ReefCleaners.org

Any 5D Mark ii Owners?

divecj5

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah I'm still learning the focus stuff, I missed it bad...how do I get you the exif info? :)

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I'm still learning the focus stuff, I missed it bad...how do I get you the exif info? :)

open up dpp and look under File>info for the shot.

summers.enemy
Thats a decent looking setup there 05XRunner.

I have an issue, the pictures I've taken that are on my PC right now are all in RAW format, but none of my online choices to send them up to accept RAW except my Picasa, but I don't have enough room there. I need to convert or save the current RAW files a JPG to upload to Photobucket etc...still working on this.

Cute puppies.

I'm not sure I understand what your question is so forgive me if I give you the wrong answer. Yes, you will need to convert your RAW files to JPEG to do almost anything with them. Don't try to take them to a printer or upload them places. That's not quite their purpose or function, they aren't really a photo.

There's some easy to understand stuff here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm and here: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photography-t...aw-vs-jpeg.html Just a couple Google results but I think they'll help answer your questions.

i would need to see the exif info from each photo. The last shot looks like it suffered from motion blur or you just missed the focus but to be sure post the exif for each shot.

better browser + right click on images = exif data ;)

his last shot:

Orientation of image: 1

File change date and time: 2009:05:23 00:22:00

Image input equipment manufacturer: Canon

Image input equipment model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Exposure time: 0.025

F number: 1.8

Exposure program: 2

ISO speed rating: 2000

Shutter speed: 5.375

Aperture: 1.625

Exposure bias: 0

Metering mode: 5

Flash: 16

Lens focal length: 50

Focal plane X resolution: 3849.21

Focal plane Y resolution: 3908.14

Focal plane resolution unit: 2

Custom rendered: 0

Exposure mode: 0

White balance: 0

Scene capture type: 0

TriggerHappyDude
Cute puppies.

I'm not sure I understand what your question is so forgive me if I give you the wrong answer. Yes, you will need to convert your RAW files to JPEG to do almost anything with them. Don't try to take them to a printer or upload them places. That's not quite their purpose or function, they aren't really a photo.

There's some easy to understand stuff here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm and here: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photography-t...aw-vs-jpeg.html Just a couple Google results but I think they'll help answer your questions.

I think I was just saying that I set my camera to RAW only, and didn't convert them to anything yet, and so none of my online storage places accepted the RAW format, but I didn't realize RAW wasn't a "viewable" format? So I've changed my setting on the Camera to both RAW and JPG.

But I also haven't installed the Canon Photo Professional software or added the Adobe RAW updates to my Adobe stuff yet either, one of those two should allow me to make some JPGs out of RAW right?

his last shot:

Cool, what browser did that for you?

How does this give you an idea of a good/bad copy?

I think I was just saying that I set my camera to RAW only, and didn't convert them to anything yet, and so none of my online storage places accepted the RAW format, but I didn't realize RAW wasn't a "viewable" format? So I've changed my setting on the Camera to both RAW and JPG.

But I also haven't installed the Canon Photo Professional software or added the Adobe RAW updates to my Adobe stuff yet either, one of those two should allow me to make some JPGs out of RAW right?

Both canon dpp and photoshop cs4 will allow you to convert native raw files to jpegs.

his last shot:

of course i could of done that but that wouldnt have taught him anything ;):):P

Opera. Google Chrome also does this, and Firefox has a plugin if it isn't standard on the updated versions.

By seeing the exif data, we can look at aperture and shutter speed to make some judgements on whether it was human or possibly lens issues. In this case, I'd go with you since it was f/1.8. Not a huge DOF there, so if you missed it slightly, nothing will be focused. More controlled tests would be better for evaluating the lens (although I have little/no doubts that it's fine).

of course i could of done that but that wouldnt have taught him anything ;):):P

o, we're teaching around here?? :lol: lemme get out my ruler...might need to slap some wrists :D

TriggerHappyDude

Hahaha, thanks guys, its my first day of class be NICE!

I'm using Chrome, but don't see where I can do this on a right click?

Hey THD based on the exif the lens is fine. Id say most of that was human error. Try not to shoot below 1/150 for your shutter speed. Its way too easy to get blur from either handshake or subject movement. Also your aperature was at 1.6 which gives you a very shallow dof. In this case you probably would only be able to get your dogs nose or eye in focues if you nailed the shot. For indoor photography a flash would make a world of difference for you. So before you invest in a good tripod id say invest in a flash.

HTH are you guys getting away with those walmart tripods?

I have one too and I can't use it anymore because it won't hold the D80+grip+24-60 2.8 if I tilt it any amount at all

Eh, it works well enough for me. I've tightened it too hard a couple of times and cracked the plastic in places, but it still holds it's positions. It's a Velbon.

Not to go off the 5D Mark II subject, as this is a little big about that, its about tripods and ballheads etc...

What do you all use for your stuff? Manfrotto, Giottos, Gitzo, Really Right Stuff, Markins, etc?

i use a modified Manfroto 055 with the big kirk ball head

isn't the camera/lens too heavy though?

when you tilt the tripod doesn't it want to tip over?

Umm... nope.. never had that problem.

What kind of junk tripod do you have.. one with only two legs? :P

isn't the camera/lens too heavy though?

when you tilt the tripod doesn't it want to tip over?

i've gotta have the legs extended all the way out, otherwise it's super unstable (i.e. i fart and the whole rig tips over)

Umm... nope.. never had that problem.

What kind of junk tripod do you have.. one with only two legs? :P

quantaray $59.99 retail

quantaray $59.99 retail

one of mine was quantaray. camera + sigma 150 macro was too heavy when it was mounted by the camera mount, but the ring mount on the lens was fine.

TriggerHappyDude

I have some tripod from Best Buy I bought a few years ago with a Canon Powershot G3, and I tried out my 5DMKII and the 24-70, it didn't feel safe to me. So thats why I'm shopping.

However, I've been a bit busy since Friday afternoon, my wife delivered our son a few weeks early and unexpected, but mom and baby are doing well, and we should head home today!

I have some tripod from Best Buy I bought a few years ago with a Canon Powershot G3, and I tried out my 5DMKII and the 24-70, it didn't feel safe to me. So thats why I'm shopping.

However, I've been a bit busy since Friday afternoon, my wife delivered our son a few weeks early and unexpected, but mom and baby are doing well, and we should head home today!

Congrats and best wishes

TriggerHappyDude

Thank you, I will try to post some of the cute pics I took during the whirlwind birth.

TriggerHappyDude
where's da babeh pichers?

Here are a few...there are more on my Flickr link in the signature, but these were some cute ones.

Meet Jack Quentin...

3590638512_be0ec522bc.jpg

3589829213_df0d18a9f7.jpg

3590624856_ff800c8a2c.jpg

3590630568_50a962865b.jpg

3590633388_16b86974b2.jpg

3589826669_8442c61299.jpg

He's #1 in our books!

3589805853_aabb09d6b6.jpg

3589803519_65230ce182.jpg

3590600056_ef4867db49.jpg

Archived