inspiration.

2299956180_8abc21dbd4.jpg

2299956804_b706a69609.jpg

This is my favorite one...here are some details to what he's using...

Camera: Nikon D80

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)

Aperture: f/2.8

Focal Length: 105 mm

ISO Speed: 200

Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)

X-Resolution: 72 dpi

Y-Resolution: 72 dpi

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows

Date and Time: 2008:02:28 23:23:16

Timezone Offset: -8, -8

Exposure Program: Aperture priority

Date and Time (Original): 2008:02:28 21:37:38

Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:02:28 21:37:38

Shutter Speed: 6965784/1000000

Maximum Lens Aperture: 30/10

Metering Mode: Pattern

Sub-Second Time: 10

Sub-Second Time (Original): 10

Sub-Second Time (Digitized): 10

Color Space: Uncalibrated

Sensing Method: One-chip colour area sensor

CFA Pattern: GREEN BLUE RED GREEN

Digital Zoom Ratio: 1/1

Focal Length In 35mm Film: 157

Saturation: High saturation

Compression: JPEG

Image Width: 1020 pixels

Image Height: 689 pixels

2299160091_8ea75230df.jpg

2256440749_f4e4b8f70a.jpg

2256443417_989940c6e7.jpg

2257240424_d34b91c98f.jpg

2256445723_c31a07be74.jpg

Very good in fact. hey dshnarw what type of flower is that?

Thanks! It's a Bromeliad, Neoregelia genus. Gotta look really close to find the blooms because they're hidden within a little "cup" and only on the plants that look like they've been spray painted pink or red.

BTW; Nice picture! Wicked cool.

Thanks - one of my favorite photos, and taken with a P&S at that :)

I guess you can call anything anyone says or does personal, or just go with the realization that it's the internet, and no one really cares once they close the page ;) Really though - I look forward to intelligent conversation over photo topics with anyone, provided they've done their homework. I'm glad you've found a place that will answer those basic questions for you.

lol, you're forever going to be the fat kid in the candy store though :P

Awww yeah, I miss Kinetic's photos.

+10000000000000000

edit: not sure thats enough 0's...

TriggerHappyDude

A little bit anti-climatic now, but here it is anyway...you all didn't tell me this thing was a "BRICK"? JK! :D

About to head out for the evening with my wife, I will pick up a CF Card at Best Buy to play with.

He doesn't spend much time here anymore on NR, but I love Kinetic's reef photography...well all of his stuff really, but these blew me away. He is my inspiration.

All the gear I see listed as being used in taking those pics could be had for about $1500 or less...

TriggerHappyDude
lol, you're forever going to be the fat kid in the candy store though :P

Why can't I just be like "a kid in a candy store"? Why do I have to be a "FAT" kid? :P

All the gear I see listed as being used in taking those pics could be had for about $1500 or less...

That's cool, thats a lot less than he spent on his ELOS tank I bet, that tank was crazy awesome! :bowdown:

Dont wanna burst your bubble..those are not hard pics to take..those fish are easy as they float around in one spot at times and the one perches..and coral shots cant get any easier as they never move.

A little bit anti-climatic now, but here it is anyway...you all didn't tell me this thing was a "BRICK"? JK! :D

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

About to head out for the evening with my wife, I will pick up a CF Card at Best Buy to play with.

I love being right...

TriggerHappyDude
Dont wanna burst your bubble..those are not hard pics to take..those fish are easy as they float around in one spot at times and the one perches..and coral shots cant get any easier as they never move.

:rolleyes:

that was easy though

It was pretty easy. :)

Now between myself and my wife's uncle we have both the Canon and Tamron, and will be sharing when/if one wants to borrow the other.

A friend of mine wants to go check out the Nikon D5000 tomorrow, he's wanting to shoot astrophotography or something. So we're going to the camera store to see this one in person. Seems like a really cool camera.

I would just like to declare that I have returned from the International Thread Ranking Expo in Chicago and this thread received a rating of "Head Asplode" and the decision was unanimous

TriggerHappyDude
I would just like to declare that I have returned from the International Thread Ranking Expo in Chicago and this thread received a rating of "Head Asplode" and the decision was unanimous

Head+Asplode.jpg

TriggerHappyDude

Well since I'm still learning the beast, I don't have a lot of extraordinary pictures from this weekend.

I will see about posting a few of my favorites from what junk I did take. So you all can rip me.

I am still learning about the camera features, and even how to frame and where to focus etc...

Archived